Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yeah. And those were the exceptions. What's more, how much better could they have been?

Okay, you guys are right. Starring glassy-eyed at a video game screen for hours and hours on end shooting imaginary space aliens and good, valid, and constructive use of your time. I apologize to the gamer community for actually suggesting otherwise.
cpg, I am really puzzled, what freaks you out so much about gaming? And exactly how many grown-ups do you know who "stare glassy-eyed" et. al.? Seriously? You know people like this?

I know so many people who love their games, and none who are literally glassy-eyed zombies.

What scares you so much about people having fun in this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Yeah. And those were the exceptions. What's more, how much better could they have been?

Okay, you guys are right. Starring glassy-eyed at a video game screen for hours and hours on end shooting imaginary space aliens and good, valid, and constructive use of your time. I apologize to the gamer community for actually suggesting otherwise.
And arguing with strangers on internet message board is a better use of your time?

Pot meet the kettle.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Um, irony is when something expressed has the opposite effect of the intent. I didn't threaten anyone.
He didn't threaten you either.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
And arguing with strangers on internet message board is a better use of your time?

Pot meet the kettle.
Exactly, and not in a mean or "ah-ha!" kind of way. We ALL have technically useless pursuits. We're human beings. We spend an awful lot of time being mature, handling things and taking care of our responsibilities. We have our fun stuff just for, well, fun.

Fun is NOT scary. Or it shouldn't be.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,016 times
Quote:
Shucks. I know several guys like that from high school. It's like they've never left adolescence.
According to you since they still play video games they are still in adolescence. Yet you are on here acting like a school yard bully to people who are different from you.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:34 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Um, irony is when something expressed has the opposite effect of the intent. I didn't threaten anyone.

Question of Maturity

Like I said, how ironica.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
According to you since they still play video games they are still in adolescence. Yet you are on here acting like a school yard bully to people who are different from you.
I was thinking more snob but yeah I'll buy schoolyard bully for $400 Alex.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
cpg, I am really puzzled, what freaks you out so much about gaming? And exactly how many grown-ups do you know who "stare glassy-eyed" et. al.? Seriously? You know people like this?

I know so many people who love their games, and none who are literally glassy-eyed zombies.

What scares you so much about people having fun in this way?
Because I had a group of friends who, in our late teens and early twenties, really started getting into that stuff. I didn't play because, hell, I was drumming in a band, running around with girls, hiking, reading everything I could get my hands on, and doing all kinds of other things. Every freaking weekend was a new adventure. The only thing I didn't try was skydiving because I'm too chicken sh*t for that.

It was weird. I would call them up and say, "Hey, what's up tonight?" And I'd get, "We'll we're all playing video games tonight." Seriously? Or they'd get into role-playing games. And it got to be that that was all these guys would do. Hang out and play these games. The lucky two or three that actually conned a woman into marrying them never had those marriages last because they were playing games. None of them could hold down a job, despite some pretty high IQs. One guy is a substitute teacher at age 52 while another is a clerk at a bookstore despite having a masters at Georgetown in International Relations. But they never could pursue any of these things because they were all obsessed with gaming.

So I occasionally deal with these sad, sad guys. People whose lives were indeed taken over by gaming who could have really had great lives. But now they are these bloated wretches who have nothing in their lives. Except the games. I never really understood the point of this runaway fantasy life when a much cooler reality was out there.

Last edited by cpg35223; 03-18-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why do you have a crappy life?
I don't, that was a generalization.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
Well I've met a few of those types as well. But you can't extrapolate based on anecdotal evidence. It is 2013 after all, certain games like World of Warcraft have had their demographics change so much that they might as well be unrecognizable from a few years ago. Now almost half the population of that MMO is female.

Besides, any complaint you could make for video games you could make for any other games, or indeed, any hobby. Why do you waste time doing X? Why collect old stamps? Why make clay sculptures? Why watch movies? The difference is society respects and values people who can toss a ball around on a field more than they do someone who can micro well in Starcraft 2 (though the latter is starting to make some serious money now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships