Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times

Advertisements

Cripes. Now I'm hungry. Thanks, guys...

I think the only way it would work is if the hopeless romantic manages to somehow not feel constantly rejected, and if they manage to see the other ways the nonromantic shows their regard.

My mother is a romantic-type and she constantly felt rejected by my father. Well, that made sense - he's a full-blown narcissist. Of course he doesn't have a romantic bone in his body (unless it's convenient for him to do so - like when he's actively wooing a woman).

I'm not too much of a romantic, but I'm very attentive to my partners. One of my exes was very into romantic gestures, but there was no substance behind them. He was constantly bothered that I had failed to acknowledge or get excited by a milestone or a romantic moment in our relationship, even though I was in general a very attentive girlfriend.

I will say though that romantic gestures from generally non-romantic people can be very ... moving. I once had a guy who was one of the most contained and emotionally inexpressive people I've ever been on a date with stop his running vehicle in the middle of the street after a date and jump out to give me one last searing kiss, before heading home. Jesus H. Christ, that was hot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Dish?
I didn't know you were into Iranian house music.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Or is this doomed?
I don't know about doomed, but it will be difficult unless you learn to see the ways he expresses his love for what they are: expressions of love.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,472 times
This is my relationship right down to the core. Being romantic isn't my thing but I try to do romantic things that are unnatural to me. Being romantic to me feels cheesy and to be honest a bit exaggerated. You got to bite the bullet sometimes though.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
Good question.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
I wouldn't call myself a "hopeless romantic", but I can be and am a romantic if I am with someone I really care about. It would be hard for me to be in a relationship where the guy was not at all romantic and didn't even try to be.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
A man with few words does not mean he is not romantic. You need to figure out what do you want in a relationship and what YOU would consider to be romantic.

I've dated a man who would give me red roses everyday for two weeks straight when we first went out, but he did not realize roses are not my flower. I dont consider that romantic at all.

I also dated a man who makes sure I always have a full tank of gas in the car, he is a man with very few words, but his kindness always touches my heart. I consider him to be very romantic.

However, if you are the hopeless romantic, and your partner is not very affectionate, it will be hard to develop deeper bond. Perhaps not a match made in heaven, in my opinion.
This is a really good point. Not a traditional "romantic" thing - but something that shows he cares.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,299,494 times
I am a girl who is not very romantic and therefore dont expect romance from a man. However, I can relay romantic notions in the occasional affectionate touch and it ends up being more meaningful for people as I dont do it very often.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
It gets really annoying, but if there are other attributes that make up for it, you do what you can.
Some people just express themselves differently. It's important to realize this. Just because they express their love differently does not mean they don't love you.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:07 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
Don't give up. The effect can be latent and with long lags and often hardly visible, even then, but that doesn't mean it isn't working. Of course, it depends on what you mean by romantic, but most women will react positively to a man who is devoted, loyal, steady in his affection, and who, most of all makes his partner feel loved and safe. Many women have never experienced this before and so it takes time for them to figure out if it's real or just another trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships