Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

I started a thread awhile ago asking what the big deal was about cheating in this day and age (i would've linked it but I forgot to, you can search for it if you want) and this is on a similar tangent.

Anyway, it seems despite the fact that we're supposedly so liberal, open and positive about sex, there seems a definite prudishness about how many people view sex. Whether it be women or men who like to have a lot of sex or sex partners, 'players, studs' or 'sluts, whores' or else women who are prostitutes or men who visit them. As long as they're both consenting adults who are forced into it, why is there such a aversion to this? Is it a built in moral code, or just snobbishness? Maybe the risk of STD's?

Don't bring in things like child/forced prostitution into it. If it's consensual, I don't really see the idea of prostitution as all that bad, unless you have a religious/moral objection over promiscuity. Because many people today basically do sell sex. (I also started a thread asking if a lot of dating was just prostitution by a different name).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If we're so liberal about sex
Premise fail

Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
It's unromantic.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM

31,027 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
I started a thread awhile ago asking what the big deal was about cheating in this day and age (i would've linked it but I forgot to, you can search for it if you want) and this is on a similar tangent.

Anyway, it seems despite the fact that we're supposedly so liberal, open and positive about sex, there seems a definite prudishness about how many people view sex. Whether it be women or men who like to have a lot of sex or sex partners, 'players, studs' or 'sluts, whores' or else women who are prostitutes or men who visit them. As long as they're both consenting adults who are forced into it, why is there such a aversion to this? Is it a built in moral code, or just snobbishness? Maybe the risk of STD's?

Don't bring in things like child/forced prostitution into it. If it's consensual, I don't really see the idea of prostitution as all that bad, unless you have a religious/moral objection over promiscuity. Because many people today basically do sell sex. (I also started a thread asking if a lot of dating was just prostitution by a different name).
"Anyway, it seems despite the fact that we're supposedly so liberal, open and positive about sex, there seems a definite prudishness "
Give that man a cigar! Because 90% of American society is not open minded about sex between adults. It is mostly a religous driven societal moral code that even some extemely Liberal people freak out over. Heaven forbid I want to marry a woman who has been with more men than I have women

Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,024 times
Here is my opinion, even though I would have no problem with Prostitution being legalized (If a woman actually decides on her own free will to have sex for money, and men will pay her for it that is her business, plus it could be regulated, and cut out pimps), I wouldn't do it. And the main reason is because it isn't legal, and you have no idea if the woman doing that is being forced to do it. Also, I just can't sleep with someone who doesn't want to be with me, and is only doing it, because she feels she has to. Just doesn't sit right with me. Many men don't care why she is there laying on that bed, and what her situation was that put her there. They want to think that she just woke up one day and said I want to sleep with men and make money doing it, cause I love sex. More cases than not it is not like that at all. Yes I do agree that people on both sides of the issue make it more black and white than it really it is, and do shame both the men and woman involved for reasons that have nothing to do with prostitution, but just their views on sex, but that doesn't mean we should condone it, if we really take a hard look at what is really happening with many of these women.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Not sure where you got that we were liberal with sex, but we are not. This country and the people within it demonize sex. People are crucified for their sexuality. Look no futher than our European brothers and sisters for what a liberal sex society looksl ike. We are nothing like that. Nudity on regular daytime TV, the masses not offended that someone as being looked at as an object of lust, etc. We should be so lucky. You should also note they have lower sex crimes.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
Puritanical attitudes persist. However, it could also be that since sex is now so readily available for free, that anyone having to pay for it is perceived as having something wrong with them.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:

Short answer: For an understanding of why there is an aversion to it, look no further than religion and politics, which, when it comes to sex and sexuality, are very difficult to separate. "Built-in moral code?" Hardly. People learn these attitudes because they are taught them.

Long answer for color: Last night I watched a movie called The Magdalene Sisters. It's based on true stories of women who suffered the misery of being forced to live--incarcerated really--in "Magdalene Asylums" in Ireland. If a woman or girl had "shamed" her family by having a child out of wedlock, having sex before marriage, and so on, she was sent there to "atone" for her "sins" by hard labor in a laundry, sometimes for life. Some 30,000 women were subjected to life in these hellholes, including Sinead O'Connor. (And people wonder why she ripped up a photo of the Pope on Saturday Night Live years ago.)

The DVD has an accompanying documentary,"Sex in a Cold Climate," which includes interviews with some of the women who lived in these laundries, the last of which shut down only in 1996. Despicable, the verbal, physical, and sexual abuse that was done to them. And when you hear the absolute garbage they were fed about sex, sexuality, and their own bodies, well, let's just say I nearly puked several times while watching it.

But that's just recently. A lot of it has to do with patriarchy, going back many centuries. A woman always knows her kid is hers. Back before DNA testing, a man, not so much. Controlling and locking women away, including shaming them out of having sex, was one way for men to ensure that when they married and had sex with their wives, their kids were theirs. It was a way of ensuring power--for men--through family lines, as well.

It really wasn't until recently that people began deriding men for sexuality and promiscuity more often. I think that's a step backwards, myself.

Last edited by Lilac110; 04-02-2013 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Here is my opinion, even though I would have no problem with Prostitution being legalized (If a woman actually decides on her own free will to have sex for money, and men will pay her for it that is her business, plus it could be regulated, and cut out pimps), I wouldn't do it. And the main reason is because it isn't legal, and you have no idea if the woman doing that is being forced to do it. Also, I just can't sleep with someone who doesn't want to be with me, and is only doing it, because she feels she has to. Just doesn't sit right with me. Many men don't care why she is there laying on that bed, and what her situation was that put her there. They want to think that she just woke up one day and said I want to sleep with men and make money doing it, cause I love sex.
I love hamburgers (not really, but...). Should I quit going to Five Guys because the employee doesn't really want to be a burger flipper?

Feel free to adjust this to any other job. Tax accountant, telephone customer service, professor, etc...

Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:

Why DOyou ask questions like this? Also, why wouldn't you think that cheating is a big deal? Why be in a relationship if you are going to cheat? Relationships with girls under 18, etc etc.

What's up with you, OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships