Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,890,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP's question is hypothetical. She's going off to college in the fall, and wants to know how to meet people in spite of her shyness.
Oh! That went right over my head. Well, OP, if, for example, you like that he's into soccer, you could try to be a soccer booster. That way you'll be in the same place at the same time more often.

It's hard to do this with a hypothetical person but you get the gist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,739,958 times
Quote:
You would never know who, among the dozens of students in your classroom, was kind and sweet, unless you had an opportunity to talk to them outside of class, and only if you took that opportunity, and started up a conversation. Students need to put themselves in environments that are conducive to striking up conversations, and then they need to actually speak to each other, and to as many people as they can, to find the personality type they're looking for, like you. It rarely happens just from attending classes.
Definitely agreed with your thoughts above, my friend R4T -- you are right; the OP should try participating in campus student organizations, clubs, etc., as you had suggested, which would make it much more likely for the OP to be able to find a compatible romantic match. I did a whole bunch of student organizations when I was in undergrad, including student gov't, school newspaper, and several other academic and other kinds of clubs and organizations, and all were very positive experiences for me.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 03-20-2013 at 08:54 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
dude, hot coeds have a bit more magnetic powers than that. Jet Jockey is totally right about this being the super rare exception to the rule.
Lol yes, no arguments that hot coeds have their positive qualities

I actually did date one twice, when I was in undergrad -- she was an outstanding-looking, very beautiful and gorgeous, red-headed sorority gal, who at first I thought was really nice and sweet. The first date was to a semi-formal dance, the second one to see a movie together. It went nowhere though after the 2nd date, I guess b/c I just wasn't the kind of guy she was looking for... (I guess I think she wanted someone much more "alpha" than what I could give her, based on my own basic personality.) In the end, she needed someone more alpha, while I needed someone nicer...

Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM

102,089 posts, read 107,163,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I did a whole bunch of student organizations when I was in undergrad, including student gov't, school newspaper, and several other academic and other kinds of clubs and organizations, and all were very positive experiences for me.
So, Knight, how come nothing happened? Just didn't meet the right girl through those activities?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
So, Knight, how come nothing happened? Just didn't meet the right girl through those activities?
Unfortunately, nope nothing really happened, on the romantic front...the one and only female date I really got from the student activities that I can remember was the sorority gal I mentioned earlier (we were in one of the same student clubs together), where we went on the 2 dates, but then things fizzled out

Ya but I guess you're right though, never really met the right girl, despite participating in quite a few student clubs in undergrad...

Also just wanted to wish the OP the best of luck, as well! I think that Ruth, Raena, and several other posters here had some excellent suggestions, for her

Old 03-21-2013, 01:19 PM

43 posts, read 126,970 times
Thanks for all the advice! I am trying to get honors so I can get a free ride to a transfer college so maybe I can be a tutor or something! Because this is a small community college there is no sports but i believe there are clubs. I doubt I will find anyone here, but for my transfer school is even smaller, but I will be living on campus and there are clubs, sports etc.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,659,185 times
Truth is, college is like women central...so many single women it boarders on ridiculous. I've been in classes where it's like 80% women...

So, given that...you get a good sense of how to weed out girls you wouldn't want to be with. Prissy? Next. Stuck up? Next. Not nice? Next. Attitude? Next.
Nice? Nothing better than a nice girl. idk, I fall every time for girls who are way too nice. It's a blessing they exist.

Last edited by dub dub II; 03-21-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,503,037 times
I think you've gotten some good advice, but don't get discouraged if you have no luck. First, your community college is more the size of a big high school. Depending on what is offered, you'll be segregated from a portion of the population (i.e., college transfer track vs. tech track). Once you transfer, even though the school is smaller, you'll likely have better luck. Your only problem is that groups have formed over the 1-2 years you're in community college, making it harder to break into one.

I'd concentrate on getting good grades and breaking out of your shyness while in community college. That way you'll be better prepared for after the transfer. If you meet someone then, great! But remember it likely won't be your first and you will be transferring. Take some chances and yes, you'll likely embarrass yourself on occasion, but remember that you'll be moving on to a new college with a chance to start over. Good luck and study hard.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:52 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,945,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
Hope you're just being humorous.

Being hot and put out are just not going to cut it.
Yea, gonna agree here.
Being hot and putting out gets you used and abused. And then eventually you get a reputation, and then a cycle begins.

Jus be yourself, have fun. If you are having trouble actually meeting people, and having conversation, then you need a social circle.
And really, at your age, as long as you are remotely height/weight proportionate, a guy will chat you up in class or in a lab, or in a hallway, or... you get the idea. Then, just get to know the guys. Become friends.
Also, gettin a job helps. Especially if you find something that is common among your age group. When you work side by side with people your age, it shouldn't take long for friendships to form.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,578,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleMae View Post
I'm not planning on changing how I look or anything like that to get to be noticed just to put that out there haha, however I am super shy and I am going to be a freshman in college soon! I've never had a "real" relationship including in highschool because I believe that it is a waste of time, (also my school is small). Now I am going to a bigger school, (around 3,000 a community college for my associates) and I have to completely start from scratch!

However I am very introverted but I am trying to be better! How can I strike a conversation with a guy or get him to "notice" me?
Most guys are just as equally as shy so they behave as if they don't see you even though they really want you.

Anyhow, I say, your best bet is to hang out with a group of girls who are extroverted and always have guys around them. These girls will not only pull you out of your shell, but out of all the guys who they hang around, at least one of them will fall for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships