Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Was there a trigger? I know there were certain things that would trigger my baggage hang ups the first few years I was with my husband. I recognized them and we talked through them. My husband can be really understanding and patient (sometimes ) and I was gradually able to get rid of that particular baggage. For me, talking helps.

Best of luck to you! From what I know of your posts, you seem like a great guy in a great relationship. I'm sure you'll come out of this stronger than you were before.
Thanks, dewdrop. If I tilt my head and close one eye, I can see what may have been the trigger. She started working towards her second master's degree (needed for the next step in her career) and naturally met a new group of people. One of them is a single guy with whom, as a result of working in the same field and with the same groups of people as her, she has become friends. I have met this guy a few times, and he's a really intelligent and nice person. Whenever she has met up with him to work on school stuff, she brings me along (likely to help dispell any suspicions on my part).

I know jealousy is a real monster, and perhaps that's what started the ball rolling. She actually called me out on it last night, saying that she notices my demeanor change whenever his name is brought up. At first, I tried to deny it, but I eventually owned up to my feelings and told her how I felt. I've been thinking about it since last night and I realize now that I'm being unfair and insensitive by projecting my past onto her (and this guy). He is one of the only people that understands what she's going through at her job and in school, and it's uncool of me to pressure her or make her feel bad for having a friend like that.

So, I'm going to apologize to her tonight (right before we head out to our favorite local bar to meet up with him and a bunch of other people from her class). I regret the way I've been behaving in this area and need to seek her forgiveness.

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I went through this. And for me the best things that worked were counseling and focusing on things I needed to improve on with myself. Now that you are in a marriage, you really need to focus on that. If you lose your spouse over this, you will be in way worse shape than you are now. You seem to have a great situation, so your confidence shouldn't be an issue, and she wants to be with you, so you do deserve her and deserve to be happy. I know it's easier said than done, but you really need to stop focusing on the negative and be thankful for the blessings right there in front of you. You have a second chance at happiness, which many people still don't have and may never get.
The bolded is exactly what I need to do...thanks for stating it, Raptor.

--Dim

Old 03-28-2013, 02:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,152,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Thanks, dewdrop. If I tilt my head and close one eye, I can see what may have been the trigger. She started working towards her second master's degree (needed for the next step in her career) and naturally met a new group of people. One of them is a single guy with whom, as a result of working in the same field and with the same groups of people as her, she has become friends. I have met this guy a few times, and he's a really intelligent and nice person. Whenever she has met up with him to work on school stuff, she brings me along (likely to help dispell any suspicions on my part).

I know jealousy is a real monster, and perhaps that's what started the ball rolling. She actually called me out on it last night, saying that she notices my demeanor change whenever his name is brought up. At first, I tried to deny it, but I eventually owned up to my feelings and told her how I felt. I've been thinking about it since last night and I realize now that I'm being unfair and insensitive by projecting my past onto her (and this guy). He is one of the only people that understands what she's going through at her job and in school, and it's uncool of me to pressure her or make her feel bad for having a friend like that.

So, I'm going to apologize to her tonight (right before we head out to our favorite local bar to meet up with him and a bunch of other people from her class). I regret the way I've been behaving in this area and need to seek her forgiveness.

--Dim
That's pretty amazing. Take a good look at what you wrote. You know what set you off, you recognize it, you are owning up to it, and you are working toward making it better. I have no worries for you, my friend!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
That's pretty amazing. Take a good look at what you wrote. You know what set you off, you recognize it, you are owning up to it, and you are working toward making it better. I have no worries for you, my friend!
Thanks! This thread has been very helpful to me...it is good to know that this subforum doesn't always have to be so vitriolic and bitter.

--Dim

Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,294,563 times
You've received so much great advice on this thread that I simply cannot add to it.

I can, however, wish you all the best in your relationship with your wife!

Take comfort in the fact that you have won half the battle by acknowledging your tendency towards overanalyzing , etc.

I predict a good outcome for you both!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
You've received so much great advice on this thread that I simply cannot add to it.

I can, however, wish you all the best in your relationship with your wife!

Take comfort in the fact that you have won half the battle by acknowledging your tendency towards overanalyzing , etc.

I predict a good outcome for you both!
Thanks picklejuice...I am definitely encouraged by reading the responses here!

--Dim

Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,102,666 times
Quote:
Absolutely this! Being able to recognize your baggage and work on solutions is half the battle. I think you'll be just fine, you seem really logical about the process and in tune with your feelings. If I were to remarry (and hopefully one day I will, fingers crossed!) I know that my spouse making a new opposite sex friend at work would trigger some bad feelings because my ex husband cheated on me with a coworker he claimed was just a friend. It would be difficult to separate those two situations because even though my logical brain would tell me this is a totally different person and there's no reason to think the past will repeat itself, I'm not sure my basic emotions and heart would listen to my logic. All you can do is be aware and work on it, and hopefully your wife is supportive and understanding of why you feel the way you do. Sounds like she is since she's including you in her time with him.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,956,298 times
IMO, the fact that you remarried says a lot.
Your s/o cares about you enough to commit to spend her life with you.

We all have baggage. You and your wife have found each other, and you can so far handle each others baggage. When you find the right person, the baggage doesn't seem to be such a negative.
I think even the best happiest couples still have to work at the relationship.
When you find the right person, it is easier, but most likely not 'easy' ? I donno, as I cant say for sure. All I know is, one relationship I was in was much easier than the others, and yet we lasted only 7 years. Since then, dating has been more difficult, not easier.

If your baggage is affecting you negatively, then change. Only you can change yourself.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,358,315 times
Been there. I'm single now, but I'm happy. My recommendations?

1) Definitely pursue the therapy - a neutral sounding board for stuff like this is invaluable. It might only take a few sessions.

2) Take up meditation. It really does help to quiet your mind and clean the negative thoughts out of your head.

3) Learn to distinguish what you can control and what you can't control. What you CAN control is mostly your own actions - in particular, how you treat your spouse.

I leave you with this: Whatif - Shel Silverstein

Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 AM

Thanks everyone. I talked to her about all of this last night, and things are definitely much improved! I can honestly say that seeing the feedback on this thread helped me process my feelings and get to the root of what's been bothering me. So, once again, thank you.

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships