Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
There is a reason why I chose neither.

I understand.
The reason I would go for person number 2 is because it looks like the only flaw he has is "a bit socially awkward." Again, this statement is subject to personal interpretation. What is "socially awkward" anyway? If socially awkward = don't have a decent sense of humor, this is something I can live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Person #1. I don't care if someone is attractive if I don't find them interesting.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I understand.
The reason I would go for person number 2 is because it looks like the only flaw he has is "a bit socially awkward." Again, this statement is subject to personal interpretation. What is "socially awkward" anyway? If socially awkward = don't have a decent sense of humor, this is something I can live with.
It's not supposed to read like that.

You are interpreting the situations in your direction, read it as if they are polar opposites.

one of them is hot but dull as hell, the other guy isn't hot but has a booming personality.

Can you live with a man who is nice to look at but is absolutely 100% dull in every other way? Unless you're dull yourself, you can't. I know because I tried. I think I would hang myself if I were forced into that situation.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
It's not supposed to read like that.

You are interpreting the situations in your direction, read it as if they are polar opposites.

one of them is hot but dull as hell, the other guy isn't hot but has a booming personality.

Can you live with a man who is nice to look at but is absolutely 100% dull in every other way? Unless you're dull yourself, you can't. I know because I tried. I think I would hang myself if I were forced into that situation.
If this is the case, I would pick neither because I can NEVER sleep with somebody I am not attracted to.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
I'll take #2. She sounds similar to me, so I wouldn't mind her being dull at all. I don't care how great of a personality girl #1 has, I'm not going out with an ugly person. "What's on the inside is what counts" can only go so far.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post

Which one do you take?

These examples are at the extreme ends of the spectrum.

[i choose the realistic third, center option that is not listed]

Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
Men: A below average woman (your perception of ugly) moves in next door. You get on a hi and bye basis and she musters up the courage to ask you on a date. You agree. You come to find out she's a very sweet woman, knows how to have a good time, can tell she holds her own, has a great sense of humor.

On the flipside, an extremely attractive woman (your perception of perfect) moves in next door. You get on a hi and bye basis and she asks you on a date. You agree. While she's smoking hot, she's also kind of quiet, gives short sided replies, lacks a sense of humor, and is a bit awkward.

Which one do you take?
The "below average woman", are we talking about my perception of ugly in terms of her face or her body? It definitely makes a difference. If her body is not good (i.e., flabby or fat) then she would just make for a very good neighbor and nothing else.

Since I would not be interested in either for a relationship short or long term, I'd just take both of them for booty calls (providing that the unattractive one has a decent body). I'd tap them both, but of course, being the gentleman that I am, I'd let them know that nothing would become of it as far as relationship is concerned. Me being hot, Im sure they would agree.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post

A personality can change, where as, overall genes, CAN'T!
You thought so? You do not think personality trait is part of the DNA, a part of overall genes?
Many people believe Hilter is just an evil person, researches have shown that he would have had a narcissistic personality disorder. He was extremely mentally ill.

Not to make excuses for Hitler, but he perhaps couldn't have changed his personality even if he tried to.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

It makes so much more sense when you put it that way, Froggie. The great personality is what would get my attention. A good-looking, rich guy with the personality of a wet blanket would be a turn-off.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Ladies: let's say a below average male (basically your perception of ugly) approaches you in an appropriate setting. He doesn't have the huge salary or nice car but he gets by comfortably. He stirs up a conversation and you come to find out he has great social skills, is witty, great sense of humor, etc.

On the flipside, let's say an extremely attractive man (your perception of perfect) approaches you in an appropriate setting. He's got the big bucks, salary, looks. But after speaking you find out he lacks great social skills. He can sustain a conversation and all but doesn't tell many jokes, lacks a sense of humor, and is a bit socially awkward.
Well, it's extremes and very unlikely, but I will play the game presented here. I am taking this to mean the first guy has a personality I like and the second a personality I don't like (although like others have said, just being awkward isn't a bad thing really). But I will assume that's what you "mean" by this.

I would pick the first guy. Looks dissappear overtime, people gray, gain weight, sag.... but personality is usually pretty solid forever. Huge salary and nice car are are non-issues. I rather have a man who makes less, but loves what he does and is happy while also knowing how to save and budget. A spend thrift that wastes money on frivolous things like fancy cars is a turn off.

Plus, I know from my own experince that I have (and will) date men that I don't find phycially appealing at first. But if they have a good character and click with me mentally and on a personal level, that doesn't matter and I find them attractive anyway.

I rather have a cohort in life than eye candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships