Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

This can go in a multitude of directions. I have dated women, especially when I was in my 20s that were seeing another man when we first started seeing each other, so I obviously tolerated it. It is dating afterall.

The question is "Are you ok with the situation?". Some people can handle it, others can not. Sometimes you find out 6 months down the road that the person is not the one for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,544 times
I really doubt they're exclusive, considering they've only been seeing one another 4 weeks max.

If it was a relationship that lasted a few months, I would be more concerned.

Right now I'm also talking to other women (not having sex though), and don't plan to stop until the exclusive talk comes up. But let's see how the next few weeks go..who knows, maybe one of those other women will be the one for me...same for her.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:17 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
To me, dating and seeing someone are two different things. Dating is we've hung out a few times, seeing someone means we have been seeing each other an extended amount of time, or we are sleeping together. To me, seeing someone is a relationship without either party having the exclusive talk. You're talking everyday and are doing more than just a casual meetup here and there.

Dating is super casual in my book. You go out here and there, but there's no promises that you two will venture beyond that. Seeing someone, to me, has ventured beyond what my definition of dating is. Dating is just friends, with no guarantee of anything more.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
First - this is "spark" girl from the previous post.

She ended up with my phone number, and we've been texting almost nonstop for the past 3 days. She's about a month out of a 2 year relationship, and told me she was "seeing someone" when we first met - but then complained about certain things about them (which sounded similar to my complaints about the girl I was seeing at the time, although I've since broke up with her).

Is this common in the dating world? I was cheated on by my ex wife, and never would want to be one of those guys, as I distinctly remember what it felt like going through it.

But this is dating, not a 10+ year relationship and marriage - this is what people do, right? I don't have any right to pry or tell her to stop..

Anyway, she may come over tomorrow, and we've talked about how we both miss cuddling, intimacy, etc, and she's a bit suggestive with possibly wanting more than that..

I'd really love nothing more than to cook together, cuddle and watch a movie, then a night of passionate sex, like some of the good days back in the marriage..

But she's "seeing someone," soo...?
It is not normal in the dating world. Only in your world apparently.

Stop putting up with the crap and stand up for yourself.

Saying she is seeing someone is sometimes an excuse. If you push she will retreat but if you give her time she may dump the guy and come to you.

Why would you sit and listen to someone complaining when you hardly know them? I don't like hearing a complainer whom I have known for years. Move on!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:30 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Why wouldn't you hop on this chick? She doesn't have a ring on her finger, does she? Marriage (and even engagement) is an institution we all should respect, but dating is survival of the fittest. Worry about hurting your competition's feelings and you're going to be the one home alone jacking. Invite her over and do what you have in mind.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:

She ended up with my phone number, and we've been texting almost nonstop for the past 3 days. She's about a month out of a 2 year relationship, and told me she was "seeing someone" when we first met - but then complained about certain things about them (which sounded similar to my complaints about the girl I was seeing at the time, although I've since broke up with her).

Is this common in the dating world? I was cheated on by my ex wife, and never would want to be one of those guys, as I distinctly remember what it felt like going through it.

But this is dating, not a 10+ year relationship and marriage - this is what people do, right? I don't have any right to pry or tell her to stop..

Anyway, she may come over tomorrow, and we've talked about how we both miss cuddling, intimacy, etc, and she's a bit suggestive with possibly wanting more than that..

I'd really love nothing more than to cook together, cuddle and watch a movie, then a night of passionate sex, like some of the good days back in the marriage..

I don't have much to add. It sounds like her commitment in her month long "relationship" is rather lukewarm, so proceed.

We do not know if you are in a big city or small town. If it is the latter, you and she will want to wisely choose where to hang out in public (restaurants, etc) as there is always a chance of you two running into this guy she has been seeing and it could be uncomfortable/awkward, especially for her. In a larger city, there is less chance of that happening.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I don't have much to add. It sounds like her commitment in her month long "relationship" is rather lukewarm, so proceed.
She also sounds like someone who doesn't know how to be alone considering that she's already seeing someone just a month after getting out of a long term relationship and now she's possibly adding another guy to the mix. She might have even been seeing the guy before she broke things off with her ex.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
As long as they are honest with all parties involved, no problem. Pretty common practice.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:04 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:

If you want to spend time with this person, then you should do so.

While you may think you're different or viewed differently, you're not. If she's hanging out with you while 'seeing' someone else, she's certainly willing to hang out with someone else while she's 'seeing' you.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
I'd ask if she's (either actually or technically) exclusive with the person she's seeing. If so, tell her that you can't date her while she is. If she's not, then you're both free to do as you please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships