Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,066,325 times

Advertisements

Ok, in a perfect world, no one would be rejected. But if it happens, do you prefer the slow fade, someone just not responding to texts, someone who just keeps saying no to your date invitations or what? Or the "I'm seeing someone else"? What was your most pleasant rejection experience? (Is that even possible lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,259 times
With honesty. I want to be told what happened and have an honest dialogue. I want to know what happened, even if it hurts.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quickly, like in our first interaction, and very black or white (I don't mind what the reason given is or if there's one given at all). None of this we can still be friends business.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
"Oh, my god...I wish I could be with you in every way. But I'm married."

Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
"Sorry, this isnt going to work for me. Good luck with everything."
Maybe offer to be friends if there is genuine interest in that.

Of course, this almost never happens.

Asking adults to have adult conversations is not realsitic. Especially with text messages, email, etc.

At the end of the day, if there isn't interest from one side, most of the time the non-interested party doesnt care enough to reject someone with compassion.
The fade out, or ghosting has become the popular method of choice IME. No one wants to be held accountable anymore. God forbid a guy be upset that he invested time, money, and energy into entertaining someone, only to find out she isn't interested in him that way.
I think if women paid their way, and didnt expect as much from guys early on, the rejection would he easier to handle. But, dates, planning, restaurants, fun activities cost money and energy, and very seldom do women take a man out, especially early on.
So women say, "but guys get mad when I dump them." Well, they get mad and frustrated cause they just busted their butt trying to entertain you, and it wsnt good enough.
Next time, if you are thinking you may not be jnterested in a guy romantically, but give it one last shot, then, take the guy out the last time, AND pay.
I gaurantee he will appriciate the effort, and that you disnt just use him for a few meals or whatever. Most guys anyway.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,234,745 times
It should be like ripping off a band-aid. Just get it done in one quick swoop. Pulling back slowly just stretches out the pain. Once the rejection is done we can talk about the why if needed. But that's just me.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,987 times
I agree with the method of being upfront & to the point. If it just isn't working, say so. Fade out or becoming non-responsive really makes me mad. We're all adults, act like one.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
I prefer quick and simple whether I'm being rejected or doing the rejection, just like AverageGuy said above. No excuses, no lame reasons needed - unless there is actual, honest feedback on something I can actually change or improve about myself that may be useful in the future.

I have no respect for cowards who just fail to respond and leave things hanging, though sometimes they will come back weeks later, it seems. By then, I'll have moved on.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
"Sorry, this isnt going to work for me. Good luck with everything."
Maybe offer to be friends if there is genuine interest in that.

Of course, this almost never happens.

Asking adults to have adult conversations is not realsitic. Especially with text messages, email, etc.

At the end of the day, if there isn't interest from one side, most of the time the non-interested party doesnt care enough to reject someone with compassion.
The fade out, or ghosting has become the popular method of choice IME. No one wants to be held accountable anymore. God forbid a guy be upset that he invested time, money, and energy into entertaining someone, only to find out she isn't interested in him that way.
I think if women paid their way, and didnt expect as much from guys early on, the rejection would he easier to handle. But, dates, planning, restaurants, fun activities cost money and energy, and very seldom do women take a man out, especially early on.
So women say, "but guys get mad when I dump them." Well, they get mad and frustrated cause they just busted their butt trying to entertain you, and it wsnt good enough.
Next time, if you are thinking you may not be jnterested in a guy romantically, but give it one last shot, then, take the guy out the last time, AND pay.
I gaurantee he will appriciate the effort, and that you disnt just use him for a few meals or whatever. Most guys anyway.
I agree. it's the effort of having to do all the planning while she expects to just get woo'd. Then, in the end, she's not even interested to begin with. Yet, she'll chase for the guy who wants to plan nothing and trip over every other girl chasing after him.

For rejection, I rather just hear it straight. I'm not interested in a relationship, but we can still be friends. By friends, I truly do mean be friends. Talk here and there and do activities together. What's the point of saying lets be friends if you aren't going to put any effort into building a friendship.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
I agree with the method of being upfront & to the point. If it just isn't working, say so. Fade out or becoming non-responsive really makes me mad. We're all adults, act like one.
Well said.

No one likes abject pusillanimity!

Last edited by picklejuice; 03-22-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships