Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,257,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In truth, despite the high-minded baloney, it's basically the coward's route. Because it tells the world that the man is not responsible for his own actions, and no smoke screen of words can really change that. A man, a real man, raises his children to the day they leave the nest. I'm saddened that this is even subject to debate.
That's nonsense.

Children don't care if their parents have a legal agreement with the state.

Do children do better with a stable home environment? It's almost certain that they do. Marriage doesn't guarantee that nor does the lack of a marriage guarantee that that doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
No, that's not the problem with what I posted. I clearly made an acknowledgement that you missed and you are unable to grasp the stats and data presented. The data also shows that financial security increases happiness (to state the obvious). The benefits of marriage are clear. The benefits are noted in the data and you want to ignore it because it doesn't fit your worldview and argument. That makes no difference to the reality of the benefits of marriage.

Single people are offered legal protections and tax benefits for children. A successful marriage is the creation of a family, which is rooted in the legal commitment made by two people. Where two people decide to become legally responsible for each other. It's that commitment that leads to the benefits of marriage. What you are saying is that people who do not make that legal commitment to each other are the same as people who do, and that's just an unreasonable position.
Read your link. Your link says that it's not marriage that is responsible.

As to the bolded, why is that position unreasonable? Do you doubt that there are unmarried couples that provide a stable, healthy, loving, environment for a child? Do you doubt that there are married couples that do not provide a stable, healthy, loving environment for a child?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:41 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,030,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
That's nonsense.

Children don't care if their parents have a legal agreement with the state.

Do children do better with a stable home environment? It's almost certain that they do. Marriage doesn't guarantee that nor does the lack of a marriage guarantee that that doesn't exist.
Marriage certainly doesn't guarantee a stable home environment, but it makes it a great deal more likely. Having watched any number of friends and family try it your way, and I can pretty much tell you it's for the birds. The fallout is pretty ugly, as a matter of fact.

Again, you know absolutely nothing about the subject of children and raising them. Walk the walk. Have a kid or two, raise them into their teen years, and then come back to us.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Marriage certainly doesn't guarantee a stable home environment, but it makes it a great deal more likely.
Citation requested
And remember, correlation does not equal causation.

Quote:
Having watched any number of friends and family try it your way, and I can pretty much tell you it's for the birds. The fallout is pretty ugly, as a matter of fact.
I've seen some ugly divorces as well.
Stalemate.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,030,088 times
Quote:
I've seen some ugly divorces as well.
Stalemate.
Again, you're single and childless. Your knowledge on this subject is non-existent.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,146,216 times
Quote:
Read your link. Your link says that it's not marriage that is responsible.

As to the bolded, why is that position unreasonable? Do you doubt that there are unmarried couples that provide a stable, healthy, loving, environment for a child? Do you doubt that there are married couples that do not provide a stable, healthy, loving environment for a child?
I have read those links a dozen times. I have them bookmarked. Unmarried, cohabitating couples experience dissolution of relationships >10x that of married couples-even with high divorce rates. It's actually quite rare for unmarried, cohabitating couples to stay together. At least in the US.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM

Default Regarding kids and marriage

Quote:
“The challenge is kids with cohabiting parents are three times more likely to experience their parents’ break-up by the age of 5 than kids with married parents,” says Brad Wilcox, director of the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia and associate professor of sociology. “They have less stability, security, legal and cultural support.”

As a consequence, Wilcox says kids in cohabiting homes are more likely to experience emotional problems, struggle in school and be more likely to use drugs later in life, compared with children of married parents. Based on his own research, kids in cohabiting homes do just as poorly in these areas as kids with single parents. “The fact is cohabiting relationships have remarkably lower levels of commitment. It gives the couple more flexibility, but less stability to the kids born into these relationships,” says Wilcox.
Report Finds More Unmarried Couples Are Having Babies | TIME.com

As you can see, fili, this is simply the reality. Cohabitating relationships have lower levels of comitment no matter what you may wish for. And just to note, you have not provided one citation or substantiation to your argument; only opinion, so it's odd that you want what you cannot offer inthis discussion. Just some food for your thoughts.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Again, you're single and childless. Your knowledge on this subject is non-existent.
He doesn't even need the experience. The data exists. I fail to see the purpose of his irrational interpretation of well known facts about marriage, children, cohabitation, etc.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,170,991 times
My take:

Marriage on the most part is best for children and the meaning of the family unit, other than that there's a potpourri of possibilities.

Most of the time: A Child(ren) need both a Father and a Mother in their daily lives to best flourish, of course there's those one or both parents that aren't fit to be such and changes that dynamic in potentially many different ending scenarios.

On the flip side: Children of single parents may or may not be brought up to their full potential but the "may not" is more prominent IMO.

Kudos to the great marriages out there especially those with children from that union and hope that it stays that way.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM

30,697 posts, read 21,836,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have read those links a dozen times. I have them bookmarked. Unmarried, cohabitating couples experience dissolution of relationships >10x that of married couples-even with high divorce rates. It's actually quite rare for unmarried, cohabitating couples to stay together. At least in the US.
I'm not a big proponent of marriage and I still believe if your going to have children a traditional marriage is the Ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships