Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:25 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times

Advertisements

Sure, I gave up years ago. I actively tried for years and I got nowhere, so why bother? Why expend a lot of effort if the results will be the same (or worse) than if I hadn't tried at all? I wish I had realized that when I was 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Thread topic sounds very familiar.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 AM

968 posts, read 1,137,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post
Women? Men? We all been through the pain of life, had some hard times dealing with the opposite sexes. As for me. I've come to the day where I gave up. I'm a giver, overall nice person. Never been one to plot and plan on how to not end up lonely at the end of the night as some people I know do this. I've been cheated on, lied too so many times that I haven't had the ability to give anymore effort anymore. Anyone (Women/Men) feel what I feel?

Where are you (Women) so I can date you and see if you stand out from the rest like I do?
Everything is always a damn game....

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
An old friend of mine (old as in I have known her for over 20 years, she's only 38) is quitting/giving up.

But you know what gets me about that? She never really tried in the first place.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Women? Men? We all been through the pain of life, had some hard times dealing with the opposite sexes. As for me. I've come to the day where I gave up. I'm a giver, overall nice person. Never been one to plot and plan on how to not end up lonely at the end of the night as some people I know do this. I've been cheated on, lied too so many times that I haven't had the ability to give anymore effort anymore. Anyone (Women/Men) feel what I feel?

Where are you (Women) so I can date you and see if you stand out from the rest like I do?
I am the kind of person who will never give up on love. My friends said that is because I haven't been hurt. They are right, I've never been hurt so badly to a point where I just want to "give up". Maybe I am just lucky, I don't know.

Remember, strength in the muscles of your body is created by your muscles being ripped apart, and then rebuilt. Your heart and your emotional intelligence and fitness operate the same way. It is easy to close down after you’ve been hurt. It’s easy to throw a wrench into real love when it comes. I understand it’s scary, but WHO CARES

Move forward in spite of your fear. Move forward INTO the scariness of it all. Be courageous. Don’t let fear win. OPEN UP anyway. The risk of not opening, in the end, is far worse than the risk of opening.
Don’t let love pass you by. Don’t let fear win.

Learn to value openness and rebuilding your heart more than safety. Don’t let the wounds of the past create a wounded future. No. It can be different. Love can be yours. But first you must be open to it. Learn how to be more loving from your past pain, not how to be more closed.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
I've been hurt and deceived and cheated on and treated like dirt.

What does that have to do with 'giving up' on love?

Just because SOME people are aholes doesn't mean you don't deserve to go after what you want.

And my last two relationships have been very, very nice.

You just have to pick non-ahole people.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
I don’t know – as I mentioned before, in most cases I got friendzoned because I was apparently “too nice”, and that always followed with assurances from people that I will eventually find the right person, im a great guy etc etc (not sure if i agree with that LOL )

In 2, 3 other cases I fully lay the blame on myself for coming on too strong, taking things too fast – and I think ive moved away from those traits.

If there’s one thing I can say to my credit, I’ve always geniueinly meant well.. even in the few random hookups or one night stands that ive had.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,210 times
Quote:

Yeah. I've been there for some time now. These days, if I were still looking for someone to spend time with, I would not be spending as much time on CD. I'd have other things to do. I'd have someone important to talk to and spend my time with.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am the kind of person who will never give up on love. My friends said that is because I haven't been hurt. They are right, I've never been hurt so badly to a point where I just want to "give up". Maybe I am just lucky, I don't know.

Remember, strength in the muscles of your body is created by your muscles being ripped apart, and then rebuilt. Your heart and your emotional intelligence and fitness operate the same way. It is easy to close down after you’ve been hurt. It’s easy to throw a wrench into real love when it comes. I understand it’s scary, but WHO CARES

Move forward in spite of your fear. Move forward INTO the scariness of it all. Be courageous. Don’t let fear win. OPEN UP anyway. The risk of not opening, in the end, is far worse than the risk of opening.
Don’t let love pass you by. Don’t let fear win.

Learn to value openness and rebuilding your heart more than safety. Don’t let the wounds of the past create a wounded future. No. It can be different. Love can be yours. But first you must be open to it. Learn how to be more loving from your past pain, not how to be more closed.
This is me. I went out on a date from hell last night. It was so bad that I was telling my friends how terrible it was, while I was on the date. Do I see myself giving up? No way in hades. A bad date tells me I'm one step closer to finding the person that truly wants to spend time with me and vice versa.

I still feel that people who give up on dating are unwilling to change who they are, or what they are attracted too. Maybe you are hurt all the time because you are attracted to people who treat you poorly. Take some time and explore why you find yourself attracted to the same types of people.

Giving up on dating just means you will date the same type of person, you stopped dating to avoid, when you resume dating again.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The one thing there isn't any shortge of in the U.S. is hook-up material. If a guy can't find a girl (or vice versa) the thing that is holding them back isn't their face, or their body, its between their ears. The fault is 100% yours if, by adulthood, you have not had any kind of success with the opposite (or same) sex. And, that's cool, leaves more for the rest of us. Just own the dysfunction, instead of always holding oneself up as being such a great person, i.e. putting the blame on others. Who knows, become strong enough to take a good, hard, look at yourself and how others might see you... idk... maybe your luck could change? You know you want it to...

H
So in short they should just quit trying. Your pretty much regurgitating the OP's point.

Maybe the issue is that people feel that if they don't have success with the opposite sex than they fail at life. As if there is nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships