Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:34 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times

Advertisements

I don't have one iota of sympathy or compassion. She should have known better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I don't have one iota of sympathy. She should have known better.
No thoughts on Shane? Nothing to say about the choice he made to assault Maggie? Or is judgmental statements about a broken person all you have to offer?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
No thoughts on Shane? Nothing to say about the choice he made to assault Maggie? Or is judgmental statements about a broken person all you have to offer?
She's the one who went hooking up with an ex-con. She's the one who can't pick them out. Shane is obviously a headcase and he is doing what's natural to him. I won't blame him one bit. That's like me blaming a tiger for attacking me after I went into its habitat. She broken by her own choices it seems. You can cry a river for her if you like but don't try to make me join you.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
She's the one who went hooking up with an ex-con. She's the one who can't pick them out. Shane is obviously a headcase and he is doing what's natural to him. I won't blame him one bit. That's like me blaming a tiger for attacking me after I went into its habitat. She broken by her own choices it seems. You can cry a river for her if you like but don't try to make me join you.
Nobody is asking you to cry a river for her. Tears don't help her any. But you make excuses for Shane (a violent con) and place all the blame on the victim. It doesn't sound like you are much better than Shane because the frame of mind from which you operate is closely aligned to his. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that in your mind you can, will or maybe even already have found a way to justify assault on victims who cannot protect themselves. Your statements speak volumes about your character, or lack thereof.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:56 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
You know what's the worst part?

I think the fact that those who are in a relationship where domestic violence is a daily occurrence tends to make matters worse. I have personally seen woman who keep taking these so called men back into their lives because some how they believe that it's their fault. Of course the system can't help those people who are dumb enough to let it keep happening.

Just my humble opnion.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:56 PM

633 posts, read 724,023 times
Quote:
Precisely! Honestly she was a victim of her OWN choice. Who in their right mind would let her kids stay with an ex-con? I mean judging from his tatooed/pierced appearance, I honestly don't know what she was thinking exposing/associating her kids with him.

I mean if I were a RESPONSIBLE mom, I would not even imagine dating someone like Shane, for my kids' sake.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:06 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,414 times
Quote:
I really do want to know more about this husband and why he and Maggie were estranged. My guess is they had a dispute and were on the brink of splitting up. Maybe over his army career even. I have no clue, just speculating. Ideally these two reconcile and create a safe environment for these kids. Sadly, what happens more often is that bad habits and decisions repeat themselves, and then the kids grow up and continue the pattern. Maggie and her army husband have an opportunity to break that pattern. I hope the seize it.
Being a former dependant and knowing enough military couples, I imagine this to be their story:

Maggie meets her future husband when both are in high school. He's probably a senior and she's a sophomore or freshman. She has unstable home life. She gets pregnant while in high school. He enlists into the military right after he graduates and because he can get out of the barracks and receive additional housing allowance as a married person, he marries his baby's mother. Her parents not wanting to support an additional mouth and knows that the military can provide for a family, they allow their 16/17 year old to marry the baby's father.

They are a happy little family for a while. He goes away to additional school and she grows bored being the SAHM. He's probably a bit immature still and spends money on Xbox games and hanging out with friends. She's relying on his income, doesn't have a high school diploma, and feels isolated from the other wives because she is so young. They have another baby and she spends her time raising two kids as he ushers in and out of their lives.

He gets deployed. She panics and runs back home while he is in Iraq and Afghanistan because she thinks it is better to be around family. While away, she realizes that she doesn't love her husband and decides to officially separate. She starts looking for a guy who will shower her with attention. Meanwhile, the husband is required to support his family and gives her child support that she uses to support herself, her children, and this inmate dude. Inmate dude turns out to be an abuser. She realizes that she had a stable thing with the husband and decides to reconcile.

Another kid later and a few affairs, they will divorce.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
Being a former dependant and knowing enough military couples, I imagine this to be their story:

Maggie meets her future husband when both are in high school. He's probably a senior and she's a sophomore or freshman. She has unstable home life. She gets pregnant while in high school. He enlists into the military right after he graduates and because he can get out of the barracks and receive additional housing allowance as a married person, he marries his baby's mother. Her parents not wanting to support an additional mouth and knows that the military can provide for a family, they allow their 16/17 year old to marry the baby's father.

They are a happy little family for a while. He goes away to additional school and she grows bored being the SAHM. He's probably a bit immature still and spends money on Xbox games and hanging out with friends. She's relying on his income, doesn't have a high school diploma, and feels isolated from the other wives because she is so young. They have another baby and she spends her time raising two kids as he ushers in and out of their lives.

He gets deployed. She panics and runs back home while he is in Iraq and Afghanistan because she thinks it is better to be around family. While away, she realizes that she doesn't love her husband and decides to officially separate. She starts looking for a guy who will shower her with attention. Meanwhile, the husband is required to support his family and gives her child support that she uses to support herself, her children, and this inmate dude. Inmate dude turns out to be an abuser. She realizes that she had a stable thing with the husband and decides to reconcile.

Another kid later and a few affairs, they will divorce.
I have envisioned a very similar story myself.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:28 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
Sadly, it boils down to this quite often. An unstable family life, for a female, can easily cause her to run to the closet guy who will love her. It's "daddy issue" syndrome. Any controller or manipulator can spot it from a mile away! It's wash, rinse, repeat.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Nobody is asking you to cry a river for her. Tears don't help her any. But you make excuses for Shane (a violent con) and place all the blame on the victim. It doesn't sound like you are much better than Shane because the frame of mind from which you operate is closely aligned to his. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that in your mind you can, will or maybe even already have found a way to justify assault on victims who cannot protect themselves. Your statements speak volumes about your character, or lack thereof.
The fact that you're judging my character doesn't bother me a bit. In fact that means that it won't mean much in the end. I'm not justifying his actions but they should be EXPECTED from someone with his background and history. That's how he deals with adversity. You are justifying her lack of judgment in her choices. That's pathetic. Don't try to attack the effect. Attack the cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships