Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times

Advertisements

I think it's when things actually work between the 2 people seeing each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 PM

633 posts, read 723,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You obviously know most men would say "take a walk" to that kind of ultimatum.
Yeah. The details of our love story is detailed in 1 of my threads. He DID basically told me that. I'm Not the type to chase guys so I really thought it was over. What's strange is... even if he did. I never regret sleeping with him. It's coz I WANTED to. And he isn't the type to force anyone. He did not force me. We both wanted it.

So 4 days later after he broke up with me, when he emailed me and offered marriage. I accepted him back.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,027,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
That's not really true but you will encounter that opinion a lot online.
That is my impression too. All my life, I've never been interested in more than one person at a time, and it never seemed that I was ever pursued by more than one person at a time. And when I think of other friends and their relationships, I don't remember anyone ever dating more than one person at a time. Meeting people IRL doesn't afford the variety of opportunities to do so as does online dating, IMO.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,603,692 times
You can choose to only date women who want exclusivity right away, but remember that most attractive of both genders are likely to have more than one suitor at any given time. At times a person who wants exclusivity from the get go, comes accross as very clingy and desperate and its pretty much a norm to date multiple people until you are ready for an exclusive relationship. I was dating few girls simultaneously when I met my current gf, and while she assumed exclusivity right away, I had to ask her to slow down and revisit the exclusivity convo some time down the road. As time went on, I slowly began cutting out contact with the other women and today we are in an exclusive relationship. I think this course of action is very popular today or at least a lot more popular than exclusivity from day 1. I mean think about it, this woman knows absolutely nothing about you, or what you can offer her, yet she should stop talking to any other guys that are interested, because of what reason? Better yet, give a woman the best sex of her life, and she will not only stop seeing other guys, she will never, ever cheat on you - even if you are still seeing other women. Someitmes its a simple incentive-reward type deal.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 AM

393 posts, read 466,454 times
I think that in large measure, asking someone to be exclusive is a way to provide oneself with a sense of the moral high ground. If someone's partner/spouse wants to see someone else, they can do it whether there's an agreement to be exclusive or not. But if their partner finds out about it and feels hurt (as almost everyone in that situation does), they can feel like there's a basis to morally denounce what's happened, thereby making themself feel better. If they never asked their partner to be exclusive, then they'll feel hurt anyway but won't be able to make any argument criticizing their partner. When people feel hurt, it always feels good to have a reason to say that what was done to hurt them was not justified.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
They have the right to ask, and you have the right to say no. They then have the right to accept that or dump you.
Cosign.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
You can choose to only date women who want exclusivity right away, but remember that most attractive of both genders are likely to have more than one suitor at any given time. At times a person who wants exclusivity from the get go, comes across as very clingy and desperate and its pretty much a norm to date multiple people until you are ready for an exclusive relationship. .
I don't know that attractiveness and having more than one suitor go hand in hand.

I don't think someone who once they begin dating someone, expects exclusivity right away is necessarily clingy or desperate. From what I see, and this applies to both men and women, they'll move on to someone else who does desire an exclusive relationship, or not date at all rather than deal with the drama of someone who seems to be bouncing amongst many people.

When I was dating, if I had the sense someone didn't wish to be exclusive, I wouldn't say "I expect exclusivity". I would exit the "relationship" as I didn't really want to wait around while they figured out when and if they wished to be exclusive.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I don't know that attractiveness and having more than one suitor go hand in hand.
If you define attractiveness broadly as overall desirability, they generally do.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
If you define attractiveness broadly as overall desirability, they generally do.
Naturally a more attractive person has more potential to have more than one suitor(was that the original word used?)...whether that is what they actually desire though, is something different though. And that same attractive person certainly has more potential to find someone who has the same desire for exclusivity.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Naturally a more attractive person has more potential to have more than one suitor(was that the original word used?)...whether that is what they actually desire though, is something different though.
Suitor is generally defined as "someone who is interested in you." The number of suitors you have has nothing to do with the number you desire to have, unless you're good at scaring them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships