Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times

Advertisements

In a few months I will be starting my career. This job will bring in a good bit of money.

My partner knows about this and has started to drop things on how we'll be able to do certain EXPENSIVE things in the future, and the expectations placed on me are unsettling.

I will be working 12 hour days, sometimes more.
I was actually hoping to live a frugal lifestyle, not that much more expensive than my current one. Reason is, I want to save for early retirement.

This relationship is serious, and I'd really like to keep it going. So how do I explain these goals without risking loss or disappointment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,735 times
Why are you in a serious relationship at your age? Your only goal in life right now at least outside of your career and family should be getting laid as much as possible with as many different women as possible. Don't even think of getting serious with a girl till you're at least in your early 30s.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
explain to her what your goals are. how you want to retire early etc. this relationship may be serious, but what if it doesnt work out? you dont want her going crazy with your money. better to disappoint now than to resent later. be honest.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:55 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
it depends, was it your partner, that supported you while you went to school, and sacrificed to do so?

i think it's great to be frugal, however, remember, its the journey and not the destination, so, you do have to live along the way

Old 02-26-2013, 02:24 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
In a few months I will be starting my career. This job will bring in a good bit of money.

My partner knows about this and has started to drop things on how we'll be able to do certain EXPENSIVE things in the future, and the expectations placed on me are unsettling.

I was actually hoping to live a frugal lifestyle, not that much more expensive than my current one. Reason is, I want to save for early retirement.

This relationship is serious, and I'd really like to keep it going. So how do I explain these goals without risking loss or disappointment?
There is no need to tiptoe around her feelings. She is your girlfriend, not your wife, and this is YOUR money. Please tell me you don't share a bank account? Why is she even presuming to plan how she will spend YOUR money? If she really cares about you and not your money, she will get over her disappointment and understand. If she has a certain lifestyle in mind that she wants, SHE can get out there and start making the money to live it.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Send her a few links to financial planning websites. If she doesn't get the hint, explain what you want to do with your money.

Doesn't gf have her own job?

As a compromise, start a small separate account for vacations. Put a little in it each pay period. Tell her she can start one of her own. Then plan things according to what you can afford.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

You can correct her by saying "I will be able to do certain expensive things if I choose to."

Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Sanction off as much money as you can into a separate account. Tell her, in order to save for early retirement you are having X% of each paycheck direct deposited into an account you cant touch until your 45/50-whatever age you plan to retire.

Problem solved.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
You are smart to plan ahead. No one needs to count on Social Security anymore. But you don't need to explain frugality to her. You just need to live it.

Go to a financial adviser and set up a retirement account with a certain amount to be automatically withdrawn monthly from your paycheck and deposited into the account. Then forget about that account and be pleasantly surprised in 20 years.

Set aside some for fun, though. Frugality is wise but you need to enjoy life today as well.

Ask her how much she plans to contribute to these "expensive ideas" from HER paycheck.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 02-26-2013 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: remove bad link

Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
For any long term relationship to work, you both need to be on the same page with your financial goals and expectations.

I would start by explaining to her what those are. Basically, early retirement. Tell her your goal is to save a lot, for the purpose of retiring at age X. That you need $Y saved to do it, and intend to devote a large percentage of your income to that.

That doesn't mean you and her cannot do some exciting trips, or spend some either. Don't forget to occasionally treat yourself along the way! Maybe if she sees that both are possible, she will be comfortable and happy with it.

Basically you need some serious conversations, but not adversarial in nature, where the two of you can explain your goals and expectations with finances, and find common grounds where both of your expectations are met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships