Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:20 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
That is true.

However, I could also point out that I know a lot of people. Whether they're normal people or not. Got a pretty big sample size of humanity to draw my thinking from.

If you're suggesting that poly is going to become the new norm, I hope you are wrong. That will end with a lot of violence.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:40 AM

20,354 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If you're suggesting that poly is going to become the new norm, I hope you are wrong. That will end with a lot of violence.
I have never said that, and in fact I've said the opposite, MANY times. There have been the odd article on social media that suggested that poly was "the future of relationships" and I scoffed at it. I don't expect it will ever be how the majority of people want to be. I'm fine with that. That article was stupid sensationalistic clickbait garbage. Designed to freak people out.

And I've no idea why it ought to end with a lot of violence, since the poly people I know don't seem to have that problem. But that's just it. They consented to it. It ain't right for most, but it was right for them.

And out of those great numbers of people that I know, most are not poly and most are not part of the kink community. I am involved in other communities as well. It's a thing I do. Extrovert and all that.

And that hasn't got much to do with the topic.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,445,955 times
Spoilers: it’s possible to be attracted to “normal” people and “abnormal” people at the same time

Shocking, I know.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:52 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Spoilers: it’s possible to be attracted to “normal” people and “abnormal” people at the same time

Shocking, I know.
True enough. I can say I've never really had a type, or if I did I never felt bound by it.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:23 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
I haven't read all the posts and I can see things went OT but I don't think men are in every case attracted to today's average woman's body, and women aren't attracted to today's average male body. (As an overall thing and just on visual alone - obviously much more comes into play than the physical.)

I think what men overall are most attracted to is the ideally healthy (by perception, not necessarily reality) female body - large breasts, small waist, large but not overweight hips j- and what women overall are most attracted to is the ideally perceived healthy and strong male body, or "V"-shape.

The average for today, though, isn't really one of those two things. That's in addition to the obvious: we all like different things, and we all base attraction on way more than a one-dimensional image on a screen that we're supposed to push a 1-10 button on. So it's an impossible question to answer as a universal thing.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:29 AM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,034 times
Men are attracted to the average women at first glance much more then vice versa.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 AM

641 posts, read 405,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Men are attracted to the average women at first glance much more then vice versa.
Men are a lot more visual. Women need more mental stimulation to be attracted to a man and that rarely happens from a glance.

Men need to stand out from the average. Whether it's looks or charisma and personality.

On dating sites men will swipe right on a majority, women will with a minority.

Go to a club and you'll have guys hitting up every girl in there, while girls are looking for more of a stand out guy.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:04 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,472,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
overweight hips j- and what women overall are most attracted to is the ideally perceived healthy and strong male body, or "V"-shape.
What about the capital "B" shape?

Old 06-07-2018, 06:44 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,937,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Maybe he longs to be someone attractive enough to have those kinds of experiences, or to believe he is. Because he feels so far on the periphery of any kind of desirability that it hurts a bit (a lot) to read about someone with the kind of sexual power to bring home two very attractive people, or to be one of those captivated by that power. Who would want to admit that he's so scarred and vulnerable that words on a screen can do that? Not me
Wow amazing you are incredibly correct! I am nothing People like you are so smart!

Last edited by BornintheSprings; 06-07-2018 at 06:57 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 08:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I know quite a few poly people these days. I think it is a lot more common than you realize. But it may be more prominent in some places than others, e.g. urban areas.

I haven’t asked but it comes up in conversation, so I assume it is more prevalent than I realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.