Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 AM

59 posts, read 89,994 times

Advertisements

so my GF and I are in college, got an apt togetehr a few weeks ago. both live far from home. and i've had it, i don't want to be with her anymore. what the hell do i do? we still have to live together until our lease is up 11 months from now...im so lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:15 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,646,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsacguy31 View Post
so my GF and I are in college, got an apt togetehr a few weeks ago. both live far from home. and i've had it, i don't want to be with her anymore. what the hell do i do? we still have to live together until our lease is up 11 months from now...im so lost
Several questions / observations, etc. 1. How long were you dating before you moved in together?

2. Why did you commit to a lease situation if you weren't 100% sure, because you have been there only a few weeks and now you've "had it"?

3. Can you afford to A. Not only deal with the consequence of breaking a lease but also, B. Move out on your own?

4. This should have been at the #1 spot but, have you EVEN talked to her yet about your feelings? Communication is key. You obviously felt enough that you commited to moving in together so, what happened? You can't just break up,move out and say "so long" without some kind of explanation or conversation like adults.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Tell her to start looking for a new roommate.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 PM

751 posts, read 1,674,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsacguy31 View Post

See if she'll let you out of the lease.

Maybe you should've both got seperate apts instead of moving in with one another unless you were really sure of your relationship.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:25 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Come on folks, spare the OP the lecture... he's a college student. If you don't make simple relationship mistakes when you are 20, you just might make them when you are in your 40s and should know better.
One of you needs to move out, and whoever stays will need to get a roommate. Both of you should start perusing college boards for roommate situations. Just tell your gf ASAP and get the ball rolling before you get too deeply into your studies. I assume classes will be starting very soon.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM

751 posts, read 1,674,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Come on folks, spare the OP the lecture... he's a college student. If you don't make simple relationship mistakes when you are 20, you just might make them when you are in your 40s and should know better.
One of you needs to move out, and whoever stays will need to get a roommate. Both of you should start perusing college boards for roommate situations. Just tell your gf ASAP and get the ball rolling before you get too deeply into your studies. I assume classes will be starting very soon.
I don't think/feel I was giving the poster a hard time just giving my honest opinion.He can either fly with or not.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,648 times
Or since you're only a few weeks into your lease, talk to your landlord before talking with your gf. Try asking to see if he'll let you out of the lease with a month's rent in penalty.

Is your apartment a 1-bedroom? If so... you might be up a creek and end up having to pay half the rent while living somewhere else for the remainder of the lease.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:07 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
How you would handle it depends on whether your a lease holder or occupant. As an occupant, theres no obligation to the lease and you can pack up and leave.

As the sole lease holder you're stuck unless you early terminate, never use the former landlord as rental reference and expect to be approved for tenancy. In some states, the security deposit money can not be withhelsd for early termination, but you'd need to google and check state laws.

If the lease is in both names one or the other can leave but not both or you have the above scenario. In order for you to leave (it looks like that may be you) and in order to have your name removed from the following has to occur;
the remaining person has income enough to cover the rent alone, otherwise, the person that remains needs to find another suitable tenant, and have them complete an application with management for approval. If you have put up any portion of the security deposit, it can not be recovered through the landlord, that money remains in escrow until lease is fulfilled and properly terminated, you would recover that money from the new roommate unless you want to call it a loss.

The worst thing that you can do, if joint lease holders, would be to leave without having your name removed from the lease, you're still legally obligated for rental payments and any damage incurred during the tenancy,eviction filed that show up on your credit, or small claims court judgments naming you as a responsible party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships