Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:34 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,960 times

Advertisements

I just got back into this thread, and I'm sorry I did. Makes me feel so sad that so many people feel this way. I am grateful for the few who seem to know that love goes far deeper than how a person looks.

My question is how would a person even know that their spouse would flip on them and get turned off if they were disfigured by a disease or accident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 03:43 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
I just got back into this thread, and I'm sorry I did. Makes me feel so sad that so many people feel this way. I am grateful for the few who seem to know that love goes far deeper than how a person looks.

My question is how would a person even know that their spouse would flip on them and get turned off if they were disfigured by a disease or accident?
Well, there's always asking them. But, if I looked like the "elephant man" I'm pretty sure my (hypothetical) husband would not be attracted to me anymore. Could he still love me? Absolutely, but I think it would change to a platonic love and not the type of love a lover feels for his/her SO. Personally, I couldn't remain with someone who didn't see me as their lover anymore.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:27 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post

Don't be sad. These are all real, and honest, opinions and I'm sure every scenario is different and warrants individual consideration. I think men are naturally shallow when it comes to appearance. I would venture to say that woman are somewhat that way also. It's a natural bias for the visual beings that we are, I suppose. As Kaye02 said (in so many words)...you may still love someone but the lust / lover part will probably be affected in a negative way.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:13 PM

19,633 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I've thought about this before and decided...........If I were married and was really horribly disfigured, due to illness or an accident, in some way I think I'd just divorce my husband and let him move on, and then live alone. I think that would be better for both of us. Sexual attraction is a huge part of a romantic relationship, sorry but it is, if that's not there you might as well just be friends.
Some people can have something much more than "just friends" without it being sexual. It's a level of emotional connection that unfortunately too many people do not experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships