Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
marriages with pre-nups are the only real marriages nowadays. They're the only thing that's meaningful. Without one, the "marriage" is less significant than a rental agreement, which is way more binding.

And people forget
PRENUPS CAN HAVE MORAL STATEMENTS IN THEM.
You could even say "We don't believe in divorce without fault", and then just bump down to actually enforceable stuff with severability clauses
I can understand wanting a prenup. I can't understand feeling that all other marriages are bogus because they don't have one. I assure you that my marriage is very real and very binding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
Quote:
I assure you that my marriage is very real and very binding
Nope, no it isn't.
Either of you can leave for any reason AND take the other person's money.
You could be a prostitute, do the business out of your house, and then YOU INITIATE the divorce and the law will still side with you and give you the custody of the kids and tons of alimony from the husband and say "well, it doesn't mean she's a bad mother" (maybe prostitution is exaggurating, but you get the idea)

or if your husband is a lawyer or has a good lawyer, that lawyer will pay off the judge no problem and keep all the money and the house you bothe worked to build and get custody and even get child support from you

the legal scheme is a joke, and "marriage" in any sense of the word doesn't exist in any of our laws

Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
marriages with pre-nups are the only real marriages nowadays. They're the only thing that's meaningful. Without one, the "marriage" is less significant than a rental agreement, which is way more binding.

And people forget
PRENUPS CAN HAVE MORAL STATEMENTS IN THEM.
You could even say "We don't believe in divorce without fault", and then just bump down to actually enforceable stuff with severability clauses
Are you married with a prenup?

Who are you to decide who has a meaningful marriage, and who does not?

Old 04-28-2013, 03:45 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
Quote:
Who are you to decide who has a meaningful marriage, and who does not?
I'm not talking about their interpersonal relationship, I'm talking about the law and whether there's a REAL commitment (you know, when you commit to an ENFORCEABLE commitment, where you can be severely censured for not performing). In this regard, no American marriages are meaningful. I've heard about "covenant marriage" legal schemes in the sun belt states, but AFAIK they're equally unenforceable/meaningless

Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB22 View Post
I would send a condolences card to someone who married without a prenup these days.
I didn't ask for a prenup from my husband, but I also had a financial plan and made smart decisions. It worked out pretty well and it wasn't rocket science.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:02 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
There is absolutely zero point in marriage if you require a prenup.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 AM

29 posts, read 28,807 times
Always a prenup, it saves a lot of trouble later.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonGuy View Post
Always a prenup, it saves a lot of trouble later.
Just don't get married in the first place.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:34 AM

29 posts, read 28,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Just don't get married in the first place.
I won't and I advise everyone to do the same.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
There’s an easier way to keep your assets and income separate: it’s called cohabitation. In most states, cohabiting partners are free to walk away from their relationship with their income and assets intact, all without the hassle and expense of a divorce.

That being said,

If wealth are generated by both parties, but very often, wealth are handed down by rich parents, and they ask their sons or daughters for prenups just to protect the wealth intended for their children.

If I were a single and only child, it is my duty to protect family asset. It has nothing to do with trust issue with future husband, it has everything to do with family asset. I know my folks would want every single one of their child to have a prenup. Nothing wrong with it.

Someone may argue that There are times when a prenup is appropriate. For example, in the case of a second or third marriage where there are pre-existing children to consider, it makes a lot of sense. Both parties should have their own attorneys and plenty of time to negotiate the details in an amicable way.

However, my ex never had a prenup with his ex wife, HIS MOTHER insisted that if we were get married in the future, I must sign a prenup. Yes, it sounds reasonable, but emotionally, I cannot accept this kind of arrangement. That kind of manipulative coercion would have told me everything I needed to know about what kind of miserable relationship I could look forward to.

"I have been screwed by other women in the past, now I don't trust any women. If you love me, sign a prenup." TO me, that is the ultimate insult, I cannnot believe ANY women would fall for that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships