Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,066,325 times

Advertisements

What is your view on this? And how is friend defined? Someone the man has never been intimate with or are ex girlfriends / flings / fwb included in people who can maintain a friendship with your man when you get together with him? And is there a double standard? What about when you are female with a lot of male friends? How does that work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
What is your view on this? And how is friend defined? Someone the man has never been intimate with or are ex girlfriends / flings / fwb included in people who can maintain a friendship with your man when you get together with him? And is there a double standard? What about when you are female with a lot of male friends? How does that work?
People have friends of the opposite sex.

Cannot fathom that people think this is a big deal

Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
I posted on the other thread friend as in a friendship. I am female 53 yrs and I have a male best friend and I am in a LTR of 32 yrs with my S/O also male. Is a bit of a story to this, but as I said pure friendship.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,066,325 times
^^^^Me too, I mean I have a guy friend for nearly 25 years. I'm not in relationship but he is gay so no threat when I do enter one. Every situation is different.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
People have friends of the opposite sex.

Cannot fathom that people think this is a big deal
They do. One of the most common strains in relationships it seems.

I have 2, But I rarely ever see them. One's married and the other in an LTR and their partners never worried about me when I do see them. They don't have to. Never attracted to them and respect their relationship and am glad they are happy. And vice versa.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,010 times
My close friend is my ex we dated for 6/7years he has a new GF now but he can only talk to me when he's at work which is pretty sad but oh well it's his choice to be controlled. His GF is obviously very insecure.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:55 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Most people have friends of the opposite sex. The question is more lkke;
Can you handle your s/o having opposite sex friends?

Or, the better question is;
Why do you have severe trust issues ?

If you don't want a s/o to have opposite sex friends, then on first dates ask them how they feel about having opposite sex friends. If they are pro opposite sex friends, don't continue to date them.
I imagine it will be difficult to have an honest relationship with anyone with a dating requirement like that.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I replied to your response to me in the other thread. My ex and I had friends of the opposite sex, but no one we hung out with alone or were in daily contact with. This is what I'm dealing with right now, SO's good friend of 20 years an her lack of consideration for our relationship, because she's every dependent on him.

He's been her backup "boyfriend", the guy she would turn to in between relationships, to help her with her computer that wouldn't turn on, to fix her broken DVD player, to be her date to a wedding because she didn't want to go alone. It's not her friendship I don't appreciate, it's her dependence on him. I don't think she's being malicious, I think it's selfishness and thoughtlessness because she doesn't have a BF so, by force of habit, she's turning to SO and he's not "hers" to turn to (for lack of a better phrase). I don't need them to stop being friends but we're getting married, and her 20 years of friendship and dependence has to be cut back. I don't know anyone in a LTR/marriage who has a friend of the opposite sex that keeps in such constant contact or has expectations that their friendship can continue exactly the same as it was before one of them had a SO.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Almost all of my friends are guys. My favorite hobby (Scuba diving) seems to be more popular among men than women. So that's who I am around. Plus, I work with only one other female (everyone else is male). Anyway, those friendships are just that, friendships. I don't know what you mean by "what do I do" about having a lot of male friends. Pretty much what I do (hang out with, etc) is the same stuff I do with my female friends. So it's a confusing question to me.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,042,034 times
So you people are down with your SOs opposite sex friends hanging out with them while you are sitting at home alone?

That dog wouldn't hunt with anyone I know.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships