Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:14 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I need a balance in life and don't want my sole purpose for breathing to be to go to a job
That is why I got my butt back to college. Sick of dead end jobs and being a wage slave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:15 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
I have seen this too many times on profiles.

If you're that busy, why are you "looking" for a relationship?

Is "being busy" some sort of a status symbol?
People who have a 'lot going on" are more attractive than people who sit around in front of the laptop and never leave the house.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:27 AM

639 posts, read 678,699 times
Well some people have some another works, and because of that works the could not find partner for them and may be because that they are joining the dating sites.. because work is also important in life only relationship is not every thing so somehow its okay to put that kind of status.. not all the time ha...

Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
America does have a serious case of work fetishism. Proclaiming oneself as always busy can be a sign of status.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:58 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chafien View Post
So how much money do you supposed you need to make so you can retire comfortably?
There has been much ink, and bandwith dedicated to that question... you might be surprised at the amount... even if you didn't wanna vacation and/or enjoy the "finer" things...

Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
I was thinking about this over the weekend. I keep myself pretty busy and I do sometimes wonder if I am too busy to date and shouldn't be trying to do so. Regardless, I'm currently on OKC because despite my active social life, I'm simply not meeting men in my desired age range (apparently because according to the question "What is your typical Friday night like?" or whatever it is, they are all sitting at home unwinding from a long week).

I believe that if I were to be in contact with someone I was interested in getting to know better, I would find/make the time. For example, I'm currently "talking" to two men on the site. One is 47 and lives 3 hours away. One is 28 and is local. (I'm 40). The 47 year old started off the conversation with an indication he read my profile. The 28 year old started with not much more than a "hello."

Both have indicated an interest in meeting. The 47 year old sends me messages that indicate he is interested in getting to know me. He has suggested meeting halfway but it will have to be on a weekend due to the distance. He wanted to meet this past weekend, but I already had plans for the holiday weekend. So I suggested this coming weekend instead. The 28 year old's messages are all one or two sentences max and I'm not completely convinced he isn't really a bot. He'd be easy to meet because he's local. However, from his messages, I don't feel a sense of real interest.

I have something going on tonight, Wednesday and Thursday. The plans I have for this evening are something I could easily get out of. If the 47 year old was local and wanted to meet, I'd be all over that. But for the 28 year old? Well, his days off are W/Th and those are solid commitments for me. And my interaction with him so far hasn't piqued my interest enough to bug off on the plans I've made for this evening.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:17 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:

They want you to believe they have a full and active life and aren't just sitting in front of the computer waiting to find Mr or Mrs Right. But it speaks volumes that they even need to tell you that. When I see a profile, I automatically assume the person has a busy life. Work, friends, volunteer work, kids to take care of, hobbies, etc. So why are they telling me something I'll take as a given? I think people say they're busy because they're embarrased at being on a dating site and they're afraid you'll think they're just a lonely pathetic girl who sits at home with nothing to do. I tend to be turned off by people who need to tell me how busy they are. Give your reader some credit.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 AM

231 posts, read 264,553 times
Quote:

Maybe it means I'm too busy to go OUT and look for a gf/bf; which can be true. So, they use internet to find a relatioship

Old 09-14-2015, 10:45 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,405 times
Quote:

My response always was 'so what in the world are you doing on here?'

In short I read it as, ' well I don't have time to devote to you much so whatever'. That's not people who are serious. Runnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Old 09-14-2015, 10:46 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
They want you to believe they have a full and active life and aren't just sitting in front of the computer waiting to find Mr or Mrs Right. But it speaks volumes that they even need to tell you that. When I see a profile, I automatically assume the person has a busy life. Work, friends, volunteer work, kids to take care of, hobbies, etc. So why are they telling me something I'll take as a given? I think people say they're busy because they're embarrased at being on a dating site and they're afraid you'll think they're just a lonely pathetic girl who sits at home with nothing to do. I tend to be turned off by people who need to tell me how busy they are. Give your reader some credit.

Yes a lot of them most likely sit at home and pretend to have an active life. This way they don't come out looking as boring.

It's a show a lot of the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships