Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view the 'loner' and how do you interact with him? Choose an answer each for first 5 and
Weirdo/creep 0 0%
Just lonely/pitiful 1 3.85%
Social misfit 0 0%
An independent spirit 7 26.92%
A real lady's man 1 3.85%
I avoid him/keep my distance 1 3.85%
Guarded amiability 1 3.85%
I treat him like anybody else 11 42.31%
I make an effort to get to know him/his story 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

This is something you might've talked about among your girl-friends, but if you're out on the town, say at a club or something, and you observe a young man who is obviously alone. Like you take notice of him for awhile, and who appears shy and nervous....what do you think of him? He's average to slightly good looking, bespectacled and dressed fairly average. Do you think he's a loser or creepy? Do you feel sorry for him? Do you think maybe he's unusually bold? Do you think he's probably there just to pick up? Or that he is a social misfit?

If he approaches you how do you respond? Does the fact he's alone make him less desirable in your eyes? Do you avoid him? Do you take pity on him and try to talk to him, find out why he's on his own?

DRAT: I meant to make it a multiple choice poll. Can someone please fix it soon? Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by Trimac20; 03-03-2013 at 02:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
I'm curious what they have to say too, but ultimately it doesn't really matter what they think about you if you never come in contact with them. Who cares. The one's you do come into contact with...well, that's entirely up to you how they perceive you.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
You should have made "I don't even notice his existence" a choice. That is probably the most common answer.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:50 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
How do strangers in a crowd know if someone is a loner or simply momentarily alone?

You're still suffering from too much self absorption and not enough objective thought about how someone (you're referring to yourself here?) is perceived from the outside.

If you're attractive or doing something worth noticing, I'm sure you'd get favorable attention. If you're just skulking on the edges or staring, people will avoid you.

Some women, like goths or other odd birds might seek out a lonesome looking guy. Others might feel pity but wouldn't waste their effort.

Most people are not paying attention to anyone except their own people.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
I agree with the other replies so far. Why do you think anyone "take notice for a while" of a single guy in a bar? I don't think most people would even notice he was there let alone pay a lot of attention to him. Why do you think that?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
How do strangers in a crowd know if someone is a loner or simply momentarily alone?

You're still suffering from too much self absorption and not enough objective thought about how someone (you're referring to yourself here?) is perceived from the outside.

If you're attractive or doing something worth noticing, I'm sure you'd get favorable attention. If you're just skulking on the edges or staring, people will avoid you.

Some women, like goths or other odd birds might seek out a lonesome looking guy. Others might feel pity but wouldn't waste their effort.

Yeah that's what happened when I went to this concert in another city. Tried to strike up a convo with two people, who had a friend who seemed shy and quiet, dressed in black...but in the end it was she who initiated a conversation with me and we actually became friends (albeit no more than friends). Pity I've lost contact with her, last time I heard she was living in Germany!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm curious what they have to say too, but ultimately it doesn't really matter what they think about you if you never come in contact with them. Who cares. The one's you do come into contact with...well, that's entirely up to you how they perceive you.
Disagree. We can't totally control how other's think about us.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

Yeah if they observe you for long enough, or if you appear to be wandering aimlessly around the place, nervously pacing, those sort of 'weird' behaviours. Some people do notice.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:13 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
I can't use your first 5. I don't view a guy alone in a bar as any of those. The fact that you assume that people have that view, is very telling of you how view yourself.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,569 times
I would assume that person is there to either watch sports, listen to live music or is waiting for someone. I wouldn't put much thought into it because I don't worry about what a stranger is doing unless it affects me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships