Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,766,074 times

Advertisements

Married people aren't better than single people. There are evil married couples as well as evil single people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,682,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It would do you well to stop competing as this is a matter of apples vs chocolate cake. Be content with your choices and life.
I'm quite pleased with my choices. If I wasn't then I would change them.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:27 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,682,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Married people aren't better than single people. There are evil married couples as well as evil single people.
Married people are supposedly healthier and more stable. Yet that doesn't mean they are better? A bit hypocritical don't you think?

Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,766,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Married people are supposedly healthier and more stable. Yet that doesn't mean they are better? A bit hypocritical don't you think?
It is if they preach that they are better than you. And I wouldn't do it. Since I know both have problems. But it doesn't deter me from still wanting a marriage down the road.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,713,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
He also knows that getting married means that our lives are now one and if we do divorce (which we won't - we don't view it as an option) - that our assets would be split 50/50 as they should be. He also knows that I would never keep him from his child unless he became a danger to him somehow.
Well your life is just rose petals then isn't it. Unfortunately for men, many many many women do not think the same way you do and only get married so that they can obtain financial security for themselves and their children. Do you think men just make these things up? Do you not see the legitimacy of our gripe? The reasons have been illustrated thousands of times by thousands of divorces in which the man is financially bound to a women he will never ever be with again. Have you been living on some other planet? Have you never seen this one sided and yes, sexist scenario play out? I have. I dont want the law of the land telling me that I am legally and financially bound to a woman that I will never even see again. Why do I and the woman that I love need a piece of paper to legally bind us together????? Why cant two people who love each other have children, intimacy, and all of the rest of the things that go hand in hand with wanting to build a life together, without getting the law involved a la Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie???

Last edited by Scottay; 04-19-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,041,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Well your life is just rose petals then isn't it. Unfortunately for men, many many many women do not think the same way you do and only get married so that they can obtain financial security for themselves and their children. Do you think men just make these things up? Do you not see the legitimacy of our gripe? The reasons have been illustrated thousands of times by thousands of divorces in which the man is financially bound to a women he will never ever be with again. Have you been living on some other planet? Have you never seen this one sided and yes, sexist scenario play out? I have. I dont want the law of the land telling me that I am legally and financially bound to a woman that I will never even see again. Why do I and the woman that I love need a piece of paper to legally bind us together????? Why cant we just be in love, have children, intimacy and all of the rest of the things that go hand in hand with wanting to build a life together without getting the law involved???? A la Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.
I do wonder how many people are actually in love with the person they're married to. I believe a lot get married because it's the societal norm, not because they want to.

Maybe people can be in love without getting married or even living together, just to keep the government out of their relationship.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times
Quote:
Well your life is just rose petals then isn't it. Unfortunately for men, many many many women do not think the same way you do and only get married so that they can obtain financial security for themselves and their children. Do you think men just make these things up? Do you not see the legitimacy of our gripe? The reasons have been illustrated thousands of times by thousands of divorces in which the man is financially bound to a women he will never ever be with again. Have you been living on some other planet? Have you never seen this one sided and yes, sexist scenario play out? I have. I dont want the law of the land telling me that I am legally and financially bound to a woman that I will never even see again. Why do I and the woman that I love need a piece of paper to legally bind us together????? Why cant two people who love each other have children, intimacy, and all of the rest of the things that go hand in hand with wanting to build a life together, without getting the law involved a la Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie???
Then maybe those men should have made better decisions in who they became legally tied to.

You guys are always complaining about being the ones who have to approach, being the ones who have to buy the engagement ring and do the proposing, then when you do you complain about the results of the decisions YOU made.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,511,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I found out today my ex got married. So I'm a little bummed. Yes he is in the past. But it makes you think about your own life.

I have some hope, but it seems not in the stars.
I'm sorry to hear that Raena. But honey believe it or not you're still young - and yes compared to me when I got married at 40 years old.

You're just facing a normal reaction when you find out your ex has found someone else. However trust me if you want love again, you will find it. All you need is a heart that is open to it, and that's all it takes. Well that and flirting with a man you find attractive with those big, beautiful blue eyes of yours.

I went through that phase too, I really didn't think I'd ever get married and even wanted to pursue overseas missionary work instead - since I am Protestant instead of Catholic but I actually wanted to be a nun. God had different plans though.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I'm quite pleased with my choices. If I wasn't then I would change them.
Then what's the argument about? That you think some people think they are better than you because of this or that? Who cares.
Quote:
In my life I've seen in play out the opposite. My parents divorced and my father never paid child support. Heck, my mother paid for my wedding and she paid for his tux. She's paying for him to come see his granddaughter. She's giving him money for lost wages while he visits. His third wife also out-earned him by 50-60k, she pays for his health insurance, gave him a down payment on his home.

You made the decision to marry who you married. Nobody else, so, and no offense, it's absurd that you are trying to hold other people responsible for your decisions.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times
Quote:
My life is pretty awesome!

I don't know what you are complaining about. Two people CAN have children, intimacy, and all the rest with out getting married. Marriage is a CHOICE. If you make a bad CHOICE - you cannot blame other people.

There are lots of bad people out there - women AND men. You are choosing to only see one side of things. I've seen bad things happen to both men AND women. If you don't want to get married - nobody is forcing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships