Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times

Advertisements

I've never noticed a pattern. It depended more on who had fewer/no roommates and if one person lived in a more convenient location.

Before my partner moved in with me he spent a lot of time at my place because I had one absentee roommate and lived relatively close to where we both worked, and he had three roommates and lived about an hour-long subway ride away. When we moved in together it was to a "neutral" place, but it was a unique situation because we moved abroad together. When we moved back to NYC we got a new apartment together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 AM

142 posts, read 432,026 times
I recently started seeing someone, and I spend way more time at his place than he does at mine.

He owns a 2-bed, 2-bath condo in a really fun, exciting part of the city (Chicago). He keeps his place clean, and it's obvious he takes pride in where he lives. There are tons of restaurants and bars near his place, so we almost always go out in his neighborhood.

I rent a small, one-bed apartment that's on the border of the city and suburbs. My neighborhood is decent, but it's pretty sedate. There's a lot less to see and do where I live, and it's less convenient to get to than his place. My apartment is nice enough (it's clean, and I have it nicely decorated) but the entire place is about the size of his living room. Also... he has a big, flat-screen TV with cable... and I don't.

I've only had him over at my place once, whereas I'm at his place almost every week. I'd actually like to have him over more often, but it's kind of inconvenient, and his place is so much nicer than mine...

Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Whatever makes you comfortable. Personally I've always had the girl live with me.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Most men in their 20's places leave a lot to be desired. I am currently dating someone who likes nice things and takes pride in buying nice furniture and making his apartment his own. So, we spend the night at each other's places equally. Normally Sat at mine and Friday at his.
Oh, yeah, I totally remember that. The guy's furniture would be an old couch from college and some milk crates as a coffee table, he never had an food in the house, and don't even get me started on the bathroom situation.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,278 times
The girl lives with me but that's only because at the time it was easier for her to live with me.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I am not sure there really is a general pattern to be established here. Probably depends on what accomodations each partner has (if they have them). If one has roommates, the other doesn't, one has a nice place, the other kind of a lousy one, etc.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Oh, yeah, I totally remember that. The guy's furniture would be an old couch from college and some milk crates as a coffee table, he never had an food in the house, and don't even get me started on the bathroom situation.
This pretty much described my husbands apartment in college. The couch they had must have been about 25yrs old, easily. The furniture was all "recycled", meaning those moving out would toss it next to the dumpster, and those moving in would have themselves a "new" couch.

It was pretty disgusting. I used to go over there on the weekends and I would wear flip flops in the shower.

I will say that he is pretty neat though, his roommates were another story. I stopped using utensils there when I saw one of them scraching his back under the shirt with a fork, take it to the sink, rinse it and put it in the drawer *vomit*

Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Man, this reminds me of life before my wife! I had a broken up futon held together by zip ties and propped up with a stack of phone books. I had sports stuff everywhere, muscle car stuff everywhere, and never had any food in the place. One time my brother visited and opened the fridge to find no food but lots of beer. In the middle of the living room floor was the flywheel to a 1966 Mustang I was building at the time. My wife on her first visit to my place asked what it is and why I didn't put it somewhere. I shrugged and said, "It IS somewhere!"

Now we have a house with some fairly decent furniture, ranging from Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Arhaus, and Ethan Allen, as well as some less expensive stuff. It is amazing the "before" and "after." In answer to the OP's question, we live together. Always have. Our relationship is based on mutual respect and everything we own is ours, not hers or mine.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
They've moved in with me. My house has always been just a bit nicer than the cardboard box in the alley where I've picked 'em up. Besides that, their boxes would have been too crowded after me and my pets moved in.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
this is actually a great question,,,, and this is the yield in the road for many relationships- who moves in with who? assuming a somewhat equal playing field.. does the one moving in...lose some independence, lose some security, because you no longer have a place that is "yours"? if not married, the home-owner can boot you out at any time, for anything??
and then...how do you split expenses, down the middle, or a ratio/percentage of income??

the common denominator to the potentially very difficult life changing situation, is that if you love the other person- all this isnt so difficult...
but be prepared, once you get out of the bedroom, you better be open to change, or you will be shyttin, where you are eating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships