Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times

Advertisements

Long story short. I dated a guy on and off for about a year and a 1/2 but we never announced our relationship as girlfriend/boyfriend. Was very fond of this man as I found his friendship/companionship quite refreshing...Sad thing is I don't think he felt the same way I felt. I thinked he viewed me as just a friend.... In November a job opportunity in another city prompted him to up and leave our current city. However before we left, our goodbyes were not on good terms... Have not spoken or talked to him since Nov2012. I find myself wanting to email or text him to say hi and to see how things are going with him, but Im torn....I mean if he wanted to communicate he would call me or email or text...RIGHT????? I mean he has my email address and phone number. I Just don't want to put myself out there and appear needy....Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Just do it. You'll have your answer quicker if you put yourself out there. What have you got to lose?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
It sounds like he has cut ties. Sure, you can make an attempt, but if he ignores you or replies in a negative way, can you handle that? Nothing ventured, nothing gained - but be prepared for the consequences.

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I find myself wanting to email or text him to say hi and to see how things are going with him, but Im torn....I mean if he wanted to communicate he would call me or email or text...RIGHT?????
No. Not if he's like you, right?

Quote:
Long story short. I dated a guy on and off for about a year and a 1/2 but we never announced our relationship as girlfriend/boyfriend. Was very fond of this man as I found his friendship/companionship quite refreshing...Sad thing is I don't think he felt the same way I felt. I thinked he viewed me as just a friend....
You think he viewed you as a friend? Did you not talk to each other?

Quote:
I mean he has my email address and phone number. I Just don't want to put myself out there and appear needy....Thoughts?
I think that people with this mindset drive me crazy.

You don't want to contact him because you might come across as needy?
If you contacted him would you label him as needy?

Call him. Text him. Email him. "Hey, what's up? Wanted to say I was sorry about how things ended with us and wondered how things were going for you in ..."

It's that easy.

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Go ahead and contact him, you'll be able to tell quickly if he wants to talk to you or not. And don't worry about rejection-happens to everyone.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,783,042 times
Quote:
Long story short. I dated a guy on and off for about a year and a 1/2 but we never announced our relationship as girlfriend/boyfriend. Was very fond of this man as I found his friendship/companionship quite refreshing...Sad thing is I don't think he felt the same way I felt. I thinked he viewed me as just a friend.... In November a job opportunity in another city prompted him to up and leave our current city. However before we left, our goodbyes were not on good terms... Have not spoken or talked to him since Nov2012. I find myself wanting to email or text him to say hi and to see how things are going with him, but Im torn....I mean if he wanted to communicate he would call me or email or text...RIGHT????? I mean he has my email address and phone number. I Just don't want to put myself out there and appear needy....Thoughts?
Why bother if he doesn't feel the same way. It could be a painful experience for you to contact him now. I you do decide to contact him you have to adjust your expectations to zero AND be prepared because he could be involved with someone else now.

On a side note your post reminded me of that "torn" song from the late 90s. Anyone remember that one? They played it a lot back then on the radio. It had the line "so I guess the fortune tellers right." That's all I remember about it.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
Quote:
I find myself wanting to email or text him to say hi and to see how things are going with him, but Im torn....I mean if he wanted to communicate he would call me or email or text...RIGHT????? I mean he has my email address and phone number. I Just don't want to put myself out there and appear needy....Thoughts?
He could be thinking the very same thing. In that case, there are two people wasting time, because each is waiting for the other to make the first contact. Someone has to do it. Does it make a difference who does? If it doesn't feel right, then you will have your answer, and you can go about your life.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:55 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,783,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Go ahead and contact him, you'll be able to tell quickly if he wants to talk to you or not. And don't worry about rejection-happens to everyone.
vaughanwilliams = Ralph Vaughan Williams the composer?
"Lincoln County Road or Armageddon", that's from a great Dylan song! From my favorite Dylan album!

Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
No harm in trying to make contact with him, but don't be surprised if he doesn't want to contact you back if he lost interest when he left on bad terms with you.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times
If I decide to reach out? - Does anyone have any icebreakers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships