Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The key to the success of your long-term relathionship is?
great chemistry 11 24.44%
good luck 9 20.00%
common interests 20 44.44%
active sex life with your partner 17 37.78%
an every day work on your relationship 17 37.78%
having successful relationship of your/your partner's parents as an example 3 6.67%
compatibility 29 64.44%
sense of humor 16 35.56%
other (specify in post if possible) 12 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 AM

518 posts, read 1,004,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Your poll left out one option, but I guess its a sign of the times. I checked other because if there is one secret to being happily that you've got to have its LOVE. No not the romantic, breathless kind that gets your blood pumping. Its the kind of love for someone that you genuinely care about, want to make them happy, spend time with them, enjoy their company, and want to always be with them and keep making them happy. If you have a couple with that kind of love, well then I can't see how that relationship can fail.
^^^
This.

An additional thing that I'll add to the above post that is also the key to the success and longevity of my long term relationship with my wonderful SO is the utmost respect that we have for each other. We consider how the other would think and feel about whatever decision we decide to make before we make it.

We listen to each other's hopes, dreams, rants, feelings and opinions.

We care about each other's feelings and we strive to do kind and nice things for each other without expecting reciprocity.

And, as one poster stated, we make it a point to be sexually intimate with each other on a regular basis. Sharing our love for each other in this very private and intimate way is what keeps our feelings for each other strong and constant.

We're also very physically affectionate toward each other and we hold hands, hug, kiss each other (on the lips and french kissing!) and wrap our arms around each other daily.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
Communication is a huge one. Good healthy sex life. Same interests and goals.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 PM

633 posts, read 723,645 times
I just recently married but my parents, when there are newlyweds visiting our house, I always use to hear my mom give 1 advice only - to never sleep mad at each other. My parents is a literal til death do us part marriage. My mom passed away.

So maybe since I hear that advice from my mom often, if my husband is not himself like today, whenever he gives me my food in our bed he always kisses me but this time he didn't and made a 'whatever' gesture. So I immediately ask him what's wrong and I tell him I don't like if he is mad at me. Like I ask him if he's mad at me. He said he's just tired. So I just kiss/hug/cuddle him, tell him I love him.

I've the best husband in the world by the way. Can't believe I met him at POF! LOL.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I was watching Dane Cook a few years back and he was doing stand up somewhere, and he said the secret is cheating.

naw seriously, longest relationship I've been in was 3 years, and it ended in her cheating on me since I refused to make children with her because of monetary reasons. So I don't really know, so I'm going to just write in Booze as an answer.

Ha! I asked my husband this question and his reply was "alcohol."

Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
I just recently married but my parents, when there are newlyweds visiting our house, I always use to hear my mom give 1 advice only - to never sleep mad at each other. My parents is a literal til death do us part marriage. My mom passed away.

So maybe since I hear that advice from my mom often, if my husband is not himself like today, whenever he gives me my food in our bed he always kisses me but this time he didn't and made a 'whatever' gesture. So I immediately ask him what's wrong and I tell him I don't like if he is mad at me. Like I ask him if he's mad at me. He said he's just tired. So I just kiss/hug/cuddle him, tell him I love him.

I've the best husband in the world by the way. Can't believe I met him at POF! LOL.
I've never been a fan of that theory. My husband likes to resolve things before going to sleep (mainly because he tosses and turns when things are left unresolved ), whereas I prefer to sleep on it, especially if I'm tired. It gives me time to calm down and think clearly to present my side without getting overly emotional.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
longest i had was 17 years. my key to success was putting up with absolutely everything until the truck broke down.
it was not a happy marriage but it was a long one.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotamkin_Renesmee View Post
^^^
This.

An additional thing that I'll add to the above post that is also the key to the success and longevity of my long term relationship with my wonderful SO is the utmost respect that we have for each other. We consider how the other would think and feel about whatever decision we decide to make before we make it.

We listen to each other's hopes, dreams, rants, feelings and opinions.

We care about each other's feelings and we strive to do kind and nice things for each other without expecting reciprocity.

And, as one poster stated, we make it a point to be sexually intimate with each other on a regular basis. Sharing our love for each other in this very private and intimate way is what keeps our feelings for each other strong and constant.

We're also very physically affectionate toward each other and we hold hands, hug, kiss each other (on the lips and french kissing!) and wrap our arms around each other daily.

Yes - this. Can't fail under these circumstances, in my opinion.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 AM

156 posts, read 175,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I've never been a fan of that theory. My husband likes to resolve things before going to sleep (mainly because he tosses and turns when things are left unresolved ), whereas I prefer to sleep on it, especially if I'm tired. It gives me time to calm down and think clearly to present my side without getting overly emotional.
yeah, sometimes you need time to cool down, in order to not say things you will regret about afterwards...

Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,510 times
Forgive and forget and Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:44 AM

633 posts, read 723,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristarina View Post
yeah, sometimes you need time to cool down, in order to not say things you will regret about afterwards...
Oh yeah my father added too that if the one is angry then the other should just be quiet and NOT 'attack'/counter. That if one is hot headed the other should be cool headed.

I guess my parents advice is basically about couples' argument. And what to do when it happens. Basically not have shouting matches. My elder sister I remember she always tell me how she NEVER ever! heard our parents argue at least in front of us. And I actually myself never heard them. I honestly never utter/learn/heard a cuss word until I went to school, LOL. Coz as my mom told me when she heard me say a cuss word - where did you learn that from? have you heard me and your father utter those words?

My husband himself don't like yelling like if I even talk a pitch higher than usual he would tell me to not yell at him. Or if I speak his cats' name loudly he tells me not to yell at them. OMG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships