Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:32 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times

Advertisements

Why do we keep saying this nonsense? All it does is give false hope.

I know many people that have never found their person. I probably won’t find mine.

A coworker has looked for his person for years. He died in November, without ever finding his person.

My friends husband left her when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She has spent the last four years doing her thing, being open to dating but not searching for a date. Last week she found out the cancer is back, stage 4.

Lots of people never find the person that is crazy about them. Which I do realize is necessary to have a successful relationship. Just liking someone doesn’t get far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 01:35 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,223 times

Well I guess without hope, what else is there.....

Old 02-10-2019, 01:39 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

I know many people that have never found their person. I probably won’t find mine.

A coworker has looked for his person for years. He died in November, without ever finding his person.

My friends husband left her when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She has spent the last four years doing her thing, being open to dating but not searching for a date. Last week she found out the cancer is back, stage 4.

Lots of people never find the person that is crazy about them. Which I do realize is necessary to have a successful relationship. Just liking someone doesn’t get far.
The right person probably IS out there, somewhere. But the chances of you ever meeting them? Who knows. But as far as "false hope," that seems like a lousy attitude to me and one that will more likely cause you to miss that special someone because you have your head in the wrong place.

Be pessimistic if you really want to, but please stop trying to spread your pain around. It really isn't good for anyone.

If you can't find the "right person" then look for the "most right person you can meet."

Old 02-10-2019, 01:50 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,217,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The right person probably IS out there, somewhere. But the chances of you ever meeting them? Who knows. But as far as "false hope," that seems like a lousy attitude to me and one that will more likely cause you to miss that special someone because you have your head in the wrong place.

Be pessimistic if you really want to, but please stop trying to spread your pain around. It really isn't good for anyone.

If you can't find the "right person" then look for the "most right person you can meet."
Exactly. Well said, nothing else that anyone else should say. Thread closed

Old 02-10-2019, 02:00 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
So are we to assume the fiance is a thing of the past?

Old 02-10-2019, 02:02 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

And I thought this was going to be a positive thread based on the title.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 PM

574 posts, read 377,219 times
I don't believe in the concept of soul mates. And I don't believe there is one person out there we are supposed to find. I believe there are millions. I was deeply in love with my wife. We were a really happy couple. But it was not just automatic. We both wanted a good and happy loving marriage so we both worked to make it that way.

I lost her a few years ago. I recently joined match and I am spending a lot of time looking over profiles and photo's. For the purposes here, lets say I have liked and sent a message to 100 women in my age range. I don't know the actual number. Doubt it is that high.

The soul mate and someone for everyone logic would be that maybe 1 of those could be the right one for me or maybe she is not even in that group? So why after reading what they said and looking at photo's are the other 99 not for me?

I chose based on women I thought I would like to be involved with. Women I would like to date and could possibly fall in love with. And I am certain if that opportunity was there and I began dating all of the 99 in order, I would never see them all. Within the first several I would find someone I could make a relationship work with. They are in the group specifically because I already find them physically attractive and if she doesn't snore or sleep walk with sharp objects, it may just work between us.

It is easy to get down about being alone. Loneliness sucks and I unfortunately know too much about loneliness and feeling really down about things. I bury that inside each time I walk out my door into the other world. Because with online dating it is more what the odds are. In public, there are chance encounters and if my head is hanging low cause I am feeling down, I will miss the lady trying to get my attention.

I may be alone for a long time or a lady I could fall for could walk into my life tomorrow or she could be sending me a opening message as I type. As frustrating and heart breaking as things can get, the only chance it to put a positive face on it even when you are dying inside. No lady has ever seen a really down and depressed guy sitting by himself and thought maybe she should get romantically involved with him or her for that matter.

Depression and self loathing is not attractive. It is the opposite. It is a major turn off to anyone. We don't have to be the life of the party and pretend our world is perfect. We just need to have a smile at the ready and not dwell on all the negative. Negative feelings about yourself and inability to have a love life builds on itself. It is a cancer that will consume you. Its not to say you have a good chance by always focusing on the positive. But by focusing on the negative, we have no chance at all.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Has nothing to do with pain. It is about being real. It literally is the most awful thing to say to someone. My friend has been hearing she will find Mr. Right for 4 years.... She gets out. She has a public job. She is smart, kind and just an amazing person. Yet she is getting ready to go into battle for her life for the second time.

Sure makes you think. Her now ex husband left her the last time. I don’t think I have an ex that would have held my hand while I get chemo either.

Actually I drove myself last time I had surgery, so I know I would be on my own.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
So are we to assume the fiance is a thing of the past?
Not yet but I am making things less easy for him. I remind him daily that all the things I like about relationships, he stopped doing, so I see no benefit to him.

I do know I need to find the man that is absolutely crazy about me. The problem is that they all act like that for a year or two. It’s after that it all goes down hill. So basically they like the idea of me, until they have me, than they have no idea what to do with the real me. So than they embark on this journey of trying to change me....lmao. Impossible.

But enough about me.

Just seems like it is impossible for some people to find their person. And it sucks to give them that false hope. My coworker died. He was still on dating apps

Old 02-10-2019, 02:14 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Probably the first thing that the op has said that I've ever agreeded with. The saying is silly nonsensical hogwash. No, plenty of people die alone and never really have had any kind of meaningful relationship.

Little harsh sounding I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships