Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,477 times

Advertisements

I've been a couple, lets call them, semi serious relationships, where I'm more or less living with a girl...and I've always found I'm "living with the girl"...that is, though I have my own place, we're always at her place...

I wonder, is that normal? Or does it typically happen the other way around? My place is usually very spartan...tv, couch, bed room...just the basics. As the relationship grows, I find that I abandon my place and move in with her...just because her place is usually nicer...cozier, if you will.

Is that the way it typically happens? Do guys typically have a place, abandon it, move in with the girl, then get a place together afterwards? Or is it usually the girl who'll give up her place, before you get your own place?

Actually, of the few examples I know of in real life, it's almost always the girl who moves in with the guy (though I'm not sure how serious those relationship were)...so, why has it been different for me?

Does it matter?

It's interesting also because there is a power dynamic to it...who comes to who? Should I want the girl to come to me? Or should I want to go to the girl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 AM

650 posts, read 701,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I've been a couple, lets call them, semi serious relationships, where I'm more or less living with a girl...and I've always found I'm "living with the girl"...that is, though I have my own place, we're always at her place...

I wonder, is that normal? Or does it typically happen the other way around? My place is usually very spartan...tv, couch, bed room...just the basics. As the relationship grows, I find that I abandon my place and move in with her...just because her place is usually nicer...cozier, if you will.

Is that the way it typically happens? Do guys typically have a place, abandon it, move in with the girl, then get a place together afterwards? Or is it usually the girl who'll give up her place, before you get your own place?

Actually, of the few examples I know of in real life, it's almost always the girl who moves in with the guy (though I'm not sure how serious those relationship were)...so, why has it been different for me?

Does it matter?

It's interesting also because there is a power dynamic to it...who comes to who? Should I want the girl to come to me? Or should I want to go to the girl?
Living together is only for beatnik/hippies and those who live in the hills. You need to marry the girl.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 AM

633 posts, read 723,869 times
I don't have my own place when I met my husband so I live in his place. If I have my own place though. Pretty sure we won't be married now or at least as soon as we did. He is an LTR type of guy. I also would have preferred my place.

And if I have my own place you better believe we are married by the time we shack up together, yo.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,313,142 times
Many years ago I moved from my college room to live with my S/O he had a small rent flat
I am living together with my partner for 32 years never married.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
In a time where people are getting together later in life, and it's more common that each partner will have a place of their own, it becomes kind of a couple-by-couple decision.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
It probably depends on the situation with each couple. My ex moved into my apartment, because she lived with family.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
I would do neither. I want my own place. He can stay in his. Much better that way.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
Most men in their 20's places leave a lot to be desired. I am currently dating someone who likes nice things and takes pride in buying nice furniture and making his apartment his own. So, we spend the night at each other's places equally. Normally Sat at mine and Friday at his.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
My sister in law moved in with my brother. Later he married her. I only see the problems if he or she is a deadbeat. Or one is too bossy.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
I don't think it really matters. As long as both people are happy with the arrangement - it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships