Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:33 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times

Advertisements

People get comfortable with each other. They lose appreciation for each other, then stop respecting each other.

When a couple first starts seeing each other, they look at the other person with love and only look at the good qualities. As time goes on, it seems that they start looking at the other person in a new way - they look at the less attractive qualities and find fault or feel less close, because Heaven forbid, the other person is human!

People have to realize that there are ups and downs in relationships. If there is love, it is worth fighting for. Chances are good if both are willing to fight for it, it will endure. Folks have to realize, too, that everyone ages - and in different ways. If a man sees his wife looking less firm and more tired, he should take a good long look at himself as well (and vise versa). Appreciate what you have, because it could be gone.

As far as making "date night" as the "experts" suggest. I think anything that shows effort is a good thing. You don't know if it will work until you try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:34 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times

Lionel Richie - Truly - YouTube

Freddie Jackson-You Are My Lady - YouTube

If you're a guy and you want to keep the music playing....sing these songs to your significant other.
If you can't sing, dance to them with her.

Thank me later......

Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post

Lionel Richie - Truly - YouTube

Freddie Jackson-You Are My Lady - YouTube

If you're a guy and you want to keep the music playing....sing these songs to your significant other.
If you can't sing, dance to them with her.

Thank me later......
Add these, and add my name to the thank you note

Diana Ross & Lionel Richie - Endless Love - YouTube

Michael Jackson - The Lady in My Life (Full Version) - YouTube

Commodores - Still - YouTube

Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
^^^ Good advice. ^^^

But you don't have to know how to sing for it to be appreciated. For example, Nicholas Cage singing "La, La, La, La, La I Love You" in the movie Family Man.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Forever Young-Rod Stewart - YouTube

Old 03-24-2013, 08:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
To truly stay married today is harder than it's ever been in my book. It's way too easy to physically or emotionally move on to someone else. The overall success of facebook, along with online dating, has proved this. Also, the fear of commitment is hurting the people that want to get married. It just seems it's harder to settle down and build a strong foundation with someone.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
How did this become the music video thread? :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
As far as making "date night" as the "experts" suggest. I think anything that shows effort is a good thing. You don't know if it will work until you try.
I don't think anybody know if it really works. Wish I could hear from people who have lost their love and then got it back.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,431 times
Well from my experience and from what I've heard from some of my friends - all relationships go and up down over time. FYI, (the following scenarios are based on couples who truly love each other and are well suited for each other)

Some people are married and in it for the long haul while others bail as soon as a rough patch hits. It's two people sharing a very, very long time together so there will be rough patches; it's just natural. Personally, I've found that after each rough/dry/boring patch my love for my husband only grows. Sometimes you have to think about what life would be like without them to fully appreciate them. Now matter how some of the small things with him irritate me, and I am so very sure him with me too, I could never find anyone as wonderful or perfect as he is for me. We just came out of a rough patch in fact and I've never loved my husband more than I do at this very second. (Actually I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about how much I love him.)

Now I think your question was how do you rekindle the flame and does it actually work. I guess everyone approaches it differently but the most important part is that you don't give up. My friends have mentioned the same thing I said earlier, once you get to the other side after a rough patch it's better than it was before. Your love only grows with time especially since in the beginning it is usually a more selfish type of love that you share with each other, as you age the me, my, want, need, leaves the scene very quickly. That's when it becomes real love. Remember love is a verb not a feeling, not an emotion, and not butterflies in the stomach, no being a verb it requires action. You cannot reap what has not been sown.

Sorry if this made no sense but I started to get very emotional thinking of my precious husband and about how much I love him.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
I don't know. I've never married, but I imagine it involves a lot of good communication and trust.

And a lot of innovation in the relationship.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I genuinely believe that a love that is true, can last and endure, through all things...

Ironically that is the most likely music to make men impotent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships