Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 AM

470 posts, read 1,162,736 times

Advertisements

I'd date a woman who lived at home with their parents still O.o, Like other people have said it's more acceptable in other parts of the world. The U.S is weird in some ways, as in some ways it makes perfect since for some people to just live at home, there was even one poster who said all people should move out at 22 O.o weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,804 times
Not a deal breaker if there is real good reasons for it. College, lack of funds, helping family with sickness, lack of job etc... I didn't move outa my folks house till I was on eve of turning 25. Had plenty of reasons why I waited that long until it was right for me.

If shes at home because she's lazy, lacks ambition, no shame or work ethic, absolutely not.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirouline View Post
well if they are obviously mooching - that's a deal breaker on the spot. direct question to you - and it's my opinion - i saw some reviews who are willing to reason - but even with reason of what I read from your post - is it pretty much a dealbreaker whatever situation they are in. (saving money, helping out parents, sick parents, or any good reasons). assuming it gets to the intimate level in the relationship.
I think if he had plans to get his own place soon or if his parents would be moving out in the near future that would be fine, but I wouldn't want to date someone living in the basement with his parents upstairs, even if he owned the home. I think a guy living at home at that age is even harder to deal with than a woman. It is just hard for me to imagine getting really serious about a guy that lives at home like that. I don't want him hanging out at my place all the time either.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
For me, absolutely not, UNLESS like Broken Crayola states above that he was moving out in the near, near future and this was only temporary. Otherwise, it's just not going to happen. I did it one time, and had to deal with the guy's mom every time I wanted to see him..not to mention she would get involved with every little arugment we had. I finally made him come to my place every time we hung out (he had no money to go out) but that got really old...I couldn't respect him when he was living at home with mommy cooking all his meals and doing his laundry while I worked hard to pay my own rent. It just got ridiculous. Plus his mom was one of those "protective of her baby boy" types that literally wanted him to live at home for the rest of his life. What mom actually wants that for their "kid"? I had to dump him. To the best of my knowledge, he is still living at home....No thank you. Never again.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
For me, absolutely not, UNLESS like Broken Crayola states above that he was moving out in the near, near future and this was only temporary. Otherwise, it's just not going to happen. I did it one time, and had to deal with the guy's mom every time I wanted to see him..not to mention she would get involved with every little arugment we had. I finally made him come to my place every time we hung out (he had no money to go out) but that got really old...I couldn't respect him when he was living at home with mommy cooking all his meals and doing his laundry while I worked hard to pay my own rent. It just got ridiculous. Plus his mom was one of those "protective of her baby boy" types that literally wanted him to live at home for the rest of his life. What mom actually wants that for their "kid"? I had to dump him. To the best of my knowledge, he is still living at home....No thank you. Never again.
I dated a woman once who lived on her own. She had qualities that did not appeal to me

Never again will I date a woman who lives on her own

[/bad logic]

Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I dated a woman once who lived on her own. She had qualities that did not appeal to me

Never again will I date a woman who lives on her own

[/bad logic]
Well, to each their own. In my experience, dating this person who did not have any ambition, reason or will to get his own place and dealing with his mom who constantly butted in, and he could never stand up to her or he'd lose his meal ticket were qualities that just did not appeal to me.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Well, to each their own. In my experience, dating this person who did not have any ambition, reason or will to get his own place and dealing with his mom who constantly butted in, and he could never stand up to her or he'd lose his meal ticket were qualities that just did not appeal to me.
The bolded text was the problem, not living with the mother by itself.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Sure...

...but how does what THAT INDIVIDUAL did get you to this

Quote:
For me, absolutely not....No thank you. Never again.
?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM

630 posts, read 1,048,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Maybe it depends on where you live... because where I grew up it wasn't out of the ordinary at all for a person in their mid to late 20s and even mid 30s to live at home and nobody really cared. I mean, when a studio is $800-1000 a month and jobs barely pay over $13 an hour WITH a college degree it can be difficult to find a place and support yourself. I rented a house with 4 other people and my cut of rent and utilities was still around $700 a month, and I didn't even have the master suite. Plus I got to deal with people moving out in the middle of the night right before rent was due, people who simply didn't have the rent, people who jacked up our utilities etc etc.

I actually regret not staying at home during college. It would have made my life MUCH easier.

so true...

Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,804 times
I have a good relationship with my parents and not being social adept and being introverted geek that I was, I stayed home through my college days back in early 2000. Saved myself and parents a lot of money and I don't regret it. Dorm or frat house life would have driven me insane.

My sister on the other hand.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships