Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,282,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Most judge a man by his ability to provide. American culture doesn't preach anything but getting ahead and ball.

Women aren't evil, they're judge trained to seek and marry success. I posted a article about low paying men equals lower marriage rates in the political section.
They just need to find A. A woman that doesn't need to be provided for or B. A women who has no concern for marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,688,976 times
I think its a matter of culture, gender roles, prevailing stereotypes and peoples personal definition of what defines "ambition".

One persons ambition might be another laziness or lack of and vice versa. So at best most of what your going to get here is assumptions and opinions.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,688,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I've heard men be called losers for almost everything

Not having a job
Not having a good enough job
Not having money
Not having enough money
Not getting girls
Not getting enough girls
Living at home with parents
Not being attractive enough

Etc
I've rarely if ever heard the term applied to women in any of these cases. It's a term almost universally attributed to males
That is why I jumped on the "I don't give a @#$%" train. Trying to worry about all these criteria for social acceptance is stupid and generally you find people who feel the way you do.

There is still some perverse over inflated criteria for men and women and society hopefully it gets better in the future.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,266,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Most judge a man by his ability to provide. American culture doesn't preach anything but getting ahead and ball.

Women aren't evil, they're judge trained to seek and marry success. I posted a article about low paying men equals lower marriage rates in the political section.
I saw what hardships my mother dealt with by marrying men that couldn't hold down jobs. I saw her emasculate them, because she was working and they couldn't. She would work two jobs from time to time, while they could barely work 2 days a week.

I wouldn't say I'm a gunner, but I am the guy who wants to maximize my income potential within reason. I have no desire to work 60-70 hour weeks; however, I don't mind working 45-50 hours a week. That's close to what I work now, because that's the amount of time it takes to get the job done.

I want to be able to contribute in a relationship, because I've seen what it can do to a relationship when the man can't contribute, or just doesn't want to contribute.

Likely, the two biggest reasons for divorce today is adultery and financial incompatibility. It's a goal of mine to keep my finances in order and have the ability to provide for a/my family in the future.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM

307 posts, read 629,223 times
I think you are all over-rating ambition. As long as a family earns enough for a decent lifestyle, lives within their means, and is able to save for the future, I don't see any need for ambition or constant chasing after something better. I would rather have my man available to spend time with me after work hours than to spend all his spare time chasing a dream.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,778,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I think its a matter of culture, gender roles, prevailing stereotypes and peoples personal definition of what defines "ambition".

One persons ambition might be another laziness or lack of and vice versa. So at best most of what your going to get here is assumptions and opinions.
Culture plays a big part of it I agree. Some women just accept a guy for what type of man he is like for example if he's the type to beat up a guy touching his woman arse she will keep him around but overall America is geared towards materialistic stuff and women with sense she what they're worth and want that.

I also feel women have less geared towards them which probably says a lot about the educational gap in some places.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 AM

51,935 posts, read 52,357,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RLK45 View Post
Nope... a "tinbanger" is slang for HVAC technician.
Tinknocker is the term I heard.

It means guys who install sheetmetal and ductwork.

Never associated "tinknocker" or "tingbanger" as an HVAC tech.

I've been in the HVAC industry 23 yrs now.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,450,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I saw what hardships my mother dealt with by marrying men that couldn't hold down jobs. I saw her emasculate them, because she was working and they couldn't. She would work two jobs from time to time, while they could barely work 2 days a week.

I wouldn't say I'm a gunner, but I am the guy who wants to maximize my income potential within reason. I have no desire to work 60-70 hour weeks; however, I don't mind working 45-50 hours a week. That's close to what I work now, because that's the amount of time it takes to get the job done.

I want to be able to contribute in a relationship, because I've seen what it can do to a relationship when the man can't contribute, or just doesn't want to contribute.

Likely, the two biggest reasons for divorce today is adultery and financial incompatibility. It's a goal of mine to keep my finances in order and have the ability to provide for a/my family in the future.
i mean no disrespect to your mother, but you used the plural term "men" which means she was with more than 1 who could not hold down a job. but what does that say about her and why she was attracted to this type of man?

Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM

9,001 posts, read 10,142,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post

Likely, the two biggest reasons for divorce today is adultery and financial incompatibility. It's a goal of mine to keep my finances in order and have the ability to provide for a/my family in the future
Very well said, this makes perfect sense.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:09 PM

968 posts, read 1,135,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Tinknocker is the term I heard.

It means guys who install sheetmetal and ductwork.

Never associated "tinknocker" or "tingbanger" as an HVAC tech.

I've been in the HVAC industry 23 yrs now.
LOL

Heating-Ventilation- Air Conditioning

You're always pounding on something...bang-bang-bang.

How do you roll that Pittsburgh joint down?

How about drive cleates?

Bang-bang-bang!
Spoiler

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships