Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No it's not really my scene, at least as far as dating goes. There just aren't a lot of avenues these days.
Maybe the best first step isn't to try and identify an avenue for meeting someone, but try to really narrow down the type of person you want to meet. The move from there.

For instance, hypothetically, you love travel! Not the typical I take a trip or two a year, but frequent, and exotic travel all over. You would like to meet someone who shares this passion. Then maybe the answer is to start traveling with a "singles group." I have a friend who travels constantly (as much as time allows), and does so with a group that does trips and excursions for singles. Now, she doesn't do it to meet guys, but she has met tons of people who share her love of travel through this.

The activity, interest, etc could be anything. Point is, if you have a couple definate passions, maybe trying to do them in singles groups would be a good, safe, and low pressure way to meet women for you who share the interest. If you start to develop a friendship with one of them, well, maybe some chemistry will be there too where the two of you explore more.

Just an idea anyway, which is sort of off topic in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Were you frequenting clubs in the 70s/80s?
No lol, but from watching old movies (not real life, I know) from the 50s and 60s it just seemed a lot easier to meet people from the OS. Might be idealised though. These days many girls would rather dance with their friends than some guy they met. Nothing wrong with that, but I just think night clubs are becoming worse and worse places to meet women. So much to see but a lot of it just seems out of reach.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
You are ascribing huge generalizations based on fictional accounts of a time before you were born--see the problem here?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Maybe the best first step isn't to try and identify an avenue for meeting someone, but try to really narrow down the type of person you want to meet. The move from there.

For instance, hypothetically, you love travel! Not the typical I take a trip or two a year, but frequent, and exotic travel all over. You would like to meet someone who shares this passion. Then maybe the answer is to start traveling with a "singles group." I have a friend who travels constantly (as much as time allows), and does so with a group that does trips and excursions for singles. Now, she doesn't do it to meet guys, but she has met tons of people who share her love of travel through this.

The activity, interest, etc could be anything. Point is, if you have a couple definate passions, maybe trying to do them in singles groups would be a good, safe, and low pressure way to meet women for you who share the interest. If you start to develop a friendship with one of them, well, maybe some chemistry will be there too where the two of you explore more.

Just an idea anyway, which is sort of off topic in this thread.
Yep definitely passionate about travelling. My life pretty much revolves around it (well, I'd like it to at least!). I guess I could search the classifieds and various websites for travel buddies (I've actually used them in the past, but travelled with people from different countries). Also meeting people in backpackers, but again they're foreigners.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Have you ever done couchsurfing?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Have you ever done couchsurfing?
Not really, although I did stay with a female friend in another city (who I met in that city).

Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM

92 posts, read 100,247 times
Its called Hooters....

Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFLG KING PIN View Post
Its called Hooters....
for the US i prefer vietnamese coffee shops

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...38812244_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...27974527_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...45910349_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...16785907_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...92502653_n.jpg

Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Japanese culture is not as gregarious and extroverted as American. Here we don't need to pay to go to a place where people will make conversation with us.

Unless, of course, your local bar has a cover charge.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
We have TONS of these here (strong Asian influence state-wide).

Here we usually refer to them as Korean bars, and the mama-san is usually Korean, and the girls are of various Asian desent.

There so common I've been to 5 or 6 when "out with the boys" from work back in the day. They don't like women to show up because they figure we cut into their "business" of talking with the men... and if you are better looking than them the dirty looks are epic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships