Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Why are attractive women assumed to be vain and dumb? Why does society allow people to bash attractive people because of their jealousy of the success of attractive people?
I find that in real life, this is not the case. But on internet message/chat forums it IS the case. My guess is that you have a substantial amount of jaded and lonely people frequenting forums and as such, they tend to air a bit more negativity towards those unlike them who they secretly wish they were like.

Go to any of the threads in fashion/beauty forums and you'll see that a lot of times if someone posts a picture of a very attractive lady, some poster will say something about how she must be dumb or something.

Quote:
According to studies, attractive people are actually significantly more intelligent than the less attractive despite all the stereotypes to the contrary.
I dont know about this one. I dont think that looks has any bearing on intelligence. I know some ugly smart people, some beautiful smart people, some ugly dumb folks and some beautiful dumb folks. Looks and intelligence are separate from what I have seen in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 08:58 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Raises, promotions and other things came easily to them, even if they didn't put in the requisite work to earn them. I saw this ALL the time, especially when I worked retail. As long as you were hot and 'bubbly' you got promoted and all of us average-below average peons had to take over the work they were unable to do.
Well that's kindof how people get promoted in retail normally right? Being bubbly is what attracts customers. Now if you were talking about a financial advisor position, then that would be another story.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
I've noticed a trend where people describe attractive females (and to a lesser extent males) as extreme strawman characters. People assume that attractive people are dumb, shallow, materialistic, crazy, etc. and at the same time unattractive people are described with positive words like intelligent, stable, open minded, etc. Why does society allow people to bash attractive people because of their jealousy of the success of attractive people?
You really have things backwards yanno.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
The most attractive women at my high school also happened to be some of the smartest and sweetest people there...Most of them are at fairly prestigious colleges now.
Quote:
Maybe it's because of where I grew up....but the most attractive people were usually the most vapid, shallow and unintelligent. They coasted by using their looks and never really had to apply themselves at anything. Raises, promotions and other things came easily to them, even if they didn't put in the requisite work to earn them. I saw this ALL the time, especially when I worked retail. As long as you were hot and 'bubbly' you got promoted and all of us average-below average peons had to take over the work they were unable to do.

While I have met some pretty great and intelligent attractive people, my experience pulls in the opposite direction.
I went to high school at a relatively small school on the outskirts of a small town in the south. The prettiest girls(and honestly there were only truly a handful of "attractive," much less truly pretty girls at my school) let all the attention go to their heads except for a few. Most are lucky to have graduated from the local community college...

I think if you live somewhere where pretty people are a dime a dozen they can no longer claim that sense of entitlement. If you are somewhere where the gene pool is about as deep as a mud puddle(where I grew up), pretty girls often do have those atrocious attitudes. But, there are always exceptions.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
Well that's kindof how people get promoted in retail normally right? Being bubbly is what attracts customers. Now if you were talking about a financial advisor position, then that would be another story.
For worker bees, sure...but in management where you're actually doing something looks shouldn't be a deciding role. We had so many people promoted into management who couldn't do basic things like drive a forklift (ewww, dirty!) or read a P&L report and instead of learning how to do it they would just give it to others to do. It got really irritating doing my work AND theirs.

At my last job we had a position created for a cute young girl that came in for a receptionist position...instead she got a 60k a year marketing manager position and hadn't even graduated high school...and bragged about it. She did a TERRIBLE job and others had to make up for her incompetence. But she wouldn't get fired because she was sooooo hot and all the guys in management liked her. Bleh.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I went to high school at a relatively small school on the outskirts of a small town in the south. The prettiest girls(and honestly there were only truly a handful of "attractive," much less truly pretty girls at my school) let all the attention go to their heads except for a few. Most are lucky to have graduated from the local community college...

I think if you live somewhere where pretty people are a dime a dozen they can no longer claim that sense of entitlement. If you are somewhere where the gene pool is about as deep as a mud puddle(where I grew up), pretty girls often do have those atrocious attitudes. But, there are always exceptions.
I suppose that does make a lot of sense in retrospect. I was lucky enough to go to a private, international school, mostly expat kids from Europe, Australia and Asia. The women were gorgeous but there were so many of them it wasn't a big deal. Unfortunately I was way out of most of their leagues, so I never dated any of them :P.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
At my last job we had a position created for a cute young girl that came in for a receptionist position...instead she got a 60k a year marketing manager position and hadn't even graduated high school...and bragged about it. She did a TERRIBLE job and others had to make up for her incompetence. But she wouldn't get fired because she was sooooo hot and all the guys in management liked her. Bleh.
That's REALLY bizarre. 60k and she didn't even graduate high school??? I've never heard of anything like that.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I suppose that does make a lot of sense in retrospect. I was lucky enough to go to a private, international school, mostly expat kids from Europe, Australia and Asia. The women were gorgeous but there were so many of them it wasn't a big deal. Unfortunately I was way out of most of their leagues, so I never dated any of them :P.
I studied in many different countries and international environments and I also got the same impression. Tons and tons and tons of drop-dead gorgeous women and 90% of whom were completely genuine and nice. I guess it makes sense what a poster said earlier in this forum...that it may depend on how many other beautiful women there are in that environment. If the pool is small, some girls take it to their heads. If the pool is large, then they can't get away with acting like snobs.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
That's REALLY bizarre. 60k and she didn't even graduate high school??? I've never heard of anything like that.
Well, she was cute and bubbly...so obviously she was perfect for a position they just made up! They actually kicked our Safety and Compliance person out of her office for her and she had to set up temporary shop in the hangar near my desk. It was not a good situation.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Well, she was cute and bubbly...so obviously she was perfect for a position they just made up! They actually kicked our Safety and Compliance person out of her office for her and she had to set up temporary shop in the hangar near my desk. It was not a good situation.
That's kindof sad. I wish I could use my looks to my advantage in my career, but I'm not bubbly whatsoever. In fact, I think a lot of men are scared of me! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships