Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:55 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,174,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I personally would feel really sad if I'm still "dating" at 43.
Quote:
I already am settled by the way, but thanks anyway.

Doesn't sound like you are. Sounds like you are trying to backpedal right now. But if you are married, let's hope nothing bad happens, you don't get divorced or become widowed, etc. As others have said, life tends to throw curveballs. So stop being judgmental, because your crap stinks, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM

13,609 posts, read 9,647,657 times
Back to the original topic. First, a hearty congratulations to the OP for her confidence and dating-success! Second, an observation about so-called late bloomers. In one's teens and 20s, our looks are largely dictated by winning (or losing) the genetic lottery. Later in life, as many people become passive and corpulent, effort pays off more. The person who watches his/her weight, etc., can regain lost ground.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,788,947 times
I was "settled" when I was 27... married for 13-yeras before my Ex left. Honestly, that 13-years was miserable for the me and while I am unsettled (hey, I like that!)... anyway while I am unsettled now, I can honestly say I haven't been this happy in years. If you asked me in my early 20s if I would be miserable if I was alone, I would have probably thought so. But life has this way of not going as planned.

I haven't found anyone BTW. I mean, I tried a little, but was unsuccessful (met some really damaged men on Match and decided to cut lose from that site... also met some interesting characters in Eharmony). And I mean real characters... like the guy who insulted me as much as he could on our date and then tried to stick his tongue in my mouth when I left... or the guy who seemed great and almost perfect until I figured out he was married... or the guy who was end of the world prepper and gave me information about his "secret" bunker on our first and only date... I could go on, but those are the more interesting ones.

Online dating isn't for me. I figure I will just try to meet men "organically" though social networks and such. If I don't meet someone, oh well. I "want" a man in my life... I don't "need" one though.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,914,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I was "settled" when I was 27... married for 13-yeras before my Ex left. Honestly, that 13-years was miserable for the me and while I am unsettled (hey, I like that!)... anyway while I am unsettled now, I can honestly say I haven't been this happy in years. If you asked me in my early 20s if I would be miserable if I was alone, I would have probably thought so. But life has this way of not going as planned.

I haven't found anyone BTW. I mean, I tried a little, but was unsuccessful (met some really damaged men on Match and decided to cut lose from that site... also met some interesting characters in Eharmony). And I mean real characters... like the guy who insulted me as much as he could on our date and then tried to stick his tongue in my mouth when I left... or the guy who seemed great and almost perfect until I figured out he was married... or the guy who was end of the world prepper and gave me information about his "secret" bunker on our first and only date... I could go on, but those are the more interesting ones.

Online dating isn't for me. I figure I will just try to meet men "organically" though social networks and such. If I don't meet someone, oh well. I "want" a man in my life... I don't "need" one though.
Holy Cow!!!

Those are some really weird stories!!!!

Too funny! I had the shock face and the went to a chuckle.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:58 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,788,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Holy Cow!!!

Those are some really weird stories!!!!

Too funny! I had the shock face and the went to a chuckle.
Hehe... yeah, the best part is my friends who say I need to kiss a lot of frogs and that I am not giving it a long enough try online. I don't think I want to give it a longer try (although I might be able to write a best seller book out of it). Maybe I should reconsider after all.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM

297 posts, read 501,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Hehe... yeah, the best part is my friends who say I need to kiss a lot of frogs and that I am not giving it a long enough try online. I don't think I want to give it a longer try (although I might be able to write a best seller book out of it). Maybe I should reconsider after all.
I think you should try longer. I am single after 10 years and have just met a very nice guy on Match. I think if you read enough profiles, you will start to see which ones are sincere.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Call this my own little gross generalization, but I think men fear dying alone far more than women do, especially among middle-aged singles. Maybe it's because men have a lower threshhold for physical pain than women, and because they rely more on women than on other men for close emotional bonding. Women also tend to have a broader and stronger network of friends and relatives for companionship, and therefore feel less alone when single in their older years.

These are some of the same reasons given why widowers start dating much sooner (3-6 months) than widows (1-2 years). The study was on happily married partners. Men lose the emotional bonding, the person they can talk to about anything, and the one who usually does the social planning. Women can get physical bonding from women (not sex, hugs, leaning on each other, holding hands), and lord knows, women with women can TALK.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,715,991 times
Quote:
Hey there, thanks for the lecture. I am infact settled and happy, regardless of what you think. I will take whatever life throws in my way -as I have always had - but in the meantime, DATING AT 43 IS REALLY SAD.
Was smug and condescending the look you were aiming for?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:40 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Was smug and condescending the look you were aiming for?

Well, if she was trying to take swipes at anyone, it is an epic fail.

At least she managed to make someone look bad........ herself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2013, 03:07 PM

296 posts, read 570,971 times
I honestly hope I'll be married or in a long term relationship at 43-44. But it's tough with time moving so fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships