Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:31 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
To be fair though I do look at it differently with a couple who were together and both are in the child's life (and both supporting child)versus a single mom where dad took off. If both parents are involved, then it's like a divorce without the papers. However, rarely have I seen that situation, it's usually the situation where the man has no commitment to the mom and child. Most of these women end up depending on welfare. Those situations under any circumstances are ones I am going to defend or support. CPG on the mark with his comments.
Hmmm. to a point. But the main impact on children comes when the parents are not living together and interacting with the child as an equal team, day in, day out. There is no substitute for that, and trust me, it is absolutely key. I live it and I just recently paid a very big price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Very good and thought out post. Kids need stability. Two parents capable of making a committment to one another are more likely to make a committment to their children. Yes single mothers can manage to raise good kids but that doesn't mean those kids didn't suffer for lacking a father.

It's a lot more difficult for a single parent to provide kids all that is required for a good childhood. Camping trips, family hiking trips, two sets of extended families. Both parents play a very important role -- best if they play it on a daily basis.
Even if that two parent theory is true people act as if a single mother or father is UNABLE all the way around of raising a decent child. There's married people living together and ripping each other's throats out and some single mother/father devoting their time and attention to the child. Just because the child lives in a household with a mother and a father doesn't mean jack if that mother and father hate one another. But it's always put across that no matter the conditions, as long as they are together it's going to automatically have great results. Not really.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM

469 posts, read 566,678 times
Kids before marriage is becoming "the norm" in our great country. What I don't understand is why women and men don't seem to realize that children bond the couple together forever and marriage is only until you get divorced. It doesn't matter the title of girlfriend or parent of unless its to an ex girlfriend or ex boyfriend then it should be " this is .... my SO and ... Parent"

Old 03-31-2013, 12:49 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmommy22 View Post
Can I ask why you prefer more children be born out of wedlock?
Already stated
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I try and inform people of the sordid history of marriage and encourage them to shun this outdated tradition.
Marriage serves no purpose.

A married couple isn't necessarily committed. An unmarried couple isn't necessarily non-committed.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Already stated

Marriage serves no purpose.

A married couple isn't necessarily committed. An unmarried couple isn't necessarily non-committed.
You're wrong, tho. It serves many purposes and benefits to society, just not for all.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Hmmm. to a point. But the main impact on children comes when the parents are not living together and interacting with the child as an equal team, day in, day out. There is no substitute for that, and trust me, it is absolutely key. I live it and I just recently paid a very big price.
I agree I think it is essential to have both parents who live together. I teach religious ed and most of my students have married parents (common since this is a Catholic church and most are devout). I see a big difference between them and kids who have divorced parents or just a single mom. Those I know with divorced parents have struggles for sure, but nothing compared to those with just mom in the picture. Those I knew with just a single mom often ended up as teen moms themselves or getting in gangs.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You're wrong, tho. It serves many purposes and benefits to society, just not for all.
Sorry. You're wrong.

There is no benefit to marriage that can not be had by unmarried people.

Now, you will say there is so why not go ahead to inform me as to what those benefits are.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry. You're wrong.

There is no benefit to marriage that can not be had by unmarried people.

Now, you will say there is so why not go ahead to inform me as to what those benefits are.
No, you're wrong. Would of's, could of's, what can be claims until the cows come home make no difference. What matters is what is. Successfully married people earn more than singles. Successfully married people live longer than singles. Successfully married people report greater rates of happiness than singles. And happy people, happy single people tend to marry and stay married compared to their less happy counter parts.

HowStuffWorks "Are married people happier than singles?"
The Case for Marriage: Why Married People Are Happier, Healthier, and Better off Financially*|*PsychPage

Although, successful marriage is just not for everyone.
Marriage Is for Rich People - NYTimes.com

Old 03-31-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
No, you're wrong. Would of's, could of's, what can be claims until the cows come home make no difference. What matters is what is. Successfully married people earn more than singles. Successfully married people live longer than singles. Successfully married people report greater rates of happiness than singles. And happy people, happy single people tend to marry and stay married compared to their less happy counter parts.

HowStuffWorks "Are married people happier than singles?"
The Case for Marriage: Why Married People Are Happier, Healthier, and Better off Financially*|*PsychPage

Although, successful marriage is just not for everyone.
Marriage Is for Rich People - NYTimes.com
Did you read your own links? Or just google a phrase that matched your hypothesis?
From your link
Quote:
a psychology professor from Michigan State University found that spouses exhibited an uptick in happiness soon after marriage [source: Stein, Song and Coady]. Then, those happiness levels gradually returned to their premarital state.
Quote:
Rather, it has led some psychologists to conjecture that married people are merely more inclined toward happiness since they're happier to begin with. Humans are predisposed to certain happiness ranges depending on their genetics, personality and life circumstances. Also, happier people are generally more social, and it follows that people who actively socialize will be more likely to meet someone they'd like to marry.
Quote:
As with other major life events, people are inclined to return to their innate happiness baselines as time goes on.
No evidence that marriage is the reason for the increases.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Did you read your own links? Or just google a phrase that matched your hypothesis?
From your link

No evidence that marriage is the reason for the increases.
Did you read what I actually posted? "And happy people, happy single people tend to marry and stay married compared to their less happy counter parts."

I clearly note it. I'm not sure what was so difficult to grasp about the sentence. And it makes total sense. Happy people are going to be more successful in general, are more likely to marry and stay married. Couple that with increased resources, a solid support system, and their demeanor and these people are simply in a good space compared to their single counter parts.

Your argument, OTOH, is simply a matter of your opinion. Nothing more. But, please try again if you can come up with anything substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships