Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if there are already threads on this topic...

I'm just wondering what people have done to get over post-breakup depression. It's affecting me in a bad way currently. I cry, have an almost constant sick-to-the-stomach feeling, am unable to concentrate at work, and am just plain miserable! I've hung out with friends and made some calls to mom which make me feel better, but then when I go home and find myself alone again the bad feelings come back. Without giving too many details of the situation, I'll just say I've never felt this way after a relationship before and I'm a bit disturbed by it.

What are some things that some of you have done to get yourself "over it"? Friends have suggested getting out and meeting new people but the thought of getting back out on "the market" and talking up new people just does not interest me at all right now. I've re-organized some things in the apartment and am going to the gym more often. I haven't noticed much change in my mood as a result yet, but maybe it's coming. Has anything been particularly helpful for any of you guys? Please don't suggest drugs! lol Thank you in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 04:29 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,639 times
One thing I did was made sure I was busy so I could stop thinking about it. I went to the movies, hung out with friends, went to the mall (I hate the mall) and just kept myself outside. Even if I wasn't hanging out with anyone, as long as I was doing something it kept my mind away from things.

If all else fails. VIDEO GAMES! :] haha. That's just me though. I like video games.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:33 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Was the breakup mutual? Or were you dumped or did you dump your ex? How long were you two a couple?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I'd think it depends on the situation. The 2 times I had to end a relationship...I was so frickin mad that it was a relief to have them gone. So it never really bothered me that the relationship was over. What bothered me was the time and energy wasted on a couple women that turned out to be a crack horror and a alchoholic. So I was more pissed at myself than anything.
Maybe moving to a new place, or buying a new vehicle would help? Do something good for yourself.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
First of all, keep going to the gym! It will really do you a world of good in a lot of ways!!

Is there something that you've always wanted to learn, a hobby, take a class, anything like that? It's a great time to learn something new and keep your mind busy. And really, as all ready suggested, keep yourself busy....as busy as you can stand. Force yourself to go out and do things, and keep your friends close....you don't have to go out "looking" yet, but get out!

not that I know ANY of this from experience mind you!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:59 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,699 times
I was able to get some relief by escaping into a good book - either humor or suspense worked for me. A friend actually dropped off a whole paper grocery bag of murder mystery paperbacks and I read them all! I also bought some hiking/camping gear I'd been wanting and it helped me to feel hopeful about doing fun things in the future. I went out with friends a lot--more than usual--whether for a few beers or coffee...just being with people helped and my friends were kind enough to let me moan and whine for a while. I'm not a guy, but thought you might still find this helpful....

Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,052 times
Been there.
I walked a lot. I let myself cry as much as I needed to, and did not make myself feel worse about myself by putting a time limit on my grief. I took classes, and brought new things into my life that had to do with my interests. I developed new interests.
I got into a new relationship...very bad idea.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,833 times
Before she came back to pick up her things I rubbed her undies with some poision ivy, hated her for all the reasons I needed to get beyond those feelings, drank alot....that helped. Used some girl I really did'nt care for....

Don't try this at home.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
lol...geez rcm!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 42,422 times
Seven weeks ago, I was in the same situation. Don't know if you're M or F, but I found this forum and asked total strangers for advice. Sometimes it's better that way. I can tell you that you've made the first step by asking! I drank vodka-tonics every night, only to cry and feel like sh** the next day. You HAVE TO be with your friends and loved ones. It hurts dude, I know. I feel you. But IT DOES GET BETTER! She left me after seven years. It doesn't matter. Love yourself dude. Take care of yourself. Going to the gym is a great way to get this off of your mind. I bought a Total Gym for forty dollars! I feel so much better. My prayers are with you. You'll be fine. Be strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships