Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
The economy is a racket. There is no need for people to work as much as they do!

Long time ago they said technology and machines would make life easier, and there would be less working hours, but they lied and only increased the working hours and kept the profits to themselves.

People work more hours today then 200 years ago when people worked on a farm. Even though farm work was hard, sun down the day was over and it was rest time! Sunday was rest! And 2-3 months out of every year was rest!
Yes, life was positively idyllic back then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Yeah right, you've obviously never lived on a farm and had to milk cows every single day of the year. I'm always amazed at how many people view the past with rose coloured glasses on.
People in my family worked on a farm.. They lived very long and were healthy up into old age.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
People in my family worked on a farm.. They lived very long and were healthy up into old age.
And your point is?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
Its called the rat race, and everyone is working like they are crazy because they have to make sure their house, car and lifestyle is no worse than their freinds or neighbors. To me its sick to kill yourself working, so you can enjoy life when you turn 70. Thankfuly, life is alot more laid back in many places around the globe, and people pay more attention to actualy enjoying their every day life rather than work all day every day.

I went to Uruguay a couple of years ago, and witnessed an interesting interraction. There was a small bakery in a fishermans village called Punta Del Diablo, just south of Brazillian border. The woman who owned the bakery would bake roughly 50 loafs of bread every morning, so it was roughly enough for all the locals to purchase every day. An american businessman who distributed food products to restaurants in that region of Uruguay came in and said "I really like your bread, and would like to purchase 50 loafs a day so i can supply my restaurants with it. What is the best price you can give me at a volume discount". She thought about it for a couple of minutes and replied "I am very happy that you like my bread, but I am not interested in doing business with you, because if I sold you 50 loafs of bread every day, I would have none left for all the people in town that buy it".

This shows you how different her mentality and people in most of the world have, when it comes to work and materialistic things in general. ANy american would jump at thius opportunity and bake 100 loafs a day toi make the extra money. She, would rather enjoy her life and not overwork herself to death. This is only one little thing that took place, but there were many other examples I observed during my travels, where it was very obvious that people in many different cultures know how to live a life to its fullest and enjoy it, each and every day.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Its called the rat race, and everyone is working like they are crazy because they have to make sure their house, car and lifestyle is no worse than their freinds or neighbors. To me its sick to kill yourself working, so you can enjoy life when you turn 70. Thankfuly, life is alot more laid back in many places around the globe, and people pay more attention to actualy enjoying their every day life rather than work all day every day.

I went to Uruguay a couple of years ago, and witnessed an interesting interraction. There was a small bakery in a fishermans village called Punta Del Diablo, just south of Brazillian border. The woman who owned the bakery would bake roughly 50 loafs of bread every morning, so it was roughly enough for all the locals to purchase every day. An american businessman who distributed food products to restaurants in that region of Uruguay came in and said "I really like your bread, and would like to purchase 50 loafs a day so i can supply my restaurants with it. What is the best price you can give me at a volume discount". She thought about it for a couple of minutes and replied "I am very happy that you like my bread, but I am not interested in doing business with you, because if I sold you 50 loafs of bread every day, I would have none left for all the people in town that buy it".

This shows you how different her mentality and people in most of the world have, when it comes to work and materialistic things in general. ANy american would jump at thius opportunity and bake 100 loafs a day toi make the extra money. She, would rather enjoy her life and not overwork herself to death. This is only one little thing that took place, but there were many other examples I observed during my travels, where it was very obvious that people in many different cultures know how to live a life to its fullest and enjoy it, each and every day.

Ah, but the American way to take care of that is someone else would have found out about the bread offer, opened his own store, stolen the recipe from the woman and made MORE bread for less money and put her out of business, effectively gaining all the business for himself and forcing everyone else to work harder around him/her.

That's the American way.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Its called the rat race, and everyone is working like they are crazy because they have to make sure their house, car and lifestyle is no worse than their freinds or neighbors..
Really? Everyone does that? Get real.

I am 5 days into a 7 day trip to Scottsdale, Az catching Spring Training games. Sat low, even great seats behind a dugout are not ultra expensive at this time. Struck up conversations at each of the 4 games I attended, and almost every time it was a businessman with his family on vacation, just like me.

This year, I'll take 3 more vacations, and health issues would be the only thing I'd ever worry about stopping that. B/W vacation days and holidays, like most at my corp, we'll be out over one month.

I will have to work a few partial Saturdays at busy times, and perhaps a few hours past normal closing time off and on, but I'll also have days I'm only in and available 5 or 6 hours.

We talk of a rat race most do not partake of.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:42 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I was having this discussion with a female friend of mine -- both of us are gainfully employed, BTW -- the other day. I was quite astounded by the number of female acquaintances we had who didn't believe that they should work. They believe that a man should take care of them financially, apart and aside from the raising kids issue. I even know one childfree woman who thought this.

I think that men these days are far less tolerant of women who think that they're put on earth to be taken care of them, and maybe it's just because we live in a conservative part of the country that I seem to run into so many of these types of people.

I also think that it's a really foolish idea. If you believe in statistics, roughly fifty percent of married couples end up getting divorced, and women need to be prepared for this potential outcome. My own mom told me to always make my own money -- it didn't matter if I made less than my husband, but I should make at least enough to support myself, if I ever needed to.

What do the rest of you say? Are the days of women staying at home and being support by a man (for their entire lives) pretty much over?
I think those women that you talked to are in a minority that is getting smaller every day. I don't know one woman that feels that they "should not work" and that a man should take care of them financially, apart and aside from the raising kids. I do know some women that prefer to be stay-at-home mothers, and in all cases, that is also the preference of the husband/father, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Staying at home raising kids and housekeeping, is certainly nothing to undertake if you think it is "no work".

Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Really? Everyone does that? Get real.

I am 5 days into a 7 day trip to Scottsdale, Az catching Spring Training games. Sat low, even great seats behind a dugout are not ultra expensive at this time. Struck up conversations at each of the 4 games I attended, and almost every time it was a businessman with his family on vacation, just like me.

This year, I'll take 3 more vacations, and health issues would be the only thing I'd ever worry about stopping that. B/W vacation days and holidays, like most at my corp, we'll be out over one month.

I will have to work a few partial Saturdays at busy times, and perhaps a few hours past normal closing time off and on, but I'll also have days I'm only in and available 5 or 6 hours.

We talk of a rat race most do not partake of.
Must be nice. My last vacation was in 2009. My son is in college, and I don't see much vacation coming my way until he is done.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Plenty of people in my family still do. Lots of people do.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Ah, but the American way to take care of that is someone else would have found out about the bread offer, opened his own store, stolen the recipe from the woman and made MORE bread for less money and put her out of business, effectively gaining all the business for himself and forcing everyone else to work harder around him/her.

That's the American way.
jet, i thinks thats a bit cynical, the american way would be to get sick from eating the bread, sue her, she has to sell her business to pay for legal fees, and the person who got sick in the first place opens a bakery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships