Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Because it's not.

I don't think successful black women are any more arrogant than successful black men. At least successful black women don't usually start thinking that ALL black men are inferior to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I'm awaiting his explanation as well. This should be really entertaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
It is interesting that in America, when a black woman wants an equal or higher status mate, she is usually told she's arrogant, uppity and encouraged to lower her standards. I don't seem to hear that about other races.

Personally, I refuse to date "down" . Few times I tried, it did not work.

It's not just me.... Take a look at this video if you haven't seen it.

Frustrated: Black American Men in Brazil (POWERFUL DOCUMENTARY) - YouTube

Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
It is interesting that in America, when a black woman wants an equal or higher status mate, she is usually told she's arrogant, uppity and encouraged to lower her standards. I don't seem to hear that about other races.

Personally, I refuse to date "down" . Few times I tried, it did not work.
Different experiences as in mine when a gal wants an equal or higher status male partner she's called arrogant, uppity, stuck up, etc though that may be because gals seem to get shamed and told to their lower standards if they have standards other than 'nice'.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 PM

734 posts, read 932,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I agree. The two black men who I dated many years ago didn't have college degrees, but I didn't care because I liked them. If I choose to date someone without a college degree/professional career, that's fine, but it's also fine if I prefer to date someone with a college degree/professional career since I have those things myself. I don't know why this is so hard for some people to comprehend.
It really boils down to personal preferences, however, I think it's wrong to tell young black women (in particular) that they are out of line for wanting a man who has a similar educational background and/or career.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
It's real simple. It shouldn't be a requirement if a black man can successfully support himself without one though a legal means.

And let's not forget how many young people today are graduating with a mortgage sized debt just so they can say they have a degree.
More like it's real evasive. "It shouldn't be a requirement" doesn't answer how a gal with a degree wanting a guy with a degree is unrealistic and delusional. For it to be unrealistic and delusional there would have to be a low chance of her getting a guy who fits that standard such as a lacking amount of guys with degrees that it's such a rarity for her to think she can get such.

There are lots of things that 'shouldn't' be a requirement ala personal opinion such as blowjobs shouldn't be a requirement since a guy will most likely orgasm from sex. However that doesn't mean it's an unrealistic expectation or delusional.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,943 times
Quote:
It really boils down to personal preferences, however, I think it's wrong to tell young black women (in particular) that they are out of line for wanting a man who has a similar educational background and/or career.
But are you at least open to the idea that a man can make good money and be just as educated as you without even graduating from college? People, such as myself, are autodidacts.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM

734 posts, read 932,815 times
Quote:
It's not just me.... Take a look at this video if you haven't seen it.

Frustrated: Black American Men in Brazil (POWERFUL DOCUMENTARY) - YouTube
Those guys went to Rio and married prostitutes. This is so sad.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Why do you find it "so sad"?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,669 times
Quote:
It's real simple. It shouldn't be a requirement if a black man can successfully support himself without one though a legal means.

And let's not forget how many young people today are graduating with a mortgage sized debt just so they can say they have a degree.
A woman is allowed to have requirements of what she wants in a mate.
Guys do that all the time. You see a 40 year old stating he wants a girl that's 20, slim and pretty, meanwhile he has a protruding belly.Who gets to tell him, "it shouldn't be a requirement"?
What is wrong with wanting someone who has a similar educational background as you do? It's not like you are asking for something you don't have.
It also typically means that you both have something in common and can relate.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
well at least they got their green card

Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Listen this is nothing new. There are countless books and blogs written on this topic. If you haven't experienced it, count yourself very fortunate, because colorism is a very real occurrence amongst black folks.
I didn't say I have never experienced it, I said that your world of 15 year old girls doesn't tell the whole story. I have a confidence level that teens don't have. Why not preach confidence to them instead of crying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships