Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 10,293 times

Advertisements

I'm in my first "real" job out of college, and am interested in a coworker. She spends a good part of the day talking to me on work messenger about work and non-work related topics. When I first started I had a girlfriend and didn't really have any feelings towards it but now I am single and the past couple months I have become very attracted to her and have that "crush" feeling.

The problem is that i'm horrible at picking up signs on whether or not a girl is interested, so I can't tell if shes just very talkative to me, or if shes interested in me. She has been there about 1.5 years and I've been there just over 6 months. She has a lot of friends in the office, and I would assume she would vent to them or talk to them about her weekend and her upcoming plans instead of telling me, unless she is just trying to make conversation with me. She told me how she was single, then later said her friends wanted to send her on a blind date with some guy but she wasn't interested. Again, I don't know if shes just talkative, or if she is interested in me.

I want to ask this girl to go out sometime but I'm not sure if shes's even interested, and if she's not, do you think she will feel awkward? I know, don't dip your pen in company ink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
It can be good or bad. When I did it everyone teased me at work. Lol
But remember if it ends badly it can be rough. Ask her point blank, "Hey! Wanna go out?" She stares at you....thinking....
You say, "Um it's just for lunch" watch her reactions. She makes too many excuses its a no go. She studders or laughs..she may like ya.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Don't poop where you eat.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:18 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Ask her to happy hour.

But don't even bother if you don't have a strong feeling about her. Basically, if you just want to get laid but not really a relationship, or she's just the only girl around until you find someone better, don't do it. It will end badly and you'll have a bad rep at work.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:20 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.dot View Post
Again, I don't know if shes just talkative, or if she is interested in me.
dude, take a royal hint, she's interested, and she's probably just as clueless as you. how you handle it is a different question.

I'd begin by exploring it further with her at a nearby watering hole for happy hour. Then if it becomes too chummy or google eyed, do the "I'm not sure we should be doing this" routine. And by the way, I'm a believer in the don't poop where you eat rule, but keep us posted anyway for entertainment sake.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
Then if it becomes too chummy or google eyed, do the "I'm not sure we should be doing this" routine.
Why would he do that? Women don't like unconfident men.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Why would he do that? Women don't like unconfident men.
well by that point he has already established his confidence by leading/exploring it to that point. the "we shouldn't be breaking the rules" sometimes tends to raise the sexual tension... but it's just a theory

Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
well by that point he has already established his confidence by leading/exploring it to that point. the "we shouldn't be breaking the rules" sometimes tends to raise the sexual tension... but it's just a theory
It makes him seem unsure or perhaps not attracted to her.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
It makes him seem unsure or perhaps not attracted to her.
okay, but we maybe getting ahead of ourselves here... lets see if you move it forward from office messenger to after hours one-on-one

Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
I personally do not mix work and romance with all of the workplace rules the last 20+ years. If this is a place you want to stay at for quite awhile, I would not ask her out. If you consider it a temporary workplace before moving on, do so but do NOT pressure her at all if you are initially rejected. I am for women's equality, but the workplace rules for romantic relationships with the opposite sex significantly favor women. Most women would agree with me, too.

Unless she is giving you a strong green light the entire time, I would avoid it. I am not trying to discourage you. Back in the 1980's, I would say "go for it". That was an entirely different situation. I asked a couple women out from work back then. Today...no way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships