Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amywu83 View Post
I have a profile at a dating site called lovebiker.com. since then, I have received lots of messages. many guys want to meet and date me. I wander if anyone tried online dating and have success. Please post your idea, if you have experience.
did i ever tell you about my internet dating experience?
my great cook from the city of the grand ol opera (nashville) turned out to be a one eyed hunchback very good at photo cropping and doing positive affirmations?
yes in deedy. internet dater no more.
i am happily recovering from eharmony, thank you.
stephen s
san diego ca
ps of course there is also the internet gal that has had 450 star bucks dates everyone of them honestly met the written requirements but she is still browsing, a little extra attention cannt hurt a girls ego
hey, but if he has got 180 million and looks like antony banderas why not, we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
stephen s
san diego ca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I met my sweet pookie online four years ago and a week. We chatted about what each other like and realize we might connect so I arrange for us to meet in this town center.

We went out for dinner at OCharley's and then went to the see the movie The Rundown with the "Rock".

I now understand when people say they are dating their best friend because that is what it feels like to us. We connect on so many levels and after spending years trying to find the right person in a night club I am a firm believer that you can meet the right person online.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
BTW, the OP is a spammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
Hehe, I remember spending like an hour, writing this "introduction" email to this guy I found on an online dating website..
I put a lot of thought into it, a lot of "me".

I remember being slightly wary when I received a response back not even 5 minutes later saying "Is this some kinda mass-mailer or what?!?"

I was so ... shattered by that response knockin the wind outta me, that I just about plumb fell over outta my chair. Some people can be so cruel. Some people, don't even realize it.

Gotta be careful, the world is only as good as you put into it. Or so I've been told lately.
Fiddlekitten, I'm sorry that happened to you. I know it had to hurt.

FWIW, I've been a moderator on a dating advice site for about five years now. Many of our members have met their significant others through online dating services - including the founder of the board.

One thing we've learned about online dating services - when responding to an ad, it's very important to respond to specific information in the person's profile. Rather than make a long post all about yourself, mention things in their ad that you found appealing, and why. An unbelievable number of people respond with a cut-and-paste job, or a template. If your response didn't mention anything about his profile, then it would be easy to see why he would have made that assumption. If you did mention his profile and he responded that way, well then, he's just a tool - and not someone you would want to waste your time with, anyway.

Online dating is simply an avenue to meet people you otherwise wouldn't cross paths with. Yes, there are liars and scammers out there - just as they are in everyday life. You meet them in bars, the grocery store, at work, you name it. You just need to be careful no matter where you meet people, and pay attention to any red flags that pop up. You don't necessarily have to be cynical, but do be aware, and resist wearing those rose-colored glasses.

Oh, and I met my husband online. Not through a dating site, though - we met on Yahoo Games.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
I've used the online dating thing many times. It gets exhausting. Went on a date Saturday night with a guy I met on CraigsList. We had to wait to be seated at the restaurant. While sitting at the bar talking, he got on my nerves so bad I finally said, "Look, Eric, we obviously have nothing in common, so maybe we should skip the dinner?" I practically ran to my car. Couldn't wait to get home, put on my pajamas, and watch a movie...

Greenie

Old 10-29-2007, 08:21 PM

783 posts, read 2,586,739 times
You would never find a decent guy like me on any Cyber dating services. I believe cyber dating is just plain risky and vague. Hurray to those who found true love but I bet you those successful are few/ minute.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
You would never find a decent guy like me on any Cyber dating services. I believe cyber dating is just plain risky and vague. Hurray to those who found true love but I bet you those successful are few/ minute.
Oh, so you mean that my friends are not decent? Wow. How offensive of you.

It's not for everyone. However, I find it a lot less risky than giving your phone number to some random dude you meet in a bar. A friend of mine married a guy she met in a bar - gave him her phone number the night she met him. Yet she was appalled when she found out I met my husband online - despite the fact that we had communicated for several months before we met (we lived 1100 miles apart, so we couldn't meet sooner), and I had talked to several people he knew before I met him in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I've used the online dating thing many times. It gets exhausting. Went on a date Saturday night with a guy I met on CraigsList. We had to wait to be seated at the restaurant. While sitting at the bar talking, he got on my nerves so bad I finally said, "Look, Eric, we obviously have nothing in common, so maybe we should skip the dinner?" I practically ran to my car. Couldn't wait to get home, put on my pajamas, and watch a movie...

Greenie
I probably wouldn't devote a Saturday night date to someone I was meeting for the first time. It's a lot easier if you make it a coffee date. If you hit it off, you can make further plans. If not, you've only lost a short time.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:33 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
BTW, the OP is a spammer.
The original poster only has this one post. How can she be a spammer?

Old 10-30-2007, 12:41 AM

312 posts, read 1,638,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
It's not for everyone. However, I find it a lot less risky than giving your phone number to some random dude you meet in a bar.
I agree.

I know many people that have met their SO's on-line either through dating services (ie match.com, etc) and on message boards/forums (simliar to this one).

I don't believe you will find "the one" on your first date using an on-line dating service. I'd expect to kiss a few frogs before finding a prince.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
The original poster only has this one post. How can she be a spammer?
They have only one post, and it's to tell everyone about this website they "tried." A quick Google of the username reveals that they've posted this identical post on many web pages. They didn't "find" the site - they own it.

Spammers have only one post 99% of the time - unless they duplicate their post on different forums on the boards. They don't stick around to participate in a discussion of their original post. Their objective is to get the name of their web site out there.

Believe me, we get spammers like this ALL the time on the forums I moderate. It's a common M.O. Not only is the drive-by post a giveaway, but many times, if you look at the email address they signed up with, it contains the domain name of the site they "found."

Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
What? No love for City-Data.com?
WOOHOO!!!!!! YAY RANCE-N-SWEDEN!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships