Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I saw you checking me out...
Quote:
What's your political preference?
Oh my. These are very bad.

It is very difficult to start a conversation with a stranger you are attracted to. Add the fact that most probably do not want to be bothered it makes ones chances very slim.
I'd like to be proven wrong on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
I find that humor always works for me or a simple compliment about a girl's hair or clothes always gets them to talk if you were even in thier scope to begin with. I find that if a woman does not respond at all or is rude she most likely never had her sights set on you as a potential conversation.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Compliment the clothes with something like "That's a lovely dress, but do you know what would really look good on you? Me!!"

Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
No one want to talk about politics to a stranger. That's odd.

The "I saw you checking me out" is ok.

"Hi, my name is___________." Not slim shady

Or talk about something in the shared environment

Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Spend some time zooming out and thinking about the purpose of small talk. It serves a good purpose.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL! OP, you sound like you're taking a poll, clipboard in hand, with the "What's your political preference?" What's your follow-up question, "How concerned are you on a scale of 1-10 about Social Security?" (just kidding, OP)

How to break the ice depends on the situation. If in a bar or coffeeshop, and she's ordering a drink, tell her you've never tried that one, and ask her if it's good. One of our posters here famously agreed to a date when a guy asked her about yogurt brands in the yogurt aisle of the grocery store. Casual compliments about attire can work: "That's an unusual/attractive/colorful pin/scarf/watch you're wearing." (Say it with a smile, don't just read these like the lines to a play.) Even the weather can work (especially in Seattle): "FINALLY! Some sun! I'd forgotten what it looks like!" (Make her laugh.) In the bookstore: ask her something about the category she's browsing in.

The purpose of the opener is to gauge her response, it's to test the waters. If you get a friendly response, continue. If you get a brusque, short response, drop it and move on. Keep it casual, as if you were chatting with a neighbor. This is the non-approach approach. If things seem to be clicking, introduce yourself, to signal to her that this isn't idle chat, it's an approach. See how she reacts to that. If she responds with interest and warmth, ask if you could buy her a coffee. If you get to the coffee stage, or a follow-up phone call stage, that's when you can gradually work in more substantive topics, after you've had a chance to ask her about herself (what kind of work she does, has she lived here long, etc.)
Exactly. Tailor it to the situation. And when, if, the ball gets rolling build the conversation naturally.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I find that humor always works for me or a simple compliment about a girl's hair or clothes always gets them to talk if you were even in thier scope to begin with. I find that if a woman does not respond at all or is rude she most likely never had her sights set on you as a potential conversation.
The old 'cocky but funny' routine...don't appear too cocky, just a dash of it, girls like that.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I wanted to start this thread because I (along with many others) have significant difficulty in the initiation process. I am speaking for myself as a male approaching females. While I have some faith in my conversation skills, I am not always the most approachable and am reluctant to approach others. This is not completely ideal because I'm sure I miss out on good company.
Anyway, I was wondering what women specifically are receptive to as far as starting lines. I have personally toyed with the idea of questions like: "What's your political preference?" because I think it would yield an intellectual discussion. While some people think its a personal topic I really don't think it has to be. The reason I would use an approach like this is because I am not a big fan of small talk, which to me is monotonous.
What are your thoughts as to what an appropriate approach would be? Thanks.
NO, don't go there! Unless you're at a political rally and pretty sure you share the same politics, don't ever bring this up when trying to break the ice, lol.

You might not like "small talk", but that's what gets you into bigger conversations, so learn to suffer through it.

Take advantage of what you have to work with around you when you see a girl you are interested in. For instance, if you see what kind of car she got out of - ask her about that, how she likes it, does it get good gas mileage.

Maybe she's buying cat food in the grocery store line. Ask her how many cats she has. Tell her you love cats. Is hers an inside or outside cat?

Maybe she's playing with her Android phone. Show extreme interest. Tell her you were considering getting one, would she recommend it or was she disappointed?

The amount of things you can have small talk about is ENDLESS. You just have to open your eyes and then open your mouth

Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Not Politics or Religion at the beginning especially if you are approaching her for the first time, ease into those topics after you have been dating for a while. A safer way (in my opinion) is a compliment about her outfit, shoes, how beautiful her smile is, things like that.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I wanted to start this thread because I (along with many others) have significant difficulty in the initiation process. I am speaking for myself as a male approaching females. .
What is the deal with people using the term "females"? Only folks who talk like this are dog breeders and wannabe thug type uneducated hip hop rapper types.

How about using terms like "ladies" or "women" from here on out for threads like these okay guys? You dont have to worry about your "hip hop street cred" here, so just use proper english please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships