Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
After ending a long relationship, is it normal to become slightly promiscuous and sleep around?
It's not normal for me, or most emotionally healthy people, in my opinion. But sure, there are plenty of people that do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
I (27m) never once cheated during the 10 years with my exwife, and she was my first GF. However, since then (actually the past 2-3 months) I've been with 6 women I met from dating sites, and have always used protection..

Is that normal and understandable?

Would you think less of a partner you got into a serious relationship with, knowing that's their history?
I wouldn't get into a relationship with someone that I knew had been that promiscuous, so I guess I would answer yes, I would think less of them, at least as far as relationship material.
But I would not expect anyone to tell me such a history - I don't think that is normal to expect or volunteer such information. So I would only expect to find out such a thing from others, and I would see that as a red flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
There is no general answer. Everyone has their own opinions and ideals towards a potential partner's sexual past.

You will find some women who do not care at all, and some women who may not want to involve themselves with you because of it.

We cannot please everyone all of the time. Do what is best for you.

PS, generally, I do not see how a partner would really even know these details early in a relationship (if at all).

Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

PS, generally, I do not see how a partner would really even know these details early in a relationship (if at all).

Agree.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
dude you are a 27 year old male. no one is going to judge you as promiscuous for that. it is kinda weird that you met all of them on dating sites, though. personally i would definitely think less of you for that. you might want to find some hobbies or something. step away from the internets

Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i dont know about normal but common yes. for the guy deprived of sex for years thru forced celebacy aka the institution of marriage, yes there will be some sex. for the woman it is usually referred to by divorcees as "the dirty dozen" rotten boyfriends the opposite of the man they married. this seems to be revenge driven. if you have a better explanation please post. these are widespread and insane events that we play out in 67% of marriage attempts, 79% on 2nd round. one of the great misdeeds of the church and family is to tell people marriage is a place where human sexuality is expressed.
i have only been celebate once, when i was married. if you want to live a life without sex, dont join the priesthood or convent, get married.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Is it normal to sleep around after ending a long relationship? Would you think less of a partner who did?

Normal is subjective.. It's for they themselves to judge and for others they choose to tell if they're feeling judgemental. Personally? I couldn't give a toss.. Everyone has a past.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
I think it might be understandable but I don't know if I'd call it normal. Everyone reacts differently, just be safe and smart about it.

I had a GF who did this after her husband cheated on and left her, and it was more than obvious she was doing it for the ego validation. When my husband did the same to me, I kept to myself, went through a spell of almost being fearful to leave the house, very distrustful of the outside world, having been betrayed by the person closest to me. The last thing I was worried about was sex.

I wouldn't think less of someone, although I don't inquire about past sexual history either. But I would ask yourself if this is what you really want, if you are trying to avoid dealing with any personal issues by doing this. Do you want a relationship or a series of ONS. Only you can answer that.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
If a guy told me he did this, I probably wouldn't date him. Just being honest.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I think it's pretty normal to want to sow your wild oats so to speak after getting out of a really long relationship. As long as you are safe and honest with these women about your intentions, then I don't see why your behavior now should negatively affect you later when you do want to have another relationship. I really don't care about a guy's past as long as he was safe and wasn't one of those guys who lied to get women to sleep with him.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM

31,033 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Is it normal to sleep around after ending a long relationship? Would you think less of a partner who did?

Normal is subjective.. It's for they themselves to judge and for others they choose to tell if they're feeling judgemental. Personally? I couldn't give a toss.. Everyone has a past.
Rep, ^^^^. Passing Judgement really reflects more negatively on the person doing the judging than the person being Judged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships