Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

I wonder if it's marriage counseling the son needs, or individual psychotherapy. He seems to lack maturity, and to be judgmental. Or maybe it's both that he needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM

281 posts, read 750,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You realize this makes no sense, right? Your son seems full of himself, and doesn't want to entertain the possibility that his wife has valid reasons for believing as she does. How long have they been married? He really called you in tears? Have you ever noticed drama queen tendencies in him before?
He spent hours and hours trying to see her side of things but after days of praying, mediatation and introspection he just could not accept her opinions. They have been married two years. Yes, he is crying and this is rare.

Isn't this the case when couples break apart? They just can't accept the decisions and approach to money, sex, or how to bring up their children views of their partner.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:33 PM

What could possibly be so important that it would bring a grown man to tears, AFTER prayer and meditation? Are they disagreeing on whether to have children? On whether she should work or not? What's the $50,000 question?

Old 03-07-2013, 05:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
He spent hours and hours trying to see her side of things but after days of praying, mediatation and introspection he just could not accept her opinions. They have been married two years. Yes, he is crying and this is rare.
On what issue...whether or not to have chilren?...what religion should they practice?...or the next American Idol? It depends if it's a deal breaker issue or just a difference of opinion...!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:

Isn't this the case when couples break apart? They just can't accept the decisions and approach to money, sex, or how to bring up their children views of their partner.
Okay, now he sounds like he's "losing it".

More than just marriage counseling, your son sounds like HE needs some individual help.

This kind of angst and crying doesn't sound normal.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Couples with disagreements about these things usually don't get married in the first place, as you observed in your OP. Sorting through these questions is something that happens during the engagement period, if not before. If marriage counseling can't bring them closer together on these issues, then they'll have to divorce and start over, sadder but wiser, probably.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
No, that has never happened to me. I am not so arrogant, pig-headed, and domineering as to deem someone illogical or unintelligent just because they disagree with me, nor am I so full of myself that I would presume to think that my way of seeing things should be the only way others in my household see it.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Early in our marriage my late husband would respond the disagreements with some of the most illogical thoughts - even his family would say it was an illogical response. I learned that he only did that when he felt cornered for lack of a better term. I learned to come across differently so he didn't feel that way.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2013, 06:01 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Author....John Grey wrote a book years ago, "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus" it is all about the differences in communication styles between men and women. I have never forgotten one example, I'll paraphrase... A wife asks her hubby if he can take out the garbage....What he answers is "Sure". What she wants is for her hubby to take out the garbage....What he heard was simply a question. Can he take out the garbage....What is missing is "Would" you take out the garbage.

An example that demonstrates the difference in the above example. When a man asks a woman to marry him, He asks would you marry me....Not, could you marry me.

Here is a link. Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus: Summary and book reviews of Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by John Gray.

It might be nice if you sent them both a copy and they could read and discuss the book together.

Also, once folks get a bit older, I think being right often takes second place to being happy. I learned to compromise and you certainly have to pick your battles. There are some issues not at all worth arguing about.
Some good old fashioned marriage counseling may be helpful. Hope all works out.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
OP, please do not take it as a personal attack. I am sure your son is a great human being. But women generally don't care for a man who runs to his mom or dad for his marital problems. =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships