Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The implication of this question is that it requires money to be somebody or to be considered a worthwhile human being.
The other implication is that all it takes to be considered a worthwhile human being is some money.
Both implications are wrong.

I am more confident because of my knowledge, my abilities, and the fact that I actively constantly choose to do the right thing than anything else.

My wife said my confidence was the thing that attracted her the most...when we met in COLLEGE (zero cash).

Confidence should never stem from material goods...those are temporary and insubstantial.

Yes, college is probably the best place to not have money, as it's common and socially acceptable there, plus there is an aura of expected higher future income.

An educated burger flipper can't legitimately base confidence on his knowledge and aptitudes, since by conventional standards he has usually failed in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrottopHead View Post
I have looks money and power

I have power and a surge protector.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillReigning View Post
Are you really?

That's pretty incredible. Women from wealthy backgrounds/good jobs tend to be extremely adamant in dating a man who makes great money himself.

What's incredible about it? College students are allowed to be broke ass, it's practically expected. The idea is that the brokeness is temporary and will be followed by lots of money.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So, it looks like you have a lot of things you could improve upon to make yourself more desirable.

On the other hand, if a woman is unattractive, she's screwed for life and can do nothing to fix that.

Yep, seems fair.

HAHAHAHAHA like there's a meaningful chance a shy burger flipper isn't screwed.

FWIW attractiveness is not uiniversal; some conventionally '(un)attractive' people are viewed the opposite by some.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
21 year old women.

That's the standard?

They're the most desirable because MEN value looks and youth over basically everything else. Try talking to some women who are out of college and are actually supporting themselves. Basic supply and demand, those women are in high demand so they can be picky.

Why not try approaching average women, not the hottest, youngest possible women you can?

What if you are poor and unconfident and shy? It is an astonishingly rare event that I approach a woman. Where's equality when you need it?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's incredible about it? College students are allowed to be broke ass, it's practically expected. The idea is that the brokeness is temporary and will be followed by lots of money.
This is actually a very good point.
But my future earnings were not where I derived my confidence from.
None of it had anything to do with the having of money, the potential of having money, or someone else having money.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Ah, there's the rub. Or as I say, 'now you're getting picky'. I never get women I want and eventually end up with women I don't want, so I have two reasons to feel sorry for myself.
I would guess there are a lot of men in your shoes.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Primarily looks, though they can be compensated for by money and status.
How did this comment spawn 24 pages of comments?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Like attracts like. A good looking, hard working businesswoman making a six figure salary is going to be attracted to guys like her, that's who she interacts with on a daily basis.. it is what she's used to and that's her standard. She will probably end up with a guy who can understand her life and what she does for a living.

A guy who makes a lot of money and has a lot going for him is probably going to be looking for someone just like him. Most people are attracted to people at about their own looks and above. Very rarely do you see someone call another person hot who is clearly worse looking than they are.

People want to be attracted to and interested in the people they're going out with. It's usually not superficial.. it's simply what they're attracted to.

Just because you think you have the best personality in the world and that you're the nicest guy in the world doesn't make you that. It's not usually about the money or superficial things, it comes down to human attraction.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
How many burger flippers and 'clerks' do you see having a lot of success with hot women?
Who said anything about hot women? Burger flippers and clerks are not universally single, so they do have women interested and available to them. So it brings this back to entitlement. Most men can attract at least some women, but maybe not the Victoria's Secret model they feel they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships