Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,787 times

Advertisements

I know a number of women and men who are "kept" and not because their SO has money but because their SO works so they think they don't have too!! It's a joke and causes one partner to have the financial burden which in return causes unnessesary stress as well as tension within the relationship!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 03:24 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Well, my DH prefers that I don't work or work PT (if I wanted to work FT I certainly would ), so that's what I do.

It makes it easier because I take care of all the domestic stuff so when he has free time we can go do fun stuff.

But I have passive income, and worked like a crazy person from 15 to 45. I'm tired.

It needs to be mutually agreed upon by both parties, and if they are happy with the arrangements it's really nobody's business.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I do know a handful of women who are stay-at-home mothers by choice, but I wouldn't say that they believe they should be taken care of or that they don't work. They are contributing to the family and the household in a non-monetary manner.

I don't know any women who think they are princesses who should be showered with gifts. A lot of the dudes on this board say that that's how women are, but I know zero single women who are not independent and who don't have careers.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
when looking at the expense of a car, insurance, gas, child care,
(and some folks hire a cleaning lady) that would be a potential savings

the expense of a dishwasher/dryer/electricity- when she could be hanging the clothes out and washing the dishes
she could also be tending the garden, canning veggies for the winter
clipping coupons-be an extreme coupon fanatic
also, a good hearty woman, can be chopping wood for the woodstove-good exercise and mow the lawn
and she'd have plenty of time to cook, so would save money of going out to eat

you take all this into consideration, and she wanted to stay home, it could make sense.
Yeah, Little House on the Prairie days are long gone and few women want to go back to labour intensive back-breaking housework.

OP I am with you on this topic.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I only worked part time while married and I did ALL the chores at home. My husband always got a warm meal when he came home, I even cleaned his car, detailed the inside, moisturized the leather, etc. etc., I took his clothes to the drycleaner and picked his laundry from the floor.

Yes, in the summer I hung the clothes outside to dry (I still do) and I would have chopped wood if there would have been any. I am 36 and pretty female though . We did not have a dishwasher, nor did I want one.

I would not have done all that stuff if I would have worked full time. We would not have been able to enjoy the weekends together because we would have had to run all the errands and do the yard/housework. We probably wouldnt have been able to live in a house with yard because nobody would have time to take care of it. We wouldnt have been able to have our baby (dog) because nobody would have time to walk her.

Well, maybe it is because I am German, our culture is a little different.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know any women who think they are princesses who should be showered with gifts. A lot of the dudes on this board say that that's how women are, but I know zero single women who are not independent and who don't have careers.
This is the type of woman I'm talking about -- the ones with a sense of entitlement, who look at men solely for their potential as "providers" and divorce them when they get sick or get laid off or whatever.

I'll never forget my freshman year at university. I was talking with a bunch of sorority girls. They used to "study" at the law library, because that's were all of the law students were, you know. They admitted to going to college just to get their MRS degree. Stupid me -- I actually wanted a career -- asked, "Why do you want to get married so young?" and one told me, "Because I don't want to work."

I pointed out that if she stayed home and had kids, there was still an element of work involved in that. She told me, "Yeah, but that's a lot easier than supporting myself."

I am so not making this up.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:34 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I see all these childless couples, working like crazy and I dont really get it.

They can afford an awesome house. Nice big yard. Nice cars. A cleaning lady. A gardener. Maybe a dogwalker.

They are never home. The house looks nice and abandonded. Nobody ever sits on the lawn chairs.

They come from work at 5-7, then run errands or go out eating. Spend the weekends either working or doing housework. Or just need to rest. Maybe go out on Saturday night. Once or twice a year they go crazy in Vegas or go to Hawaii.

And no, they dont save for retirement - they spend their money on BS stuff.

I couldnt live like that forever.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:38 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I don't know any women who want to stay home because they feel they should be supported by their husband. Some DO stay home just because it makes economic sense given the cost of daycare. When my one male relative's twins were born and they had troubles finding cheap daycare, he was seriously considering staying home and working only part-time. His wife's job came with health insurance, and that was the deciding factor. However, they were able to find a low-cost but reputable caregiver before it came to that. I have a friend who stays home, but she has a nice-sized trust fund to contribute to the household expenses. Another friend stays home because her two children have severe learning disabilities and her professional degrees are in education - she has singlehandedly brought two children with developmental issues almost right up to the "normal" threshold for their age ranges in just a few years. There is a high school acquaintance that stays home, but her husband makes a ton of money and they have FIVE children - when she posts on facebook about who's sick, what she put in the crockpot, who's got a project due, how close she is to her pre-baby weight, what PTA meeting she went to, or what skinny latte she ordered, I think "good God, what if that was me? I'd kill myself in a week."

I would never WANT to be a housewife. I have no problem or judgment against women who do stay home - whatever works for the individual. But with my ADD, being a housewife just seems like a fresh slice of hell. And having been independently self-supporting since graduating college, it just seems weird to me. But also, the women in my family work. Even my grandmother had a part-time cafeteria job when the kids were in school. My mother and her sisters have all held jobs throughout their adult lives unless they were on maternity leave. Heck, when I left for college, my mother held TWO jobs - one was a retail gig that was just for the fun of it and came with a cool discount.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
I thought these kind of women were gone from Western countries...at least ever since the 60s and 70s. It's still par for course in the conservative parts of Asia, naturally.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Yeah, Little House on the Prairie days are long gone and few women want to go back to labour intensive back-breaking housework.

OP I am with you on this topic.
now now, its not like she's washing clothes in a stream on a wash board

mrs ingalls was a good woman, as was mrs. walton, you didnt hear them complaining-they even sewed their own clothes.. tended to the farm animals, even with 7-8 kids

now mrs. brady, even with a litter of kids, had alice, so when the kids were in school and alice was doing sam the butcher, what was she doing?

I think my fav stay at home woman, was samantha , (bewitched) she just married the wrong guy
she was a witch,,,, she gets points for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships