Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You are taking a scenario that is way beyond anything I have been writing about. I agree with you, but it just doesn't apply to what I have been talking about.
It certainly might. It's not like this is exactly an uncommon scenario. The "creepy person" comes onto someone, she refuses, he decides it's her fault, he starts stalking her, perhaps he harms her. It happens every day and it starts somewhere. Sometimes, it starts just where you're talking about: the unwanted come-on, the blame on the victim. Then things progress and not in a good way.

So there is very very good reason NOT to encourage such an association. Okay, maybe the person won't turn out to be a stalker, or worse. But maybe he will turn out to be one of these things. It is the SMART thing to do to NOT encourage such an association as a person can not always tell who's going to fly off the handle and start stalking. If we did, such things would never happen; we'd always know when to nip them in the bud. We don't.

My advice is sound. I say to anyone reading this, DO NOT continue such an association. Don't be mean, but don't feel guilty for a minute for cutting the association off. If the person needs help, you can not be the one to do the helping. And as you can see from the OP's assertions, likely as not, the perpetrator will think you led him on, which can make things get even scarier.

Let people who need help, get the proper help. You are not the proper help and you have no "moral" (as the OP states) obligation to associate with someone who makes you feel creeped out or scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I already explained that this thread was directed only at people who were too introverted to deal with it properly.
Being introverted isn't a crime. You don't need to direct anything at them. By your reckoning, the cashier who smiles "have a nice day" or "may I help you" at a customer who then thinks she's "interested" in him would have some obligation to that person when he returns several times to try to ask her out.

Wrong.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:

Someone who gives you a creepy vibe, though perhaps worthy of pity, could also be very unstable.
Yeah, I made this mistake with my current lover. Should have followed my first instinct that this was a creepy character.

But I didn't and let the relationship simmer, figuring we were two lost souls, then it got serious, I found out more, started to put 2 & 2 togther, and now i am wanting to backpedal.

I plan on sort of cooling the relationship before ending it. Sort of a let down easy thing, because he is unstable, but more worried he'd hurt himself, not me.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:01 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Fine line. Sometimes, some things are better left unsaid, because being honest with that person may have repercussions. I.E., they become vindictive. Best to keep a distance but be polite.

For the most part, I'd be more comfortable with setting my boundaries and not compromising with someone who obviously doesn't respect my wishes or how I feel.

An unreciprocated emotion doesn't warrant being lead on, because that person can feel even more betrayed afterwards. They need to respect that the feeling isn't mutual without being so bitter. No harm done in keeping a distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships