Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Are you kidding (bold)?

Of course.

We were practically inseparable. I moved in with her dad for a few months (8ish), she moved back to my state for 4 years (I was at the university, she wasn't in school). We drove up/flew to spend vacations and time with her family repeatedly over the years.

I went camping numerous times with her family and genuinely had fun with them. What you're confused about, is you don't seem to understand the dynamics changed. You want to condemn the whole 10 years based off the very end of it. Sorry, but no.

Keep in mind the topic of this thread is falling in love online. NOT - "falling in love online with a relationship that lasted your whole life. Only people aged 90 and above may post."

For some reason, you have a bone to pick, and think you know more about my marriage and life than I do.
No bone to pick at all, and I'm sorry I apparently stuck a nerve with you

I was only responding to minx in the first place, not intending to engage you this way - so I'll stop now.

Thanks for clearing up that you guys did get to live in the same cities at various times before you were married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I'm with you TEBM, no disrespect LM, but he knows his situation, if he considers it success, it is success. Very interesting story and you certainly seem to be the exception to the rule. the 1% that works for. I too consider your marriage successful. 10 years together absolutely means something in my book.
I appreciate your thoughts and meant no disrespect to TEBM, apologies all around

Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No bone to pick at all, and I'm sorry I apparently stuck a nerve with you

I was only responding to minx in the first place, not intending to engage you this way - so I'll stop now.

Thanks for clearing up that you guys did get to live in the same cities at various times before you were married.
No offense taken.

Just correcting you.

BTW - what you mean to state is - "in the same city together continually for 5 years before you were married."

Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Yes, I think it's possible to 'fall in love' with someone without meeting them (as vague a term as that is), although obviously it's not wise to want to get married or something without meeting the other person. Then again that is nothing new with some arranged marriages etc. Of course, there's nothing wrong with long distance relationships, but of course it would be better to meet as soon as possible.

Regarding the actual meeting, while I've not met anyone I liked online, I did meet a long-time online friend IRL and the transition was surprisingly seamless. He just seemed like the same person. No nasty surprises or anything.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 PM

302 posts, read 474,102 times
Yes, it happened to me and my husband.

We sent emails back and forth for a couple of weeks, talked on the phone for another couple of weeks, and a month after we first met online he came up here. We lived together happily for about four years, and we got married a year ago Christmas Eve.

We are both in our 50s (although he was still in his 40s when he first came up), and had both been married before. I guess when you meet the "right" one, it doesn't matter how you met, only that you finally DID.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
no real life contact = no dice. you cant possibly use you own better judgment and intuition on fully on "what someone tells you and a few pictures"

its almost asking for trouble

as far as the whole "falling in love" part. people can fall in love with grapefruits if they choose to.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,470 times
Default Chemical Love, HORMONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2ybeautiful View Post
I mean if you have falled in love before actually meeting. Has this ever happened to you? If not, do you think it is possible? If you have, for how long did you chat the person before you felt in love and did your feelings change any after you met?

Personally, I think you can. I mean the type of love where one's looks do not matter and even though you are far apart it doesnt matter to both of you. Unconditional type of love. There is a story online about a couple who have chatted for 5 years before meeting and fell in love. When they met finally at the airport they couldn't stop hugging and months later married. I guess it depends on the length of time you chatted. Love is more than sex in my eyes. Sex can be better when in love.
LOVE that makes you feel good is SELF LOVE...Do you feel good...it's chemical and thats YOUR body and Mind making you feel good..........doesn't fit the definition of LOVE.........that's string fever
you know like dogs in HEAT...it goes away for some in their 30's 50's 60's 70's unless you get the right mixture of Chemicals....Like fixing other Brain disorders.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM

175 posts, read 279,483 times
It happened to me.

I met him randomly online and we started regularly instant messaging and emailing each other. Then we started texting...then came the long, heart-felt phone calls. I was head-over-heels for this guy. After a year (yes, a whole year, I think we were both too comfortable with just phone contact and nervous/scared to meet in person), I invited him to my college graduation; he agreed and I even bought his plane ticket. I was so excited to meet him, and so was he..or so I thought. On the big day, I went to the airport to pick him up but he wasn't there. He had not returned my texts/calls that day but I figured he was just busy packing. I think deep down I knew he'd be a no-show.

I was hurt but more so livid. He made up some excuse that he had a medical emergency but his story changed a few times.

I was in love..it can be argued that I was in love with a fantasy, a delusion..but I still think about him often despite the fact that we have zero contact for a few years now. Pathetic, I know..

I question everything this man ever told me. His story, his pictures, his family, even his name. My biggest mistake was going so long without insisting we meet. I am about to give online dating a shot, but after 2 weeks if a man is hesitant to meet me in person, good bye and good luck.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
I developed strong feelings for a guy I met online. We ended up skyping and texting each other all the time. Before I knew it, I was booking a flight to meet him. We met and had a wonderful week, but I have no clue what the future holds for us (if there is any). There was chemistry and there was a connection, but sadly we live so far apart and are tied down to current obligations in our hometowns. Honestly, I'm not sure if he feels as strongly about me as I do about him.

It's amazing how one message online led to this. My whole life has really changed from this experience. First time I've fallen in love and I'm still reeling from the experience.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post

My uncle, on the other hand, fell in love with a woman he met online. He divorced his wife, moved to Australia, and married her.
That story sounds familiar, some of it anyways.
Years ago my (now ex-) husband met someone online and decided he was in love and filed for divorce (he payed) and left. He stayed in Australia for 3 months and did not end up marrying her (she was married/in process of divorce). He ended up marrying someone else a year or two later.

I was not terribly unhappy to see him go.....

Later I did meet someone online. We chatted and did phone calls for a few months. Then we decided to meet in person and see if we liked each other. We have been together for 12 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships