Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:40 AM

354 posts, read 517,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I don't meet anyone face to face without talking on the phone atleast once. I am not setting up a date on email or texting.

Someone is asking to be stood up meeting that way
I became a serial dater without EVER talking on phone. I loathe talking on phone it's even stated ALL CAPS in my profile. Coz I'm tired of getting numbers from guys there. I did came up with a way for us to communicate though. I can text their phone using yahoo messenger so that's how we communicate to meet. Also don't like giving my # to total strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 AM

863 posts, read 1,128,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Rs4 fan, don't waste your typing skills.. Chessiemom is great at taking the stance of her way is the only way, and p*ss on you for not agreeing.
Thanks for that.

Quote:
Online dating is for the birds, coming from a female. I have come across some cool sounding guys that put on their profile "hit me up if you think we have something in common" or "looking for good conversation." Great! He and I are on the same page! So, I take the time to send a message to strike up a conversation based on something within his profile I found interesting. And, never hear back from him. Even from the ones that claim "hey, even if we don't have chemistry, it is great meeting new friends!" - yeah, that is a load of crap.
Yeah, a lot of people put that stuff down to sound cool, but don't really mean it. I'd actually prefer a woman to show her arrogance and list the 3000 requirements to date her than be totally fake. At least I know not to message someone like that. Also, I agree that most of those "just looking for friendship" are lying. I've messaged some women before for that and didn't even get a reply.

Quote:
I don't expect everyone to be attracted to me, agree with my perspective on life, or even want to date me because I am a single parent. I totally get that. But, don't be so rude about it. A thanks but no thanks return message is just fine, I promise. I took the time to read the profile and type of a message that pertains to the information I found on said profile. Am I asking too much for the courtesy of an acknowledgment?
Sadly, this is the society in which we live. Manners doesn't matter much anymore. For me, it's irritating to write a decent message only to have it looked at with no response. I only write decent messages that include snippets from their profile...none of that "Hi" or "You're Hot" nonsense. Like you, I'd rather have a rejection note than be ignored. However, I can understand that if someone gets many messages, it might be hard for them to respond. In addition, I've heard (pertaining to messages for women...I don't know about men) that some women get nasty messages back when the guy is rejected. It sucks, but unfortunately, it's the game of online dating.

Quote:
I am ready to start my experiment on being a cynical b*tch as a psychology project. Point out all the cliches I have found with online dating and add my opinion as my profile summary. I certainly don't have anything to lose at this point!
LOL if you need cliches from a male perspective, I'll give you some (this is in NYC):

-Describes herself as "quirky"
-Loves to laugh
-Listens to NPR
-93768123 pictures of her traveling all over the world
-Favorite movie: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
-Lists most bands we've never heard of (and Arcade Fire)
-Is an artist of some type
-Spends time regularly in a dive bar
-Tired of the games/Looking for somebody real (my personal favorite)
-Don't want douchebags looking for sex (with pictures of her posing in lingerie/other raunchy photos)

plenty of material right there just from the male POV!

Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 AM

947 posts, read 1,186,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Like you, I'd rather have a rejection note than be ignored. However, I can understand that if someone gets many messages, it might be hard for them to respond. In addition, I've heard (pertaining to messages for women...I don't know about men) that some women get nasty messages back when the guy is rejected. It sucks, but unfortunately, it's the game of online dating.
What's the point of even sending a rejection message? People can easily delete the message of anyone they're not interested in.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 AM

810 posts, read 1,807,594 times
I can understand a lot of guys wanting to get rejection replies rather than just being outright ignored, but, again, you have to keep in mind the ration to men to women on dating sites and just how many messages an average woman gets. The logistics of replying to everybody are probably very impractical. Plus, the women has no way of knowing if you're a guy who can take rejection well or if you are going to lash out and insult her in response.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
What's the point of even sending a rejection message? People can easily delete the message of anyone they're not interested in.

Bob so many stupid females on those sites fail to realize that which is why I send something nasty when they feel the need to do that

Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvalentine View Post
I became a serial dater without EVER talking on phone. I loathe talking on phone it's even stated ALL CAPS in my profile. Coz I'm tired of getting numbers from guys there. I did came up with a way for us to communicate though. I can text their phone using yahoo messenger so that's how we communicate to meet. Also don't like giving my # to total strangers.

Is that because you are under the age of 27? Because most people who came along during the Telephone Dating era have no issue talking on the phone.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 PM

863 posts, read 1,128,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
For me, it's just the acknowledgement that when I write something decent, I'd like something back. I've always followed the advice that you'll have a better response rate when the message is original and not too short/long. I know I'm not entitled to a reply, but it would be nice to get some feedback. I've had rejection messages in the past...it sucked, but I was appreciative that they took the time out to respond since I took the time to message something other than "Wassup." As corny as it sounds, I've even thanked them for the response lol. However, I do understand that women get flooded with too many messages so it would be hard to respond to all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
I can understand a lot of guys wanting to get rejection replies rather than just being outright ignored, but, again, you have to keep in mind the ration to men to women on dating sites and just how many messages an average woman gets. The logistics of replying to everybody are probably very impractical. Plus, the women has no way of knowing if you're a guy who can take rejection well or if you are going to lash out and insult her in response.
LOL I said that in my earlier post.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
I always sent a rejection message. Regardless of how many messages I got, you can just type "you sound like a great guy but I don't think we'd be a match. Best of luck to you", then copy and paste it 100 times, to me no big deal. I just think it is courtesy if someone obviously took time to read my profile and put thought into writing to me. I very rarely got anything bad back, in fact I got many guys who thanked me for responding even if to reject.

As far as too many messages, I only got bombarded when I was "new meat", meaning the first couple weeks after posting or updating my profile, after that it leveled off. This was the case for most women I knew who did OLDing.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:14 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
For me, it's just the acknowledgement that when I write something decent, I'd like something back. I've always followed the advice that you'll have a better response rate when the message is original and not too short/long. I know I'm not entitled to a reply, but it would be nice to get some feedback. I've had rejection messages in the past...it sucked, but I was appreciative that they took the time out to respond since I took the time to message something other than "Wassup." As corny as it sounds, I've even thanked them for the response lol. However, I do understand that women get flooded with too many messages so it would be hard to respond to all of them.

LOL I said that in my earlier post.

Why were you appreciative of the response back? Women shouldn't be treated like employers

Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I always sent a rejection message. Regardless of how many messages I got, you can just type "you sound like a great guy but I don't think we'd be a match. Best of luck to you", then copy and paste it 100 times, to me no big deal. I just think it is courtesy if someone obviously took time to read my profile and put thought into writing to me. I very rarely got anything bad back, in fact I got many guys who thanked me for responding even if to reject.

As far as too many messages, I only got bombarded when I was "new meat", meaning the first couple weeks after posting or updating my profile, after that it leveled off. This was the case for most women I knew who did OLDing.

Why are you wishing someone the best of luck? Are you an employer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships