Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM

26 posts, read 55,492 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I could use some advise please.

I'm going to ask my girlfriend of 3 years to marry me. We have booked a trip to Disney (her favorite place) in early May and I want to do it there. I've been working overtime and weekends to save up for this and I want everything to go well. I just don't know the things I need to do leading up to it.

I'm going to start looking for a ring this weekend. How long does it usually take to find the right ring? I know the style of ring she wants and I know her size.

How much would be a good ring cost? I love her and want her to have a good ring.

Do I need to ask her father for permission to marry her? They are very close but I'm not sure if that's something people actually do or just something I see in the movies.

Flying to Disney with the ring. Where should I hide it?

Sorry if the questions are stupid. I don't have any real life experience or examples (dont have much of a family) from others with this sort of thing.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
1-How much budget do you have for the ring?

2-Yes ask her father. It's the "traditional" way to go

3-In your carry on in a side pocket. Just keep your eyes on your bag when its searched

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Browse online & look at rings in the style she likes. That will give you an idea of the price range. Then set a firm budget and go to local brick & mortar stores to buy. Start now, because it may take time for them to put the right setting & stone together.

If she is somewhat traditional, it would be considered polite to seek her father's blessing before. I would avoid asking for *permission* or for her *hand* because she is not an object he is transferring to you. . My pet peeve, I admit. A blessing is classier.

I agree with putting the ring in your carry-on. You might want to include a note that says it is for a surprise proposal for your travel companion & to please keep that in mind if they need to search this bag.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 AM

354 posts, read 517,925 times
If I were you I would contact the Disney customer service. Pretty sure they will give you ideas. I mean Disney people live for those type of things. Ya know. 'Where dreams come true' is one of their slogans.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Congratulations. I wish both of you a lifetime of happiness.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven999 View Post
Hey guys, I could use some advise please.

I'm going to ask my girlfriend of 3 years to marry me. We have booked a trip to Disney (her favorite place) in early May and I want to do it there. I've been working overtime and weekends to save up for this and I want everything to go well. I just don't know the things I need to do leading up to it.

I'm going to start looking for a ring this weekend. How long does it usually take to find the right ring? I know the style of ring she wants and I know her size.

How much would be a good ring cost? I love her and want her to have a good ring.

Do I need to ask her father for permission to marry her? They are very close but I'm not sure if that's something people actually do or just something I see in the movies.

Flying to Disney with the ring. Where should I hide it?

Sorry if the questions are stupid. I don't have any real life experience or examples (dont have much of a family) from others with this sort of thing.

Thank you
I don't think asking for the father's permission is that common or necessary.

Spend only what you can comfortably afford on the ring. I don't know how long it's going to take you to find the right one.

Have fun at Disney!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I'd hide the ring box in my luggage and keep the ring in my carry-on, in a small protective pouch. That way, there's no chance of some TSA agent pulling it out and opening it up in front of her, since there should be no reason for the pouch to be open. Also, put it in so it won't lay flat as it goes through the scanner, making it easily identified as a ring (in case the display can be seen). Do keep an eye on it if it gets searched. Store it back in the box later. As to asking her father, has she given you any indication of how traditional she is? If so, then I'd ask first. A good ring can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000+, depending on the size(s) of the diamond(s). Just be aware that while the ring needs to be perfect, it doesn't need to be huge (diamond size). There will be other opportunities for bigger ones later. Oh, and start looking for the ring now to find out how long it will take to size it. You don't want to buy it in May, just to find out it will be ready the day after you leave.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM

365 posts, read 644,824 times
Be sure she is going to say yes. Don't waste your time otherwise. 3 years is a good time to shyt or get off the pot. You may want to get a feeler from her family if they would like the two of you to get married. You are marrying them too and they will always be in your business.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven999 View Post
No, you don't ask him, unless it's him your intending to marry. It's her opinion your after, not his.

What if he says "No"... will you knock it on the head and not ask her? That would go down wooooooonderfully if she did in fact want to marry you don't you think?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Browse online & look at rings in the style she likes. That will give you an idea of the price range. Then set a firm budget and go to local brick & mortar stores to buy. Start now, because it may take time for them to put the right setting & stone together.

If she is somewhat traditional, it would be considered polite to seek her father's blessing before. I would avoid asking for *permission* or for her *hand* because she is not an object he is transferring to you. . My pet peeve, I admit. A blessing is classier.

I agree with putting the ring in your carry-on. You might want to include a note that says it is for a surprise proposal for your travel companion & to please keep that in mind if they need to search this bag.

Good luck!
My SO did that, put a note with the ring in his wallet. He had no problems going through security.

He spent two months looking for the ring he wanted, went to 20+ jewelry stores. Learn about the 4 c's of diamonds. They're all important, but the cut of the ring will bring a "fire" to it that can make a smaller ring look bigger. Size isn't important, quality is. My ring is also Canadian-mined, which was important to SO.

As for asking her father's blessing, that's entirely individual, I don't know of many situations where that's happened. My dad passsed away 2 years ago so SO couldn't, but he didn't ask my mom either. Everyone was taken by surprise when he proposed, he didn't want anyone to know in advance and slip-up or starting acting weirdly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships