Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on this??? Some of mine just to throw out. Some people just love variety and maybe the case could be made that most do. If someone has a relatively large number of partners before marriage getting used to and accustomed to new experiences and the rush of lust, does that tendency go away for some in marriage easily? Some seem to enjoy a wide number of partners during singlehood but grow to love the safety and security of one partner once married if the sex is good. Others who enjoy multiple partners might just transition to being a swinger once married, keeping their desire for variety intact. I'm sure there is some research on this somewhere.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
This question will not have universal responses.

Plus it's not always easy to predict beforehand as because of a percentage of people changing over time imo.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I'm sure there is some research on this somewhere.
If you are sure there is research then why don't you spend some time looking for that research and then making an informed post instead of a post based on ignorance?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:31 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Having a large or small number of partners has no correlation to cheating, which is a character flaw of a person who promises to be faithful and isn't.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Having a large or small number of partners has no correlation to cheating
Citation requested

Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
I agree, there is no universal answer for this one.

I was somewhat active before marriage, but I have been a devoted husband. I think in part I was not in a huge hurry to get married in my 20s. By the time I married in my early 30s, I had found my life's love, the love life was good, and I did not feel deprived, so it was not a huge sacrifice. However, in my 40s, with a kid and endless midlife chores, stresses, marriage has its "moments." Most having to do with our reactions to stress and frustration of many sorts. But this is life. It rolls along, and changes. I don't think it is easy to forecast what people will do.

I am a different person than I was in my 20s, and my marriage has changed too. For me, the issue in marriage has been that I really took seriously the vows I made, and I avoid situations were I might feel tempted to break them. I am not particularly virtuous, just practical and reasonably traditional and confident in my values (a socially conservative liberal, by choice). But my choices are mine alone. I have been married long enough, and had enough of my own challenges, that I am not inclined to moralize on the topic.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:42 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Citation requested
I found this on livescience. It doesn't quite agree with the above posters claim even though I agree with them , but here's the info:

How Likely Is Your Partner to Cheat? | Personality & Infidelity | Sexual Behavior in Relationships | LiveScience

"Sexual personality

But most important of all were the participants' sexual personalities. Men who reported that they easily became sexually excited were more likely to cheat. For every unit increase in sexual excitability, propensity to stray went up 4 percent. Women's sexual excitability wasn't related to cheating, though their relationship satisfaction was. Being unhappy in a relationship or feeling incompatible with a partner increased the likelihood that a woman would cheat by between 2.6 percent and 2.9 percent.

For both men and women, fear of sexual consequences and anxiety about sexual performance influenced infidelity. When people had little concern about the consequences of sex — including pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and being caught Tweeting pictures of your crotch to strangers — they were more likely to step out on their partner. One unit of increase in concern on this scale made women 13 percent less likely to cheat and men 7 percent less likely to cheat.

Anxiety about one's own sexual performance had the opposite effect. People who worried a lot about their ability to stay aroused or orgasm cheated more often —women by 8 percent for every increase in concern about their sexual function and men by 6 percent."

Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
If you are sure there is research then why don't you spend some time looking for that research and then making an informed post instead of a post based on ignorance?
For you my darling.

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
I think generally being with multiple partners is a flag of a person who may cheat.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

What does that link have to do with the OP's question or my response to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships