Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

In the last week I've seen a lot of comments suggesting that men and women should pursue partners who are within their social class. More specifically the suggestion is that they pursue partners whose income is close to that of their own. This seems to be more common regarding men seeking women who earn more than they do, but there those who apply the same concept to women who seek men with higher incomes.

This is a conceptual equivalent to "dating within your league" which focuses more on the physical aspect of dating and attraction. That argument typically goes something like, "An overweight or homely person should pursue only other overweight and homely people." I personally find this line of reasoning absurd, but the idea has its supporters here on the forum. And in the interest of good dialogue, I'll ask the same question, but as it relates to social class rather than physical appearance.

So what is the defense for this line of reasoning? For those who defend this idea, what are your arguments supporting it? For those who disagree, what are the best arguments opposing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
In the last week I've seen a lot of comments suggesting that men and women should pursue partners who are within their social class.

For those who disagree, what are the best arguments opposing it?
Consider the source. That about sums it up.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Consider the source. That about sums it up.
I know, I know...

But my reason for asking is this: I've seen the arguments, but few have elaborated on why they feel this way. They just state how they believe it should be without giving a reason why.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
I would glady hypothetically date or have a relationship with someone who comes from a less-advantaged class economically or financially than myself -- no problem with that; you can't put the value of real love on a specific economic class anyway

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 03-09-2013 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Corrected wording

Old 03-09-2013, 08:22 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
This is just one more nail in the coffin for people who are single and miserable, I can not think of a more self defeating idea. Also, 'social class' means more than income. 'Income' is a very 'working class' status symbol, The true higher classes do not rely on income, they have investments and social capital. Class is something that most Americans are clueless about, they do not understand the concept of social and cultural capital. Forget about it and stop watching so much Dowton Abby LOL, Go get yourself laid and stop pretending to have something that you do not understand!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
This is just one more nail in the coffin for people who are single and miserable, I can not think of a more self defeating idea. Also, 'social class' means more than income. 'Income' is a very 'working class' status symbol, The true higher classes do not rely on income, they have investments and social capital. Class is something that most Americans are clueless about, they do not understand the concept of social and cultural capital. Forget about it and stop watching so much Dowton Abby LOL, Go get yourself laid and stop pretending to have something that you do not understand!
I actually agree, but for the sake of discussion will use income as a proxy for social class.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I'm interested in who I'm interested in. There's really not much more to it than that...although in general I do think people with money or really good looking men are out of my 'league' and I don't bother with them. They have better options and I'm not going to waste my time or put myself in a position to get used.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I know, I know...

But my reason for asking is this: I've seen the arguments, but few have elaborated on why they feel this way. They just state how they believe it should be without giving a reason why.

In my past relationships, I discovered that men who made significantly more money than I do were not good matches. I make a comfortable living, but I don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means. I can't stand to see people throw money away just because they have it. I had trouble coming to terms with someone needing an $80k dollar car when a $30k car is just as good (among other things).

I wouldn't say that people should stay within their social class, but I can see potential pitfalls to getting involved. I would never deny a relationship with a man who made more money, but I would look carefully at the way he lives his life before going too far.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
In my past relationships, I discovered that men who made significantly more money than I do were not good matches. I make a comfortable living, but I don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means. I can't stand to see people throw money away just because they have it. I had trouble coming to terms with someone needing an $80k dollar car when a $30k car is just as good (among other things).

I wouldn't say that people should stay within their social class, but I can see potential pitfalls to getting involved. I would never deny a relationship with a man who made more money, but I would look carefully at the way he lives his life before going too far.
You are definitely on to something here, suggesting that people may be better off by dating within a comfort zone. The problem is that this is a matter of preference rather than a rule that some seem to want to impose on others. A self-imposed limitation to a certain income level doesn't quite fit question.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
You are definitely on to something here, suggesting that people may be better off by dating within a comfort zone. The problem is that this is a matter of preference rather than a rule that some seem to want to impose on others. A self-imposed limitation to a certain income level doesn't quite fit question.
But it does fit the question.

Maybe those who like the "rule" have experienced what I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships