Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
In the last week I've seen a lot of comments suggesting that men and women should pursue partners who are within their social class. More specifically the suggestion is that they pursue partners whose income is close to that of their own. This seems to be more common regarding men seeking women who earn more than they do, but there those who apply the same concept to women who seek men with higher incomes.

This is a conceptual equivalent to "dating within your league" which focuses more on the physical aspect of dating and attraction. That argument typically goes something like, "An overweight or homely person should pursue only other overweight and homely people." I personally find this line of reasoning absurd, but the idea has its supporters here on the forum. And in the interest of good dialogue, I'll ask the same question, but as it relates to social class rather than physical appearance.

So what is the defense for this line of reasoning? For those who defend this idea, what are your arguments supporting it? For those who disagree, what are the best arguments opposing it?
I think that perhaps some people have a hard time understanding the difference between gender equality and sameness. Reading some of the posts on CD or some online profiles on common dating sites, I often get the impression that many feel that they need to find their twin in order to find a suitable mate. Same level of attractivness, same level of income, same upbringing, same social class...list goes on and on. Do people really look in the mirror and seek their own reflection in a partner? Its little perplexing considering we live in an individualistic society.

In my own experience, I found that my best relationships over the years, were with women who were very different from myself, in almost every aspect. It allowed us to balance strenghts and weaknesses, which in effect benefited our relationship greatly. Not to mention, when in comes to attracting the opposite sex, social status or attractivness play very different roles for men and for women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So what is the defense for this line of reasoning? For those who defend this idea, what are your arguments supporting it? For those who disagree, what are the best arguments opposing it?
Observed human behavior.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 PM

664 posts, read 773,342 times
What if you don't have a social class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships